Sign in to follow this  

New JE piston and no spiral lock

I was on the fence between Wiseco and JE for mt new piston and ended up getting the JE 600R piston for my 650L. The one turn off for me was the JE spiro-lock for the wrist pin. I was surprised when I got the JE piston today in the mail and no spiro-lock but a regular / normal retaining pin.

Glad to see it but when / why the switch?

Damn nice forged piston BTW. I will be honing my cylinder and fitting it tomorrow. Wooo Hoo!!!!

I've got JE's in two motors and they both came with standard clips. Maybe the don't use the spiro-locks with XR pistons?

Why a 600R piston?

The stroke is different between both engines...

The idea by using the over sized (100mm) 600R piston is to end up with slightly higher compression in the 650L. Higher than stock compression and less than the 10.5:1 that the high compression piston puts out. At least that is what I got out of a lot or reading different threads and forums.

Hopefully later today I will have it fitted and ready to put together.

Given the choice between buying a set of Honda rings for my stock piston ($60) or getting the JE set complete (piston , rings,clips and pin) for $140 I went the JE route. I am glad its got "normal" retaining clips. I have never used the spiral locks but old habits (mine) are hard to break.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

I was on the fence between Wiseco and JE for mt new piston and ended up getting the JE 600R piston for my 650L. The one turn off for me was the JE spiro-lock for the wrist pin. I was surprised when I got the JE piston today in the mail and no spiro-lock but a regular / normal retaining pin.

Glad to see it but when / why the switch?

Damn nice forged piston BTW. I will be honing my cylinder and fitting it tomorrow. Wooo Hoo!!!!

My JE XR600R piston came with the circular wire lock..........i like the wire ones.......harder to install though..

B

I believe Spirolocks are an option, not a standard feature. I don't think these engines typically see enough piston acceleration to break regular wire clips anyway, at least not when they're installed correctly.

The 10.5:1 pistons actually make 9.8:1 when installed in the intended engine, BTW. Putting a 10.5:1 XR600 piston in a 650L fills the middle ground at around 9:1, up from the stock 8.6:1.

Edited by HeadTrauma

Wire clips are cheaper and easier to manufacture. Really no strength advantage between the two. The write clips are actually very easy to put in once you do a dozen or so to end and get a good technique

Wire clips are cheaper and easier to manufacture. Really no strength advantage between the two. The write clips are actually very easy to put in once you do a dozen or so to end and get a good technique

I put one end in the groove and hold it with my thumb. I have a small set of needle nose pliers that I push the clip into the groove and follow it around.

The only "hard" part is if you manage to drop one into the crankcase.....

(been there, done that)

The JE pin retainers are a good deal stiffer than stock honda clips. Spirallocks are much easier to install than the JE wires. Just tore down an XR350 that was revved so high that it unseated the stock Honda clips. They fell out on the floor when I pulled the barrel off.

Anybody remember the old nylon locks that just slide in the side of the piston and butted up against the pin?

They were great, they where held in place by the cylinder wall. We used to run them on our flattrackers...

I wouldn't run an XR600 plunger in a 650L, not enough umph for me.

The name I'm familiar with is "buttons." Top Fuel engines use them, although they are aluminum and not plastic. Some pistons with the pin bore intersecting the oil ring land also use them to add support to the oil ring. A lot of model/hobby engines use Teflon buttons because the pin bore is too small for clips to be practical.

0a097089.jpg

I wouldn't run an XR600 plunger in a 650L, not enough umph for me.

You mean 650cc isn't enough umph for you right?

You mean 650cc isn't enough umph for you right?

650cc's with a 11.1 plunger has lots of umph...:thumbsup:

I do like the 720 motor with 9.8.1 though, no spark knock on 93 and it just keeps pulling and pulling,and pulling..

On the 742 I went with to much comp '12.1" so it's a play bike that needs 110 race fuel, but it hauls booty...

CW is building me a 760 motor now, 86mm stroke,his new clover leaf piston with 106mm bore, 60cc's of chamber volume including valve pockets, .100 of total deck ht.

Should be 10.2.1 comp........perfect for pump fuel with a gram or two of lead additive mixed in.

One nice thing about the lead additive is you can carry it in your fender bag.

The name I'm familiar with is "buttons." Top Fuel engines use them, although they are aluminum and not plastic. Some pistons with the pin bore intersecting the oil ring land also use them to add support to the oil ring. A lot of model/hobby engines use Teflon buttons because the pin bore is too small for clips to be practical.

0a097089.jpg

Can you still buy the teflon buttons?

650cc's with a 11.1 plunger has lots of umph...:thumbsup:

I do like the 720 motor with 9.8.1 though, no spark knock on 93 and it just keeps pulling and pulling,and pulling..

On the 742 I went with to much comp '12.1" so it's a play bike that needs 110 race fuel, but it hauls booty...

CW is building me a 760 motor now, 86mm stroke,his new clover leaf piston with 106mm bore, 60cc's of chamber volume including valve pockets, .100 of total deck ht.

Should be 10.2.1 comp........perfect for pump fuel with a gram or two of lead additive mixed in.

One nice thing about the lead additive is you can carry it in your fender bag.

Size DOES matter! Go big or go home.