Tires

Gotta replace the rear tire on my ttr 225, it doesn't have much life left on it. I was given a spare trials tire for it but I've heard mixed results for trail riding. So I'm looking to get some decent tires to hit the trails in the woods. The trails can be pretty rough, slabs and beds of rock run under shallow dirt on the trails. Lots of shale too. So lots of loose dirt and rocks to be expected when riding. It rains a lot here too so that makes it worse. I should also note these trails go from pretty mellow rides to steep climbs and valleys. Oh and streams too :thumbsup:

Size: 100/100 18

Suggestions?

I was thinking: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&navType=type&webTypeId=139&prodFamilyId=24378&listingId=&sizeAttr=1021

51's are a great tire love emm

I was given a spare trials tire for it but I've heard mixed results for trail riding.

Mixed results? Where? It's one of those things where the people bashing it haven't tried! If it's a decent trials tire, mount it up. What have you got to lose?!

The trails can be pretty rough, slabs and beds of rock run under shallow dirt on the trails. Lots of shale too. So lots of loose dirt and rocks to be expected when riding. It rains a lot here too so that makes it worse. I should also note these trails go from pretty mellow rides to steep climbs and valleys.

Yeah, I don't know who your getting your trials tire info from.. But, you've just described a lot of the conditions that a trials tire works best in.

Mount it up and give it a try. The worst that will happen is a loop out wheelie from the massive traction it's going to give you on those greasy, wet, mud filmed shale rocks.

if it's REAL trials tire ( not those old things they put on new enduro bikes in the 70's) you will love it on the shale and rocks. EXACTLY what they do best.

joe

Huh interesting. I'll have to give it a try then. Still interested in getting an all-around tire though.

Still interested in getting an all-around tire though.

Bridgestone 404 would be my first recomendation. Have heard (but have not used yet) good things about the Dunlop MX51.

Have tried Maxxis ITs and SIs, wouldn't recommend them at all. ITs wear like iron, and have about as much grip. SIs aren't much better.

Hmm thanks, maybe I'll get a rear MX51. Front tire is still in good shape but will need changed soon, some of the side knobs are chipped, but from reading reviews the 51 makes a bad front tire. I'll just figure it out by trying different tires I guess.

I will have to hit that trail with the trials tire I got though, I'm curious.

Which trials tire do you have?

I'm not even sure, I didn't buy it. It came with the bike and I haven't looked at it for a brand/model number.

must be a real trials tire brand : dunlop,michelin,IRC, pirelli ......if its a no name cheapie, it isnt really a trials tire so skip it then as it will actually be horribly bad.

joe

My MX51 just came in and it's sitting here in my room, can't wait to get this on my bike.

I'll also look at that trials tire.

Update: The trials tire is an IRC trials tire.

As for the MX51 I bought, It got mounted today and boy do I love it. I haven't gotten to do any serious riding with it due to the fact I had too much stuff to do and was running around all day. But when I unloaded the bike I took it for a quick ride and I was impressed with how well the tire held.

As a side note I did my first wheelie lol :smirk: And did it superbly I might add. Got into it when taking off in first gear and I held a nice wheelie, I let it drop and cracked into second gear and took off.