Wr250 -won't start and off on trip in a few days

My friend has a WR250 trail bike. 09 model I think.

He parked it up the other week but now it will not start. Battery is good, it has gone to the dealers now but they have not fixed it yet.

Any suggestions? has this happened before to anyone?

Help much appreciated.

Check the WR250 forum. From what I have read, there are three areas for trouble. 1) Bad or weak battery - it take a good battery to fire the FI. 2) Incorrectly installed mods and programmer. 3) Bad fuel pump. When the ignition is turned on, does the fuel pump whine, or does it sound differently than when it ran. If no whine, or if it sounds different, then check the pump. The only other problem I have read about was a cracked spark plug, but this casued intermitant operation.

No disrespect intended, but is the "run" switch at the throttle, in addition to the ignition on?

Check the WR250 forum. From what I have read, there are three areas for trouble. 1) Bad or weak battery - it take a good battery to fire the FI. 2) Incorrectly installed mods and programmer. 3) Bad fuel pump. When the ignition is turned on, does the fuel pump whine, or does it sound differently than when it ran. If no whine, or if it sounds different, then check the pump. The only other problem I have read about was a cracked spark plug, but this casued intermitant operation.

No disrespect intended, but is the "run" switch at the throttle, in addition to the ignition on?

A non Yamaha place had a look first for him but no idea so he moved it to the supplying dealer, not sure how much time they have spent on it yet.

It is low mileage and has no mods other than heated grips. He did a day on the lanes, washed it and put it away. I will pass on the message about the fuel pump.

I assume they have a side stand switch? or one on the clutch too? It was parked up for a few weeks.

Side stand switch, plus other interlocks. Go to the WR250R website, they have a free PDF download manual available.

You need to listen for the fuel pump at power on. It makes a hissing/whirring sound that terminates when the pressure is full. It will not do anything if the stop switch on the right side grip housing is off, or bad/not making contact, you won't get it to start.

Define start: spins with starter, but won't light off, or won't even spin? Fuses under left front shroud, and under left side cover below seat. If you can't find link, read back in here, Greer has left it several times. Still no luck, I'll look it up for you.

A non Yamaha place had a look first for him but no idea so he moved it to the supplying dealer, not sure how much time they have spent on it yet.

It is low mileage and has no mods other than heated grips. He did a day on the lanes, washed it and put it away. I will pass on the message about the fuel pump.

I assume they have a side stand switch? or one on the clutch too? It was parked up for a few weeks.

I'd make sure the grips haven't wiped out the electrical system. It isn't very robust, and has enough work dealing with the lights an FI. The grip add on is where I'd start.

Side stand switch, plus other interlocks. Go to the WR250R website, they have a free PDF download manual available.

You need to listen for the fuel pump at power on. It makes a hissing/whirring sound that terminates when the pressure is full. It will not do anything if the stop switch on the right side grip housing is off, or bad/not making contact, you won't get it to start.

Define start: spins with starter, but won't light off, or won't even spin? Fuses under left front shroud, and under left side cover below seat. If you can't find link, read back in here, Greer has left it several times. Still no luck, I'll look it up for you.

this is his reply, unfortunately he is not near me and I have my own bike to prep now ready for the off. Any advice we can come up with will be passed on to him.

The bike wont start - its as though the kill switch is on ( but it isnt).

The battery is full - everything working - lights,horn etc - but when I try to start the bike there is absolutely nothing happening at all.(all electrics stay on so it cant be the battery). No clicking etc - just silence.

I'd make sure the grips haven't wiped out the electrical system. It isn't very robust, and has enough work dealing with the lights an FI. The grip add on is where I'd start.

I fitted the grips for him over a year ago and they have been fine. They are the low watt elements which you bond under the normal grip.

My reaction would have been to see if it would bump start but if it is total silence the circuit must not be making.