ttr225?

recently bought 03 ttr225 and while doing routine maintenance decided to install UNI air filter, when I opened the airbox there was no filter in it and there was about a pint of old oil in it, is this normal? I think judging from what I am finding the previous owners maintenance standards and mine are far different.

recently bought 03 ttr225 and while doing routine maintenance decided to install UNI air filter, when I opened the airbox there was no filter in it and there was about a pint of old oil in it, is this normal? I think judging from what I am finding the previous owners maintenance standards and mine are far different.

You said the bike never had a filter in it when you inspected... I would be much more worried about no filter being on the bike then the oil in the air box.

As for the oil in the air box, it is likely excess air filter oil from the previous owner over oiling the filter or not squeezing out the excess oil or letting it set up long enough before reinstalling.

sorry, I didn't mean to be a smart ass. I asked a legitimate question I thought. If I had found a bike I had bought was in that condition...I would hope that I hadn't spent a lot of money on it, because this could turn out bad. I'm assuming the bike starts and runs fine?

It is never normal to have no air filter, and it is never normal to have a pint of oil in your air box. I'm assuming you need to do more than just routine maintenance...however, those bikes are bulletproof. You may get away with just changing the oil and air filter. If I were you, I'd check valve clearances, wheel, linkage, headset and swingarm bearings before I rode it.

Again, sorry, didn't mean to come across as a smartass. Welcome to TT. Lets hope that air filter doesn't getcha.

You said the bike never had a filter in it when you inspected... I would be much more worried about no filter being on the bike then the oil in the air box.

As for the oil in the air box, it is likely excess air filter oil from the previous owner over oiling the filter or not squeezing out the excess oil or letting it set up long enough before reinstalling.

Crank case breather is routed to the airbox, that's where the oil came from.