HELP - Airbox to Carburetor

Alright, I need some help. Bike is an '04 250x, new to me, first time with a dirt bike. I hinged up the subframe and locked it, removed the carb and rejetted it.

I got the carburetor back in, everything is hooked (although I will say the hot start was a b*tch to get screwed back in place!). So I swing down the subframe which has the airbox attached and for the life of me I can't get the airbox boot on the carburetor. There just is no access from the right side of the bike and from the left side, I can't get it on.

Anyone suggest an easy way to do this? There is a small tab on the bottom of the airbox boot but its impossible I tell ya.

Help?!

Yeah..its a royal PIA. I remember reading a thread on everyone's tips...you might find it if you search this forum.

The biggest cause of airboot not going on is the vent tubes that pull the boot one direction when you try to pop the boot back on. I hear that installing a crankcase vent system makes the assembly a lot easier. I bought one and its installed but I haven't had to remove the airboot recently to test it out.

Anyway, sometimes it pops on the first time...sometimes it takes 50 times. Sometimes walking away and coming back makes it go on too. Lube the inside of the boot lip with silicone grease...silicone won't eat the rubber...other lubes might. I've tried guiding the boot to the airboot box opening side of the bike with a large screwdriver and rotate (slam) the subframe down in a quick motion. You can use a screwdriver and the tab to guide the boot on. I wish there was a easy way but I don't know of one. It's always been a PIA when I've done it.

It might seem a long way around but the 10 minutes it takes to remove the exhaust and rear shocker make the carb boot fitting a piece of p1ss, well worth doing IMO :thumbsup:

Yeah..its a royal PIA. I remember reading a thread on everyone's tips...you might find it if you search this forum.

The biggest cause of airboot not going on is the vent tubes that pull the boot one direction when you try to pop the boot back on. I hear that installing a crankcase vent system makes the assembly a lot easier. I bought one and its installed but I haven't had to remove the airboot recently to test it out.

Anyway, sometimes it pops on the first time...sometimes it takes 50 times. Sometimes walking away and coming back makes it go on too. Lube the inside of the boot lip with silicone grease...silicone won't eat the rubber...other lubes might. I've tried guiding the boot to the airboot box opening side of the bike with a large screwdriver and rotate (slam) the subframe down in a quick motion. You can use a screwdriver and the tab to guide the boot on. I wish there was a easy way but I don't know of one. It's always been a PIA when I've done it.

Appreciate it. Who ever designed these bikes didn't take user friendliness into account I'll tell you that!

It might seem a long way around but the 10 minutes it takes to remove the exhaust and rear shocker make the carb boot fitting a piece of p1ss, well worth doing IMO :thumbsup:

I'll have to take another look when I go home tonight but if you put the boot and subframe on first, can you get access to do the rear shocker afterwards?

I'll have to take another look when I go home tonight but if you put the boot and subframe on first, can you get access to do the rear shocker afterwards?

Yes, if you remove the exhaust the rear shock goes in and out on the RHS:banana:

Like i said before, it seems a long-winded way of doing it but i'd rather spend 10 minutes taking the shocker out than 2 hours ferkin about with the carb boot:banghead:

Yes, if you remove the exhaust the rear shock goes in and out on the RHS:banana:

Like i said before, it seems a long-winded way of doing it but i'd rather spend 10 minutes taking the shocker out than 2 hours ferkin about with the carb boot:banghead:

Are you saying to take the entire shock off or just unbolt the top and move it back?

Are you saying to take the entire shock off or just unbolt the top and move it back?

The whole shock (2 x bolts)

i struggled with the same thing untill i dropped the shock out the bottom of the bike and it was soooo much easier i ll never do it any diffrent

For me I fought it for 15 minutes and then with out changing anything I was doing it just slipped on. Also for the record at later times when I was rejetting the bike I didnt have to take the carb off. I just loosened clamps rotated carb slightly to the right exposing the bowl to the right side of the bike. Took the big 17 mm plug out of the bottom of the bowl and changed the jets.

For me I fought it for 15 minutes and then with out changing anything I was doing it just slipped on. Also for the record at later times when I was rejetting the bike I didnt have to take the carb off. I just loosened clamps rotated carb slightly to the right exposing the bowl to the right side of the bike. Took the big 17 mm plug out of the bottom of the bowl and changed the jets.

Same thing with me. It's interesting that walking away and coming back is sometimes the best approach too. It just fall right in place then.

put some lube on the boot. i use axle grease

I removed the shock. It seems longer to do at first glance, but its easier in every way to get the boot back on with it removed. Sometimes not having to stress over something so small is worth the extra 4 minutes. Trust me,...getting the boot on was a 2 day process after I walked away after about an hour of messing with it. Sounds silly to even say I spent that much time on it, but I refused the easy way out,...until day two when I said "screw it". Got it on first try with the shock removed. I also removed the back half of the airbox, but that was overkill.

I greased mine for the first time last weekend and was stunned when it went right on, first time. So stunned I'm still not sure its right even though I've looked all around it to make sure its on. Check the right side of the boot to make sure.

I've always had to raise the subframe way up to get my shock out...How the heck can you get it out with the subframe down? Is it my header pipe that is in the way? I always just remove the muffler from the pipe and leave the pipe in place.

I must have got real lucky on mine as it went on very simple.

Steps

Install carb back to motor

Install the rear shock -- Note I took mine all the way off to make carb removal that much easier.

I then put a very small amount of bearing grease on the outer edge of carb - the stuff in the small can blue or red.

I then used a heat gun to slighly warm up the air boot too make it more flexible. Make sure not to melt it. Run heat gun on Low setting.

Make sure the clamp on air boot is loose.

Then loosen sub frame and my air boot slid right on to the carb.

Tighten all back up and reassemble bike.

if your not going to take the shock off loosen the carb on the engine side then the carb will move around and the air boot will go over much easier with a little grease. also on the hot start take it off on the handle bar and take the whole cable off with the carb

What I do, and so far it has never taken me more then one or two tries:

1. Remove the rear shock top bolt so it can be pushed to the side.

2. Leave the band clamp between the carb and the engine loose so you can twist the carb back and forth.

3. Put the band clamp for the rear on the air box. Tighten it to the point of *just* snugging up to the boot. This allows the boot to keep a round shape.

4. Put a thin layer of grease around the inside of the boot where it slides onto the carb

5. Lower the subframe, and while pulling down a bit on the subframe with one hand, twist the carb back and forth.

The boot will pretty much slide right on.

Jim.

So I took another stab at the boot again today and finally got it on. I tried using some silicone grease, then heating up the boot and a combination of both and no luck.

I ended up removing the boot from the airbox (7 screws) and wigglin on the boot with the subframe still in the up position. Then swinging it down and screwing the boot back together with the airbox. Took a few but went on super easy, I was able to get access on the boot and turn it back and forth and it just popped right back on.

Learned for next time.

I used a lot of WD40 in the rubber boot and it sliped very nyce and easy in the carb :smirk:

After reading these posts and having the same problem, it didnt seem clear on how to do this following the posts so had to experiment and figure it out. Here's what you have to do to make this easy:

1. Remove both shock bolts and remove shock

2. Remove exhaust header

3. Remove link connection to swingarm

4. Swing down subframe (to reconnect airboot and hoses)

5. Slide shock back in from the top right side by where the exhaust pipe and shock reservior sit (there isnt enough room to install from below the swingarm and pipe header has to come off to provide enough room to install from the side)

6. Bolt shock and linkage back together