Sign in to follow this  

Axle tool help...

I want to take the front wheel off of my 1999 yz250. I cant seem to find the right tool for the axle. It seems to be an 18mm allen but I cant find one. 17mm is too small and 19mm is too big. That narrows it down. Motion Pro too doesnt have an 18mm that i found. Please help. thanks:banghead:

Dont worry about that side. Take the nut off of the other end, loosen the small bolts on the fork legs, then tap the thing out.

Please send the saved money on the hex to me....

Stress tap. Use something that fits the size of the axle, and preferably something soft. You can mushroom the end if you're too aggressive.

Stress tap. Use something that fits the size of the axle, and preferably something soft. You can mushroom the end if you're too aggressive.

YES..Plaastic hammer tap.

If you have to have somethign to rotate the hex end, find a bolt at Lowes that fits. Double nut it and you have the tool for a buck. I built one and its in the garage somewhere. I can probably find a pic if you want to see one.

When I was in high school I had a 93 RM 250; being a high school kid I never thought about greasing bearings and other intensives jobs like that. After I blew up my motor I decided I wanted to strip the bike and rebuild from scratch. The swingarm/motor mount bolt was seized in there. So I used a metal bar that fit the bolt and proceeded to pound away. All the happened was the hollow end of the bolt mushroomed, and to this day the bolt has not come out from that bike.

Hard lessons...

• Like 1

Can try to heat the housing with a torch and then press it out, hopefully that works. Going to have to do the same with mine, have a 99 yz250 too. Love the bike, but has been an enduring rebuild (especially with lacking funds).