Why the T-Vent Mod?

Hi all, I know how to do the T-Vent mod (http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php?topic=21395.0) I know the situations of where its useful (starting up after dumping the bike), but I can't find an explanation of technically what does the T-Vent mod correct? Gas dumping into the float bowl and getting past the float needle?!?

I am asking because I plan to dump my DR350 - intentionally (actaully dragging it under a gate).

thanks

what does the T-Vent mod correct? Gas dumping into the float bowl and getting past the float needle?!?

The T goes into a vent hose. This hose is intended to allow air (and preferably nothing else) into the carb.

In stock trim, the hose runs upward toward the top of the airbox.

If (when) the bike falls over, gas from the float bowl drains out through the vent hose. When you stand the bike back up, some gas remains in this hose, and is unable to quickly drain. This gas plugs the vent, preventing the vent hose from doing it's job, and therefore preventing the bike from starting.

The T-vent mod gives any gas trapped in the hose a gravity assisted exit, thus alleviating the problem.

A simpler solution is to remove the vent hose entirely, but this would increase the chances of dust & crap finding it's way into the carb.

The vacuum created by the carb will pull water into the carb vent lines and "clog" them. If you run into deep water and this happens you have to keep the throttle partially opened or the engine will die. THe "T" mod gives air another path for air to come in through and it works.

Thats great - thanks guys.

Hi Guys.

Is this mod only relevant to bikes with the vacuum operated petcock or does it apply to all models?

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi Guys.

Is this mod only relevant to bikes with the vacuum operated petcock or does it apply to all models?

Cheers,

Geoff

Has nothing to do with vacuum other than that which is created in the vent line when fluid is trying to exit. This will work with any float bowl type carb.

So in other words, I need it on my DR350 even though I don't have a vacuum tap.

OK, thanks.

Good to do on any bike that's going through water deeper than the bottom of the vent lines.

Works great, was very frustrating before!