Sign in to follow this  

correcting bike in the air

today went out riding and was hitting this jump that was completely rutted(out in the desert). the lip was messed up from people gassing it right when going off, and so many people jump it that the bike sometimes hits the sides sending you sideways, thats where the problem is. some one told me that to correct it you have to take your foot and push i think the number plate. tryed it and didnt seem to do much. the jump wasnt big either maybe 20 ft. any technique to help? Just pulling my leg up and pushing on the number plate didnt seem like it did a lot, or maybe i just got to push harder? :thumbsup:

well heres the thing I actually like the lip being all messed up cause then i can practice correcting the bike in the air. I can bring the front end up by revving and bringing it down by pulling the clutch and tapping the brake. I just need someone to tell me what they do when the rear of the bike kicks out to the left or right

assuming it isn't kicking you out crazy far, just point the bars straight in the direction you want to land and goose the throttle :thumbsup:

ya its not going crazy far. only a bit. But what if it does go crazy far? then what do you do

some one told me that to correct it you have to take your foot and push i think the number plate. tryed it and didnt seem to do much. the jump wasnt big either maybe 20 ft. any technique to help? Just pulling my leg up and pushing on the number plate didnt seem like it did a lot, or maybe i just got to push harder? :worthy:

You'll have to play around with it and find what works for you... I don't usually try to put my foot against the number plate, although I have done it that way. For me, it all depends on how much air your getting. If its a really flat kind of jump, so your not going high at all, I usually land back tire first, squeezing the bike pretty hard with my knees. I keep the front end high enough so it pulls back into line before it touches the ground.

On a real jump, its usually a lot easier to straighten it back out.. If the back of the bike is kicking off to my left, I move my body to the left side of the bike, and as far forward as I can at the same time. Midway through the air, I push back on the left peg (which moves the back of the bike to the right), but at the same time, I'm moving farther forward over the handlebars. Kind of in the same movement, I'm letting off of the throttle, pushing down on the bars, squeezing with my heels against the frame, and lifting with my heels... I want the front of the bike much lower than the back... Just before landing, I'm wide open throttle again.

Its a tough thing to describe though... If I thought about it more I could probably do a better job. I've watched a lot of swaps with newer riders, and I think their biggest problem, is freezing up... Or, trying to fix it as its happening. I don't really look at it as fixing the sideways kick.. I look at it more as lining up for the landing. Looking at it as lining up for the landing, kind of takes you out of the 'moment', and setting up for the near future :thumbsup:

That probably confused ya more than it helped :confused:

Just like turning on the ground, use the outside peg to control the bike, IE if the rear is drifting to the right, correct it with you right foot, you won't be able to control anyhting with the inside foot. You can also hook your outside foot under the number plate, on the number plate, or whatever feels comfortable. This just gives you more leverage. Panic revving really won't straighten the bike, but it will stop the bike from continuing to drift out. If the jumps is only 20 ft long, than you probably don't have enough time to correct anything major (and you probably won't be tossed to far off to one side), so you should probably just squeeze the bike more on the takeoff, keep the bars straight, and land on the gas.

I'll try not to get too technical, but you have to have your center of gravity leading the bike's center of gravity when you jump.

For example, ideally you should have your feet somewhere between the airbox, footpegs, or rear number plates, your knees should be bent which should be in front of your feet, and you should be bent at your hips. You should have your elbows up and your head over your handlebars.

If you are in the correct position/area then you can manipulate the bike however you want to when you are in the air. Through experience you learn when and where to use your legs, hips, feet, and hands to maneuver the bike.

For instance I personally usually have my feet in different positions on the bike and move them around and leverage the bike around under neath me. Your foot placement and such comes through just experimenting with it i.e. experience.

If you are not in the correct position, and the bike is just taking you along for the ride then you are pretty much helpless in the air and the bike will do whatever it please (excluding break-tapping and panic revving.) However you can get into the correct position and then correct the bike once you are in the air but that would generally take too much time for most jumps.

Another thing that you will eventually learn is what the bike is going to do if you hit a rut or kicker on a jump a certain way. If you know what the bike is going to do before hand, and you "go to correct it" as the bike goes to kick out or whatever then it will likely not happen or either very minimally. (Another place this is useful is for when you start swapping out and you can go to "bring it back" right as it goes to kick out therefore preventing the bike from building up any momentum in the swap making it easier to correct.)

Sorry if that sounds like a bunch of technical bs, but that's the best I can explain it.

Here are some pictures of me where you can see me moving my feet around on the bike.

24wf4w9.jpg