Sign in to follow this  

A few noob questions.

Running my first 2T and I have a few quick questions, some I think i know the answers to, others I'm not sure, I just wanna make sure cause I don't want to hurt my bike.

I read its bad to pressure wash a bike, which sucks cause i just did this a few days ago.. True or false? In moderation? Don't spray certain parts??

What mix ratio would you run in a 96 CR250? (i live in 83815 if it makes a difference).

if I'm making my gas and oil mix and I run out of a brand of oil, can I add a few oz of a different brand to make it the right mixture?

Do you run water or actual coolant in the radiator or a mix?

thanks in advance for your answers! :thumbsup:

1. Pressure washing is fine as long as you are not too close. Try not to spray directly into the areas where the bearings are.

2. Your manual will tell you which ratio to run. Usually is 32:1.

3. Shouldn't be a problem mixing brands as long as you don't do it every time

4. Run 50/50. Distilled Water/Antifreeze. You can buy a preluded one which will save you the mixing hassle. Some people will sugest engine ice.

1. Pressure washing is fine as long as you are not too close. Try not to spray directly into the areas where the bearings are.

2. Your manual will tell you which ratio to run. Usually is 32:1.

3. Shouldn't be a problem mixing brands as long as you don't do it every time

4. Run 50/50. Distilled Water/Antifreeze. You can buy a preluded one which will save you the mixing hassle. Some people will sugest engine ice.

Perfect. Ty

as far as the antifreeze is it just reg antifreeze or is there bike specific stuff i need to find?

Go to the local auto store and get some of the universal auto coolant... I run engine ice in my race bike but the other 3 which are just play bikes Ive been running the cheapo premixed universal coolant for years with no issues.

Go to the local auto store and get some of the universal auto coolant... I run engine ice in my race bike but the other 3 which are just play bikes Ive been running the cheapo premixed universal coolant for years with no issues.

awsome. Ty. :thumbsup:

OH almost forgot, Spark Arrestor?? what the hell is it and apparently I'm reading that some stated require it??? Im reading it makes it so sparks dont come out the exhaust. But can you really get in trouble if you dont put one on your bike??

You can buy versions of silencers that have spark arrestors already installed. Only places I know that require them are certian trails and Nat. forests. where there are potential fire hazards.

Go check out FMF's website, they have a pretty good selection of spark arrestors so you can get an idea of what your looking for.

Spark arrestors prevent combustible materials from going into areas that can start fires, like into dry brush. Some bikes can spit a little flame out of the tail of a non spark arrested exhaust. Sofar I don't think there have been any reports of forest fires started from motorcycles spitting a little flame out.

Some areas require them, and police it constantly. Other areas aren't so picky about them.