Stupid brake fluid question, DOT5, Silicone fluid

In general, the molecules in silicone DOT5 are bigger and have more space between them, so it's slightly more compressible than DOT3 and 4. Especially when it gets hot, the feel just isn't as firm.

The other problem is that it doesn't absorb water, so (although this is more likely on a car) if moisture does make its way into the system, instead of being completely removed by a full flush, you can still have pockets of water that stay trapped and sit there rusting the system from the inside out.

I go with Motul RBF600 for performance stuff on pavement. Not riding fast enough on dirt to need it yet. ATE Typ200 or Super Blue are better value, and will work just as well for most people.

Unfortunately, it's getting really hard to find decent brake fluid at an auto parts store anymore.

Well, it looks like I'm going back to DOT4. I've done a little more research and have read in a few places that DOT5 silicone fluid IS NOT recommended for Brembo brake systems due to incompatibility with natural rubber. So much for the bike being prepped for a 0500 departure tomorrow morning.