Sign in to follow this  

Picked up an 11 today

Made out pretty well, picked up my 11 today for 5685 OTD. Was hoping to break it in today before open practice tomorrow at a friends track but the dealer ended up taking a while even though I called ahead of time. Since I havent rode it yet, all I can say is this: The bike is certainly sahweeeeeeet, and second, The damn grips are like cemented on there (first new bike i've bought). I think if I ever buy a new kawi again i'm going to request the dealer to deliver it with no grips! Anybody have any tips for getting these suckers off? they just want to shred, if I give them a ncie splice down the middle you can not peel them back at all.

Congrats on the new 2011! :thumbsup:

As far as the grips go.... I just kept trying to tear off big chunks, one at a time.

If you find a technique that works, let me know because I don't think there is a single person on this forum that has a good way of getting those vulcanized grips off.

The throttle grip comes vulcanized to the throttle tube, so it's made not to come off. You should be able to get it off with a razor blade or a wire wheel.

After countless blades and laquer thinner on the clutch side I got that one squared away, I ended up just giving the tube to my riding buddy and he's going to blast it off with a wire wheel tonight and toss the new grip on it and bring it to the track tomorrow. Wish I was at home where I had some stuff to get things done like this, living at grandparents for school semester. Garage is packed with bikes, im out of room. 2005 kx 125, 2011 kx 250f, and a 2008 zx6rr.

Congrats.... I know you are stoked with your new bike, but don't forget the prep.... before it is too late. Primal has a good link to prep. Maybe I will see you around. Have fun.

I'm fully aware of how poor new bikes are set up. Have seen both my friends 09 and 11 yz450's and they are poor to say the least with grease. I picked it up at Ronnies in bennington VT. About 35 minutes from Albany. If you're closer to PA chaplin kawi has them for 5720 OTD. I put 2 hours on it today, and its now apart getting greased and everything in my garage. Power delivery is awsome, throttle response is instant just like my 05 kx125. I need to get the suspension dialed, its really harsh on the high speed breaking bumps and acceleration bumps. Whats every body running for the pre load click wise? I'm about 160 pounds w/o gear.

The bike is certainly sahweeeeeeet, and second, The damn grips are like cemented on there (first new bike i've bought). I think if I ever buy a new kawi again i'm going to request the dealer to deliver it with no grips! Anybody have any tips for getting these suckers off? they just want to shred, if I give them a ncie splice down the middle you can not peel them back at all.

We installed hand guards....had to dremel out the glue out of the end of the handle bars...beotch...i kept stock grips...now i know what to look forward to if i swap out.

Anybody have any insight on the pre load fork? Say, adding preload will cause the bike to x, and removing some will cause the bike to do y?