Help! 2006 cylinder gone due to oil starvation...

Hi folks,

Am Tugrul from Istanbul, Turkey. I am new to the forum and darkside. Unfortunately got caught on the wrong foot:

I recently bought a 2006 stock DRZ 400 SM without any mods and 14.000 km on the clock. I realized a knockling noise after a few hundred kms of ride and took it directly to a trusted shop. There was less than a litter oil left in the machine. So, we opened it up to check for the damage.

The cylinder head was allright and every thing was in service limits, the chain was in good condition too. However, the barrel had some areas burned, no scratches or anything. The piston arm was ok, but the piston itself is useless with burns and scratches on sides.:confused:

The mechanic offered to buy a bigger piston and machine and bore the barrel to a proper size, and also check and necessarily change valves and shims. Than again, we could not find a piston from Suzuki or any OEM supllier here in Turkey. I checked on e-bay and found some stuff in UK and everything else related to DRZ (parts and suplliers disscussed in the forum) are mostly in US. It is better for me to order anything from UK rather than US due to shipping costs and timing. On the other hand, I can stand the extra cost and time if it is a neccessity to order smt from US.

So, this is where I need your advice and experience:

1- Is it OK to just buy one of the barrell and piston sets and get the old cylinder machined to fit? Do I need to order and change anything else for this operation? Is it OK to this with the stock carb and exhaust?

2- Given the sitiuation, should I just go for a ready to fit big bore kits and which one is offered? And again is it worth it without the carb changed? Any gain on power or throttle response?

3- Let's imagine I have the budget :worthy:, is there a one stop shop to buy anything needed to upgrade to FCR39, bigbore, RHC valves, hotcams? I know the some parts are available on the TT shop and Eddie's. But not being and expert on mechanics and located on a remote destination, I would prefer someone trusted to arrange everything for me and ship me a single package.

Thanks for the ones that are patient enough to read through here. I would be thanksful to anyone to advise on the topic who is experienced with the subject, offer me a hand or suggest smt else.

Cheers,:thumbsup:

Eddie.

Ok so imagining like you said having a budget, a BB will fit just right, and adding a FCR and MRD are always possible later as quick installs. Unlike a BB taking at least 2-4hrs start to finish (if you know what you are doing).

New carb/exhaust will really help let the motor breath but there are people out there with big bores but also running stock carbs and exhausts.

Just don't expect the most out of your parts unless you support them. ie. cams/carb/exhaust,3x3 ect.

As far as a parts store, Eddie is you guy, epic motorsports/SSW is the one stop shop for everything you will need for your drz.

Just PM Eddie your ideas and Im positive shortly after you will receive answers!

Welcome neighbor !

If i was in you i would buy a CW 440 big bore kit , if you got the money also buy a FcrMX kit !

As for valves etc the RHC stuff is a good investment for motor's future life :thumbsup:

Eddie.

Did that :thumbsup:

Ok so imagining like you said having a budget, a BB will fit just right, and adding a FCR and MRD are always possible later as quick installs. Unlike a BB taking at least 2-4hrs start to finish (if you know what you are doing).

New carb/exhaust will really help let the motor breath but there are people out there with big bores but also running stock carbs and exhausts.

Just don't expect the most out of your parts unless you support them. ie. cams/carb/exhaust,3x3 ect.

As far as a parts store, Eddie is you guy, epic motorsports/SSW is the one stop shop for everything you will need for your drz.

Just PM Eddie your ideas and Im positive shortly after you will receive answers!

I think I'm gonna go with the carb and bigbore

Welcome neighbor !

If i was in you i would buy a CW 440 big bore kit , if you got the money also buy a FcrMX kit !

As for valves etc the RHC stuff is a good investment for motor's future life :thumbsup:

Thank you neighbor :confused:

It is nice to see someone from the area. Hope to get together soon!

I think I will order everything from Eddie's.