Low end power

I am a total newbee to this forum but not dirt bikes (coming from a Honda XR650, Maico 250, and Yamaha 125).

I just got the green machine new 08 KLX450.

I put a new battery and battery tender harness on it because the brand new battery was dead and would not take charge right there in the shop showroom. I may even disconnect the headlight or put a switch on it so the charger will work better.

I have JD jetting kit, sprockets, oil, and filters, fork springs, and shock spring on order. I could not force myself to pull the trigger on exhaust. I am after XR650 type low end power if possible (and could care less about high rpm power) if anyone can give me a hint on exhaust or mods I would appeciate it.

Also, I need to block off the AIS but can't find anything in the TT store. Anyone know of a link?

Hi and welcome. Go to appliedrace.com for the AIS blockoff.

I did the AIS block off with bits and pieces I already had layin' around. Cost me nothing.

This...earlier thread... I posted may also interest you. I have a 12T front sprocket, JD Jetting kit, and an FMF header and can. Low end is mighty fine.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the links Dirk and DRZ.

I just put in my order to applied racing! They have a lot of cool bike gadgets in their web store.

DRZ, In that link to your earlier thread I saw ref to an o-ring mod so I will have to do some searching on what that is all about. Nice looking exhaust!

Open up your airbox by doing the "airbox mod" and put on an aftermarket exhaust can. I have the FMF Q4 which will give you more more power/flow but still maintain on the quiet side:thumbsup:

DRZ400.. I have a buddy who just bought a 08 KLX450R and is looking for a bit lower gearing. We see stock front sprocket is 13T. Looking at Rocky Mountain ATV and all the sprockets, I dont see that a 12 is available. Where did you find the 12? Any issues with wearing the guide on the swingarm excessively?

How about rear sprocket? I think he said he has a 49 tooth which he believes to be stock. Can he go to a 51 or 52? Any clearance problems? Longer chain required?

I'll chime in...

Just ask your local shop to order in a 12t sprocket for you. JT makes one...sunline...RK...to name a few. Cost ya $12-$20 approx.

I don't have any wear issues...your slider will wear more due to the fact that you've changed the running angles of the chain/countershaft but i have been running it for 2yrs and i have no concerns...but i also run a TMDesigns slider.

50t rear is stock...you can add 2 teeth in the rear but any more and a longer chain is necessary.

It is much cheaper to drop a tooth on the front...you don't have to worry about chain lenght(in fact you have a little more room)but one tooth on the front is close to adding 3-4 teeth in the rear...its a big difference. I think you will find the 12t is great for tight single track...i run 12/53..its a tractor. I love it. nuff said.

Thanks for the quick reply Dirk. I did the same with my '08 YZ450 (dropped a 1 tooth in front as the quicker, cheaper solution). I was surprised that my friend couldn't easily find a 12 tooth front for his KLX450R and was concerned there was some 'big' reason why most manufacturers didn't make one.

It's great to have the benefit of everyone's experience here. I also see now that he can order the JT 12 tooth sprocket through the TT store.

I got my 12 tooth from the TT store

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2009/default.asp?p=507

part number

1212-0301

I put my Race Tech rear spring, AIS block off, Vent kit, JD jetting and needle, O-Ring mod, and 12 - tooth on Sunday. It runs good but still has the intermittant high idle that settles after a few seconds after reving. I saw Yanny post that diconnecting the gear sensor under the tank would fix this so I will try that.

I need to get a fork tool and fork oil yet to do my fork RT springs. I have a 53T sprocket and new chain ready if the 12T is not enough for the tight muddy trails where I ride. I may be looking into a fan mod also.

Oh ya, I still need to order that Pro Moto Billit exhaust insert.

Geez there is so much to do to make these green monsters work the way you want.

DRZ400.. I have a buddy who just bought a 08 KLX450R and is looking for a bit lower gearing. We see stock front sprocket is 13T. Looking at Rocky Mountain ATV and all the sprockets, I dont see that a 12 is available. Where did you find the 12? Any issues with wearing the guide on the swingarm excessively?

My 12T is a JT. No major issues, but it will naturally wear a little faster than a 13T. I have the TM Designworks chain slider installed, and one of their guides on order, since those stock components wear faster than what's acceptable, anyhow.

:smirk:.

Thanks again KLX450-DIRK, wielywilly-g and DRZ400SK4. I will point my friend to this thread and have been encouraging him to join TT. He may have done so already.