Sign in to follow this  

What tranny oil to use?

Hi i just got my first dirt bike and don't know to much on maintenance. What tranny oil should i use when i change it and how much to use. it is a 2003 yz85.

yamalube trans oil plus or spectro clutch saver. DO NOT get cheap like half of the people on here and put in dollar general motor oil or automotive transmission fluid. You just spent a lot of money on your bike getting cheap on oil just doesn't make since.

also it should say on the side of the crankcase next to the kicker how much to put in. Should only use about a half a court.

Get a manual, it should have all of your service intervals. I generally change trans fluid every 8-10 hours of ride time. I also run ATF type f. Another thing to keep in mind is, manufacturers put their label on someone else's oil, so there is no magic oil brand that works best for your bike. Do what fits your budget, and change the trans oil often.

^^^ There is so much wrong with statement i dont know where to start. Yamalube is produced by yamaha and only available from yamaha. Its the only oil that is designed for your machine. Go ahead and run your dollar general type f if you want, I for one want my bike to last more then 2 rides.

^^^ There is so much wrong with statement i dont know where to start. Yamalube is produced by yamaha and only available from yamaha. Its the only oil that is designed for your machine. Go ahead and run your dollar general type f if you want, I for one want my bike to last more then 2 rides.

+1. Yamalube oils for that bike, wet clutch safe.

Really, you can use any manufacturers wet clutch oil, I currently have Honda oil in my Kawasaki, and Valvoline in my Honda :thumbsup:

Also, routine oil changes are the best for it. I tend to not change my oil until it's dark in color. According to oil guys, even if it's black, that doesn't mean it won't properly lubricate your engine.

You should do a touch more research before you try giving people advice. Yamaha US uses relabeled Citgo Oil. None of these manufacturers are producing their own oil, that's just ridiculous. Seeing as how a motorcycle transmission is a wet clutch type system with clutch plates and gears, just like an automatic transmission, then there is no reason to not run ATF type f. A lot of guys here have run it since the 70's and their bikes have lasted a lot more than 2 rides. I have ridden for over 20 years, and always used ATF in my 2t transmission. Never had one failure, slip, or anything that could be considered abnormal with my clutch performance. Feel free to use the internet for more useful things than giving bad advice. Do a little research! :thumbsup:

No one says run dollar general oil, or run the worst oil possible..

But "price" of oil doesn't indicate quality. And Just because Yamaha sells it and puts their name on it, doesn't mean it's the best oil available for a yamaha.

There are many quality oil's out there that are priced fairly. :thumbsup:

The car and motorcycle manufactures do not make oil, they buy it from a bottler. Oil is like soda pop, just contract with a bottler for the flavor you want.

Automatic transmissions have gears and wet clutches. ATF fluid, in its various flavors, is a very good oil for gears and wet clutches. There are also industrial gear oils for wet clutches you can buy at your local John Deere or CAT dealer. Allison transmission also has a synthetic ATF (TranSynd) that provides 10 times the interval between changes compared to dino ATF. For convenience and price it is hard to beat ATF from the local Walmart.

Dextron ATF has additives to provide smoother clutch engagement than the type F ATF, probably only important to heavy clutch users like Trials riders.

Fairly certain you are wrong. Yamalube is not made by "Yamaha" It is actually made by CITGO or Torco I believe, and Yamalube is nothing special. Believe it or not, but Rotella T diesel oil is better then that crap or the Honda oils. Much cheaper cost as well.

I use Rotella T 15w40 in my bikes, all my bikes. Awesome clutch feel and my bikes actually run a tad cooler with it. Lots of guys use this oil on here, I highly recommend it.:thumbsup:

ETA: And that is for a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. Works great for both!

Fairly certain you are wrong. Yamalube is not made by "Yamaha" It is actually made by CITGO or Torco I believe, and Yamalube is nothing special. Believe it or not, but Rotella T diesel oil is better then that crap or the Honda oils. Much cheaper cost as well.

I use Rotella T 15w40 in my bikes, all my bikes. Awesome clutch feel and my bikes actually run a tad cooler with it. Lots of guys use this oil on here, I highly recommend it.:thumbsup:

ETA: And that is for a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke. Works great for both!

+1

Made the switch to Shell Rotella-T 15w40 a few months ago and could not be happier. My 250f has a much better clutch feel than it did with Lucas Oil "High Performance" 4-stroke motorcyle oil.

Not only is it better, it's also half the price!

Can't beat it!

Any motorcycle oil is fine...synthetic if want to run slightly longer intervals but semi-syn is also perfect. Yeah, Yamalube is not bad but I think it is made by Citgo. At least is was. Yamaha does not know the first thing about refining oil. Just search around and see what guys are using. I hear really good things about Motul, Motorex, Repsol, and Amsoil. Those are my choices before any Yamaha, Honda, or Kawasaki badged oils.