No space or money for a full trailer and my car only takes a Class I hitch, so...

That brings back memories.

When I was in college, I welded two bars directly onto the back of my Vega angled down at about 45 degrees with a piece of pipe welded between the two at the outer most end. I dragged my bike all over with that thing.

I would suggest taking the chain off when dragging.

+2 on taking the chain off. The chain will turn the countershaft sprocket and with out the motor running there may not be oil getting pmped up to the rotating parts in the transmission. I don't know enough about the oil circuit on the DRZ to say with certainty but I like to err on the side of caution.

I thought I was bad pulling a CBR600f3 on one side of the boat trailer and a SeaDoo GSX Limited on the other from Tampa to Deal's Gap, NC more than a few times...behind a 1.6 liter '93 Miata...and I was still the 'faster traffic' even in the mountains. Hmm.. ?

That's straight professional right there.

I have access to a welder and only had a Class I hitch as well, so I beefed the hitch up hardcore and whipped up a rack...

0410111833-00.jpg

The tongue weight limit of a Class I hitch is 200 lbs but a DRZ weighs 300 lbs.

Dunno what you did to beef it up but an additional 100lbs over the limit seems a bit scary.

Love the looks I got while pulling my bike. This was a class 1 I think. It was bolted to the frame.

DSCF2552-2.jpg

DSCF2550-1.jpg

Now I have a 90 Celica and the only hitch I can find for it is a class 1 that bolts to the bumper supports. This will be installed vary soon. Pulling my bike behind my Jeep sucks due to the 12mpg it gets.

Love the looks I got while pulling my bike. This was a class 1 I think. It was bolted to the frame.

DSCF2552-2.jpg

DSCF2550-1.jpg

Now I have a 90 Celica and the only hitch I can find for it is a class 1 that bolts to the bumper supports. This will be installed vary soon. Pulling my bike behind my Jeep sucks due to the 12mpg it gets.

what motor did you have in the honda?

The tongue weight limit of a Class I hitch is 200 lbs but a DRZ weighs 300 lbs.

Dunno what you did to beef it up but an additional 100lbs over the limit seems a bit scary.

It was a bit scary, until more than twice the weight of the original hitch assembly of steel was welded onto it for extra support. Two braces to the trunk floor of 1/4" steel, one extension to each bumper mount, and one cross-brace to the sill of the trunk lip. I would confidently put 500lbs on it. I modeled it in Pro Engineer and did some analysis work, and gusseted the weak spot I found. Was is worth the work I put into it? Well. That... that is another question. The answer to that question is no. ?

I found a Kendon single rail stand up trailer on Craigslist. 80 mph no sweat, mountain roads to Big Bear Lake Calif. nobody passing me.

Tow vehicle 08 Honda Civic SI 4door 1000 #Lb. towing capacity.

Sits in the garage in a space smaller then a ping pong table. Awesome

Other brands available.

All those rear bumper platforms are problematic the least of all being your headlights now are in all on coming traffics eyes. In the old days we had air shocks to bring the rear up.

You become easy mark for a cop even if you are going 55 mph which you are not, I mean who does. Swerve that car in a accident mode and the whole shooting match could go over. Most vehicles would fail any tip over test with such a weight problem. Case in point the Honda Element only seats 4 as a 3 body in the back seat in sitting position made it fail in roll over testing. Hard to imagine since all the bad press for the Ford Explorer/ Never mind the epic crash the started its slide had 7 persons in it 2 in the cargo area and a under-inflated Firestone tire.

Do not mean to rain on your parade it is insurance agent syndrome and one of my best pals is a R and D Honda Guy.

I found a Kendon single rail stand up trailer on Craigslist. 80 mph no sweat, mountain roads to Big Bear Lake Calif. nobody passing me.

Tow vehicle 08 Honda Civic SI 4door 1000 #Lb. towing capacity.

Sits in the garage in a space smaller then a ping pong table. Awesome

Other brands available.

All those rear bumper platforms are problematic the least of all being your headlights now are in all on coming traffics eyes. In the old days we had air shocks to bring the rear up.

You become easy mark for a cop even if you are going 55 mph which you are not, I mean who does. Swerve that car in a accident mode and the whole shooting match could go over. Most vehicles would fail any tip over test with such a weight problem. Case in point the Honda Element only seats 4 as a 3 body in the back seat in sitting position made it fail in roll over testing. Hard to imagine since all the bad press for the Ford Explorer/ Never mind the epic crash the started its slide had 7 persons in it 2 in the cargo area and a under-inflated Firestone tire.

Do not mean to rain on your parade it is insurance agent syndrome and one of my best pals is a R and D Honda Guy.

Kendon™ Stand-Up Single Rail Trailer

$2,147.99 - J&P Cycles

Kendon Stand-Up Single Rail Trailer

$2,199.95 - Rack N Road

Kendon Single Stand-up Motorcycle Trailer

$2,150.00 - eBay

Mustang: $5,000

DR-Z400: $2,900

Tow Hitch: $199