Sign in to follow this  

Torque Wrench

there have been a lot of threads on this and you will get quite a variety of answers. personally i think you need 2, a 1/4" for the small stuff, and a 3/8" for the larger stuff. even a 3rd for the axle nut. i use all 3. but in my opinion, i would get a 1/4" first as the fasteners you will use it on are he easiest to strip. just my 2 cents.

It'd surprise me if there wasn't a lab somewhere locally that could at least verify, if not cal, a torque wrench. It's not hard to do, but you do need the equipment. If you keep an eye out on craigslist/ebay, you can find digital torque testers for a few hundred bucks. (that's how we bought the two we have at work.)

I'd look for businesses that do mechanical assembly... aircraft mechanics (regional airports), aerospace, and electronics facilities will all probably have one, or know where you can go to get one cal'd. Might even check with your local dealer. We send our torque calibrators (and a lot of our other reference standards) out for cal to lockheed martin's metrology lab about 15min drive from the office, then cal all our torque drivers off those reference standards and maintain traceability through that.

Or just get a job in a cal lab, where you've got access to precision measurement instruments :thumbsup: