Protective gear for trials riding?

Dumb question, but I'm a newbie to trials.

When I ride trails on my YZ250, I wear boots, knee pads (or braces), chest protector, elbow pads and helmet. On an MX track, I'll always wear knee braces, neck brace (Leatt) and padded shorts too.

But that sounds excessive for trials, and might get in the way of flexibility.

So, besides the usual boots/helmet, what do you guys wear and/or recommend for trials?

Thx!

You should ride in what you feel comfortable in. Until the 1970s, nobody wore a helmet even in world round competition trials. It's the last offroad motorcycle sport in which most people seem to still wear an open face helmet, though there is a growing number of full face helmet wearers appearing. I see guys wearing everything from jeans, work boots, no gloves and a tee shirt, to the latest sleek trials specific outfit, to full motocross gear at local events. I personally like an openface helmet, trials boots, MX pants (with knee guards in), long sleeve jersey and gloves. I think a majority of riders dress in these items in my area.

Edited by dirt duchess

lateride9-1.jpg

bigsmokycreek.jpg

P1130594.jpg

I ride a lot of trails fast on my trials bike though....

Can you see me? This is my driveway up to my summer home.

P1130570.jpg

I wear the normal trials stuff (open helmet, trials boots....) at other than really rocky or over the top events. At that point I have a set of Fox elbow guards (pretty OK) and a Fox Proframe chest protector (the best I've ever had hands down) that I wear. That said, if someone made a trials specific closed faced helmet similar to the downhill bicycle stuff, I'd gladly wear that. :thumbsup:

Agreed , w usual trials boots/helmet gloves. I wear knee pads under mx pants, in summer i wear shorts(zip off leg overboot riding pants) I get a burn from time to time BUT it gets REALLY HOT here in summer. I had at one time A GIRO FLINT SC (downhill MTB ) helmet that had a removable face guard .. IT was a great helmet for trials, but it wore out and they dont make them anymore, but they can be found from time to time on Ebay... I also usually wear long sleeves ( as I have been know to bang a tree or two from time to time) and the GREENBRIAR thorn/vines can be pretty NASTY here in BAMA...Chad:cheers:

I personally like an openface helmet, trials boots, MX pants (with knee guards in), long sleeve jersey and gloves. I think a majority of riders dress in these items in my area.

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I don't have trials boots (yet), so am sticking with work boots that go over the ankles....my MX boots are too stiff. I did pick up a 3/4 open face helmet, since that seems to be what most guys wear for trials...got a nice one on sale recently. I figured the field of view would be better with the open face....though if I do trails I'll put on my full face Shoei.

I'll just use my MX pants, jerseys and pads along with gloves other than that.

Any good sources/brand recommendations for trials boots up north of the border (eg. Canada for the geographically challenged :thumbsup: )?

Any good sources/brand recommendations for trials boots up north of the border (eg. Canada for the geographically challenged :thumbsup: )?

The Gaerne Balance and Alpinestar No Stop are two of the most common brands. Then There's Hebo and Novagar. I got my Gaernes on E-bay.

If you can't find anything in your area, another choice might be the Fox Comp 5 boot. They are tall, light and sort of soft and not overly expensive. Not the best MX boot, but would be a suitable and comfortable alternative for trials and better than workboots.

The Gaerne Balance and Alpinestar No Stop are two of the most common brands. Then There's Hebo and Novagar. I got my Gaernes on E-bay.

If you can't find anything in your area, another choice might be the Fox Comp 5 boot. They are tall, light and sort of soft and not overly expensive. Not the best MX boot, but would be a suitable and comfortable alternative for trials and better than workboots.

Problem buying off the net is you don't know what the fit is like. Every brand seems to be different. I wear Tech 3's in a size 10 for MX/Trails, but wear a 9 street shoe. A 9.5 would likely be better, but the local shop only seems to have even sizes and no trials boots. Not sure how accurate Gaerne sizes are.

I'll keep looking for a local dealer somewhere. The work boots are pretty thick, over the ankles and have steel toes, so they'll do fine for learning at the moment.

I'd bet some of the folks on this site could help you with boots when you're ready:

http://www.trialsontario.ca/

For what it's worth, I've had both Novagar and Gaerne and they were both good boots. The quality on the Gaerne was a bit better but there is a difference in cost to match.

My criteria; leather and a Vibram sole.

IMO the brown leather three buckle Gaernes are the best; stitched leather with a Vibram sole for ease of walking. A good application of hot SnoSeal seals them up for wet condition.

The speeds in Trials are lower than other motorsports but the distance to the ground is often greater because of terrain so go with what you are comfortable with.

Posted (edited)

It took me a really really long time riding trials to wear an open face trials helmet. The lack of riding protection compared to enduro riding did put me off for a long time.
I was the only rider with a full face helmet in the club for years. It was hot and heavy. The rest of my riding gear is a riding jersey, mx pants and boots with tread, gloves.

Trials riders minimize to fancy thin lycra style riding gear, like cycling. Not for me.

But now, I have an open face trials helmet. Reason is I started cross training on MTB, riding gear even less, cycling helmet, considering I do XC, not DH.
I am used the feeling now and at times have came off and luckily not had a face plant but taken skin off here and there, knees and elbows.

Trials is very low speed, but if ripping between sections or fire roads, take it easy, trials bikes are less forgiving when ridden at speed.

Edited by subanator

On my dirt bike, I'm fully covered, including knee braces (torn ACL in the past).  On my trials bike, on my property, I'm using trials boots and helmet and elbow/knee pads.  I'm headed out to Colorado later this month.  I will probably go back to my knee braces as I'm going to do a few days of training to help with larger obstacle techniques.  Would hate to hyperextend my knee again.

On 8/5/2018 at 1:47 PM, markbfe501 said:

including knee braces (torn ACL in the past)

Hey Mark, had the same injury. I also ride with full knee braces (both knees - as the other knee brace is prevention than support). They are add the confidence and stability I need, by an added discomfort by days end.

Just a good tip I found, I got onto my MTB to strengthen the knee muscles, really helps pulling the knee together tighter and reduces re-injury.
Warning - MTB is just as addictive as riding motorbikes, I am spending more time on the MTB.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, subanator said:

Hey Mark, had the same injury. I also ride with full knee braces (both knees - as the other knee brace is prevention than support). They are add the confidence and stability I need, by an added discomfort by days end.

Just a good tip I found, I got onto my MTB to strengthen the knee muscles, really helps pulling the knee together tighter and reduces re-injury.
Warning - MTB is just as addictive as riding motorbikes, I am spending more time on the MTB.

Thx.  Hot as heck here in lower Alabama, and I get a lot of time out in the heat.  So rather than MTB, I have several Hobie ProAngler Kayaks (pedal kayaks) that I work my knee with, plus I end up at the Cold Hole on the river I live on.  Water is crystal clear and 68 degrees F year round.  With a 6 pack of a good ice cold amber ale, one of my favorite places on earth.