when in doubt, gas it out?

Hey. Just put a couple hours on my bike (04 450R) at the track, and have a question that id like to hear answers/opinions on.

Coming in to turns, I'm trying to get in the habit of weight forward/outside peg, etc. However, maybe it's just me, but every time I come in just a little faster, the bike seems to track better. Wondering as to the exact reason this is, so I can practice specifically on that tactic.

It seems to me that short of the bars banging off the steering stops (y'know, like a millisecond before you go over them), or leaning the bike further over, another area I struggle with, hitting the throttle smooths everything out. I REALLY REALLY need to get this bored into my skull, so I can make it my first reaction, instead of letting off even a bit, which is usually what i do, trenching, or losing lots of momentum through a turn being the result.

Anybody with similar experience that would be able to help me understand this, i'd really appreciate it

> Coming in to turns, I'm trying to get in the habit of weight forward/outside peg, etc. However, maybe it's just me, but every time I come in just a little faster, the bike seems to track better. Wondering as to the exact reason this is, so I can practice specifically on that tactic.

If you're talking about a turn where you have something to lean against, a small rut or a berm, it's because when you come in faster the bike squats more on both ends (lower center of gravity) and presses the tires against the ground more (better traction).

If you're talking about a flat turn you have been coming in too slow for the lean angle. Coming in faster will again result in more squat and better traction.

> It seems to me that short of the bars banging off the steering stops (y'know, like a millisecond before you go over them), or leaning the bike further over, another area I struggle with, hitting the throttle smooths everything out. I REALLY REALLY need to get this bored into my skull, so I can make it my first reaction, instead of letting off even a bit, which is usually what i do, trenching, or losing lots of momentum through a turn being the result.

Actually, it's a very good idea to gas it even when you are fighting a tank slapper. When you get on the gas the rear of the bike squats, the front rises and the wheelbase extends. Instant stability. If you get a little extra wheelspin it will add to the stability as well.

Practice makes perfect.

vlad7890, thanks very much! i'm one of those "have to understand how it works before i can work it" type thinkers. I appreciate the explanation, really!

07 crf230f, i agree. I can feel myself get faster, the more laps i put in per session; getting more comfortable. I know that the areas i struggle with are related, and when i push myself to twist it open more, it definitely tracks more solidly.

Wish i had a track in my backyard...i could seriously do nothing else and be completely satisfied:ride: