tranny oil suggestions.

any help would be apprieciated. i live in nevada where it is about 65-95 degrees and can either be really dusty or really wet. i am about 6500 elevation. what kind/weight of transmition oil do you recommend and how often do i change it on my 06 crf250x. i have just over 200 miles on it and am ready to change my motor oil. any help will be greatly appreciated.:thumbsup::confused:

I have an 06 250x and I use Maxima MTL 80 weight. I change it every time I change the motor oil, so around 10 hours. I have heard of transmission oil getting milky over time and have seen that in my bike first hand. I was changing transmission every other oil change so after seeing the oil get milky I change both at the same time. I also recommend getting an hour meter to simplify your maintenance schedule.

i change my tranny oil every other time i change the oil i use the honda racing tranny fluid and its always still kinda red when i change it,i have an 05X with a little over 2000 miles still have the original valves in spec,i change my oil every 15 hours

I use 10w-40 what my manual says but in Michigan it can be 45 one day and 85 the next. So I'm seeing a lot people change there oil when they pretty much have to check valves about 20 hours. Is it going to hurt it to change it in spring and fall?

i would change your engine side every 15 hours or so for the sake of your valve train but you could go a little longer on the tranny side,i use a paper filter and they filter better the longer their in so i only change that every 60 hrs,if you use a steel oil filter i would clean it every time you change your engine oil

I use Rotella 15w40 white jug dino oil in the trans. Change it every other oil change unless was particularly hard on the clutch for some reason.

If you wait long enough, you'll get a recommendation for virtually every oil made! :smirk: Main thing is don't use an oil that says it is energy conserving on the API label. Most car oils have that indication. It means it contains moly which can cause your clutch to slip.

Just get Rotella, save a ton of $, and be done with it. I use one of the Honda 80/85 bottles as a measurer and pour 750 ml in the right side crankcase hole (where you rotate the motor to line up the TDC marks for valve checking). :smirk:

Dave