Yet another battery ?

Hey fella's,wondering if my 3 yr old battery is toast.Here's the senario-i keep it charged up all winter (and summer if not run weekly-)I hooked it up this spring and-no go.Cleaned all connections w/wire brushes,still nada.If i jump from a car directly to the bike's connections,BINGO.FIRES UP.(1999 650DR ,BTW.)Tried jumping thru same cables using the bike battery-NO GO.Tested bike battery w/voltmeter reads a healthy 12.68 vdc.I:banghead: would have thought a bad cell would have been revealed on the meter with a lower voltage.Kinda at a loss right now-any advises would be appriciated! :thumbsup:

You need to hit it with a load tester to see if the battery is any good. I've had batteries charge up and look good, but when you crank it you're done. My R1200R battery died without warning and it was a little under 3 years old. My DR650 battery is 8.5 years old and it's now starting to seem a little weak. The lifetime of a battery can vary widely.

vary widely,indeed.I have a vstar 650 year 2000 w/original battery still going strong.I could hook a meter to it while cranking to measure load (simple man test),but i can't even get a tail light out of it to test?Nothing there.Maybe batteries plus is worth a visit-thanks for your input pacaver!

I had trouble with my battery after drowning the bike and running it flat trying to restart. mine measured 12v idle, 9.5v when cranking. I figured I had to get a new battery as even after riding for 5 hours straight it wouldn't do any better

Hooked it up to a trickle charger for 2 days and huzzah it's like new again

1. Batteries die

2. You can't change 1

3. There is no 3

Terminal voltage at rest is not necessarily a good indicator of battery capacity. Measure the terminal voltage during cranking. If it drops well below 6 Volts, your battery is toast. This is dependent on the internal resistance of your battery. A good battery will have a very low internal resistance. A weak battery might have a higher internal resistance. High internal resistance means it will show decent rest voltage, but it cannot deliver sufficient current to crank the motor.

Battery tender is a good investment.

I see bike shops are now selling 'Bike Master' batteries aka 'Made in China'. Or people will by the Wal-China-Mart batteries as well - I think Ever-Start or aka 'Never-Start'. I do NOT shop at Wal-China-Mart...

It always is best to go back with the OEM or one of the new Gel batteries they are selling for the DR's.

Yep,use Battery Tenders religiously (actually have 2-one for bikes/another for cars not always driven weekly.)Did try the crank/load test if you can even call it that (bike made no effort to start-not even a "click".Voltmeter dropped as fast as the digital readout could go.Ended up ordering this :should show up this week to save the day!

BikeMaster Platinum Battery (12V9-:thumbsup:

$45.53

Battery tender is a good investment.

I see bike shops are now selling 'Bike Master' batteries aka 'Made in China'. Or people will by the Wal-China-Mart batteries as well - I think Ever-Start or aka 'Never-Start'. I do NOT shop at Wal-China-Mart...

It always is best to go back with the OEM or one of the new Gel batteries they are selling for the DR's.

Plus One!! :worthy:

I bought the stock Suzuki supplied OEM battery from Babbit's online for $50 or less. It's (I think) a Made In Japan Futaba battery. Maintenance free, sealed battery. Come with acid, you activate and charge.

Battery Tender will DOUBLE battery life or more. I've been using them 20 years.

Wow, an Arkansan boycotting wee wee Mart! :confused: As a life long UNION MEMBER, I never, ever shop at Wal-Mart ... they are banned in our county (Marin) Wal-Mart and the Waltons are bottom feeders and emblematic of why our economy is upside down. Corporate Greed at OUR expense.

End Of Rant! :thumbsup: