CRF80 Beefing Up The Suspension

I am looking into getting a CRF80 for my Son. Probably a 2005 or newer. He is on the heavy side so I want to beef up the Fork and Shock Springs to compensate. The CRF80 is perfect for him to learn how to use a clutch and the bike itself is dead reliable. Do after market Springs exist? I want the bike to be stable or else, what's the point?

I believe that the forks on the 80 are the same as the 100. BBR makes some heavy spring stuff for the 100's. How heavy is your son? At the beginning at least, it may be enough to just put some heavier oil in the forks. I'm 6'2/190 (probably almost 200 with gear) and I ride the heck out of a stock spring 100 on motocross tracks with nothing more than some heavy oil. I am upgrading because I really am too much for the bike, but I've gotten by for this long with it. If your son is 150 or under I imagine he could get by, especially just for learning.

I believe that the forks on the 80 are the same as the 100. BBR makes some heavy spring stuff for the 100's. How heavy is your son? At the beginning at least, it may be enough to just put some heavier oil in the forks. I'm 6'2/190 (probably almost 200 with gear) and I ride the heck out of a stock spring 100 on motocross tracks with nothing more than some heavy oil. I am upgrading because I really am too much for the bike, but I've gotten by for this long with it. If your son is 150 or under I imagine he could get by, especially just for learning.

How the heck are you riding a little 100 at your size, especially on a MX track. I would pay to see that. Getting back to the original poster, You might be better off getting the 100, it will last him longer. Not much difference in seat height, maybe 1 1/2 inches. My son learned on the 100 when he was 10. I bought it used and he used it for a year and I got my money back out of it. The 100 is easier to sell then the 80.

How the heck are you riding a little 100 at your size, especially on a MX track. I would pay to see that.

Not very well. I look like donkey kong in mario kart for sure. I can't jump or take bumps, but I do pretty well on tracks without a lot of kick on the jumps.

How the heck are you riding a little 100 at your size, especially on a MX track. I would pay to see that. Getting back to the original poster, You might be better off getting the 100, it will last him longer. Not much difference in seat height, maybe 1 1/2 inches. My son learned on the 100 when he was 10. I bought it used and he used it for a year and I got my money back out of it. The 100 is easier to sell then the 80.

The suspension is the same 80/100, difference in ride height is strictly tire diameter. 100 does have a heavy clutch vs. the 80.

I'd also go with the 100, but be sure to pick up an aftermarket perch and motion pro cable for it too.

I was thinking about getting him a 100, but I thought it would be too much for a beginer. Now maybe I'll rethink it. Why the clutch perch change? What would you recommend as a replacement? Thanks very much for the recommendations.

I have a 100 where I just bought a used $40 seat off ebay and whacked off 1"-2" of foam. Worked fine for my 10 yr old to reach the ground. He's 11 now, and I just put back the stock seat. They grow pretty fast at that age. So like others said, you're better off getting a 100 and bypassing the 80.

Our clutch isn't really hard to pull, but it's grabby. Don't know how to resolve this, but it makes taking off much harder for my son. Once he is rolling, though, he's peffectly fine on it. We don't really ride very tough tracks, just wide jeep roads for now. And for a beginner on a clutched bike, that's about all you can ask of them. Stay on wide smooth dirt roads for the 1st yr, and the 100 will be perfect for them.

Buy your kid the 80. Put a lock on the fridge, and tie him to a treadmill. Sound cruel, but letting a kid get fat is cruelty on its own.

MSR raptor (?) perch & motion pro cable help to ease the pull on the clutch.