pads scraping the disk

Hello. Is it normal that brake pads scrape the disk so much that they don't allow to spin the wheel round? When I push on caliper with knee to widen gap between pads, wheel spins easily. Then I pull the brake lever and pads scrape the disk again. Can this lead to overheating during riding? Watch the video please. Thanks for advices :thumbsup:

Looks like they are hanging a bit.

Have you replaced the fluid lately?

Also...the brake pad pin and caliper pin can get crusty over time. I pull the pad pin periodically and clean it with a Scotch Brite pad (or steel wool works well too) and then lube it with a thin coat of Bel Ray water proof grease.

Push the rubber boot back on the caliper pin and make sure it's clean under there. WD-40 works wonders for cleaning out under the boot.

Of course...do this without the pads in the caliper so you don't grease them up.:thumbsup: Hose the rotor with brake cleaner after servicing the caliper.

-Jay

Edited by Jays07WR450

Thanks for reply :thumbsup:

No I haven't replaced fluid.

And I have cleaned and lubed these pins, I can move caliper with my fingers easily.

I also tried to push these 2 pistons on caliper by hand. I was able to push in only one of them few milimeters, even pushing with huge force on it. Second one wasn't moving at all. Master cylinder cover was off, of course. So I took arc joint pliers and pushed it in...

My question is - should I be able to move these pistons by hand? Or is it normal that they are moving heavily (only with pliers)? Thanks

Thanks for reply :thumbsup:

No I haven't replaced fluid.

And I have cleaned and lubed these pins, I can move caliper with my fingers easily.

I also tried to push these 2 pistons on caliper by hand. I was able to push in only one of them few milimeters, even pushing with huge force on it. Second one wasn't moving at all. Master cylinder cover was off, of course. So I took arc joint pliers and pushed it in...

My question is - should I be able to move these pistons by hand? Or is it normal that they are moving heavily (only with pliers)? Thanks

I can't move mine by hand...gotta have something to lever them in with. I use a "C" clamp against the inner pad to push the caliper cups back in.

Gunky fluid will make things sluggish. Someone else may know the mechanism and flow charistisics of the resvoir...perhaps there is a small port that's partly blocked.

No, I can't push mine in by hand. I too am a believer in brake line flushing. I would push the piston in, flush, and bleed.

We bought a 99 200EXC last year and this process fixed the same problem you are describing.

Could it simply be the adjusting screw on the lever?

I've got the same problem with my Braking Supermoto setup on my 650R. Lots of front brake drag. Cant figure it out. Pistons move freely, fluid is fresh.

Edit* Seems like the master cylinder could have a blocked bleed port. I'm gonna disassemble and clean it tomorrow. Maybe this could help the op.

Yeah, if you do it, write the result if it helped or not :thumbsup:

I can push in my pistons with my thumb. If I push one piston in, the other will move out. Maybe rebuild the caliper.