Sign in to follow this  

Fuel strainer on IMS tank fouling head cover

I have an IMS 3.2 gallon tank on my 08 CRF450X and the strainer assembly that goes into the tank at the bottom is fouling the head cover. This has resulted in the head cover nearly being worn right through. The tank itself also touches the head cover slightly causing additional errosion. By inserting some pipe insulation between the tank and the frame I have raised the tank a little but as the foam compresses the fouling starts again.

My thought was that this could be eliminated by installing the screen assembly from the R version of the bike. This is shorter as it has no reserve. Does anyone know if they are interchangable between the X and the R. The tanks are different but maybe the fitment is the same.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter as it looks like I am already down the cost of a new headcover.

If I remember right, IMS changed the casting number of the tanks to fix that. Something like going from a stamp of CR-21 to a CR-24. Which does yours say?

I had to put a couple of strips of rubber underneath the contact points to space the tank up a couple of mil.

Thanks for the info. I'll check. Where is the casting number? Did you take up the issue with IMS to try and get a replacement?

I have the cr 24 and my tank sits 1/4 of a inch above the head cover. The fuel assembly joint (elbow that attaches to the bottom of the tank) sits in the center of the head cover and clears too. There is no reason why you couldnt use a r, just remember you need to replace the petcock too. The number is on top of your tank, under the seat

I've got the same issues and I'm not 1 bit impressed. I called IMS up and they tried to tell me it must be my fault ?

Not to mention their standard fuel cap leaked fuel all over my tank causing permanent staining....

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Reminds me... I have to get in contact again with my supplier...

I have the same problem I think I'll try the whole rubber strips, by the way my valve cover looks a lot worse.

Yeah... I had EFI fuel hose slit in half (length ways), lining the top of my frame, and it still did this damage.

My supplier has taken the tank back under warranty, and I'm now getting a 15.5 liter Acerbis tank. :smirk:

I'm going to try to run the 2005 crf450 tank rubbers I think they're taller, I don't know we'll see I'll let you guys know

Try heating the tank up with a heat gun or something and deform it upward to gain a little clearance to the valve/cam cover. Short of putting the stock tank back on it I don't know of any other way to fix it.

I know the CR500 guys have to clearance fuel tanks when they swap their motors into aluminum frames, they end up doing something similar.

I checked mine and I have a CR24 casting and have the same (but worse) damage as richottr. For what its worth I will write to IMS again. At the moment I have raised the tank by inserting some rubber strips on the frame. Will ride a bit and see if there is any more damage.

Wow, seems like normal 'custom' upgrade issues to me.

Rubber Hose spacers under the tank, washers on the top mount, and I've never had a problem. 6 years with the same tank.

I test fitted it using clay, to check for contact points.

Just like you do with 'unknown' tire sizes, seat upgrades, etc.

The Acerbis and Clarke tanks have issues of their own, so.......

Oh, and yes, the first issue IMS caps were crap, but they send you a newer one for free if you ask for one.

I just made my own cap gasket for the first 3 years.....

I’m sorry but that is a load of crap.:smirk:

We are not talking about some small custom part from a mom and pop store or even some little upgrade for performance that requires personal tweaking base upon personal likes or dislikes.:smirk:

It’s a gas tank and some where along the line of prediction or quality assurance (fitment and alignment) the ball seems to have been dropped.

The tank is a pretty big part to have fit wrong and cause damage to other parts on your motorcycle.

I’m sorry but that is a load of crap.:smirk:

We are not talking about some small custom part from a mom and pop store or even some little upgrade for performance that requires personal tweaking base upon personal likes or dislikes.:smirk:

It’s a gas tank and some where along the line of prediction or quality assurance (fitment and alignment) the ball seems to have been dropped.

The tank is a pretty big part to have fit wrong and cause damage to other parts on your motorcycle.

I agree with Krannie, for alot of parts, if they are not OEM, you do have to do a small amount of tweaking. Just for example on the rear number plate (airbox door side) I had to install (2) washers between the subframe and the number plate to make everything line up perfect. Im not going to complain about it though. I guess fortunately for me my IMS 3.2 tank is perfect as is, but a small amount of tweaking like Krannie said is not a big deal and you shouldnt get your panties in a bunch over it. If you dont like their products go with a different manufacture. (Which I dont suggest) Im a firm believer and satisified customer of IMS.

Just my 2 cents.

Don’t get me wrong Baja I currently have several bikes sporting IMS tanks in varying sizes. I have been vary pleased with there products, Having stated that my panties are fine (thanks for the concern).

My point was it is a major part that has to fit pretty much out of the box and if you look at the damage caused by rubbing (WOW) that is more that a minor fitment issue.

If there is a simple fix I would expect the manufacture to point out the possibility of this issue and propose a fix. After all it is there product made for our bikes specifically not a one size fits all product.

While all the arguments are valid, we are still talking about IMS, a company that is notorious for not really giving a crap.

Having said that, I still like their product better than the Acerbis or Clarke, and that is why I use it. Not because they have attended to every last detail of fitment.

You do know that every tank they sell is sold 'as is' with no warranty, right?

There are lots of aftermarket parts that fit without issue, that are truly underwhelming.

I'm not buying the part so the experience of installation is trouble free, I'm buying it for the pure performance the part is supposed provide me.

Granted, if it's a piece of crap, or will not fit or work, then it is pointless.

What have I installed, that had no fitment issues, but was not good quality?

-SDG Seats (got a refund cause it fell aprart)

-FMF pipe (sold cause I didn't like the power band)

-Acerbis plastics (fit great, look cheap, color is off: sold on ebay)

-Rekluse E-axle (distributor would not give me a return, even though it would

not fit the X, only the R, without modifications. Sold it on ebay)

-Revloc Dynaring Clutch (cheap, ineffective, and no support. Would not give

a refund, only a credit, so I put it on another bike)

What parts did I buy the had fitment issues, that I love and still use today?

- IMS 3.2 Tank (I've had 4 over the years on different bikes, and they all fit

like crap)

- R&D fuel screw (spring hose gets bound up and needs to be modified)

- Airtime HID lighting (Ballast gets loose and bracket cracks. Had to modify)

- Stock Honda rear chain guide (breaks off and has to be re-welded and modified with specific brand of guide to not break again)

- Keihin Needle jet (wears out in 100 hours causing intermittent jetting issues

difficult to track down. No fix-it)

- Keihin Vacuum slide plate seal: wears out / goes bad if exposed directly to

gas (tip over, flooding. No fix it, just replace regularly)

I could site 100+ more examples from over the years, but I fear it will fall on 'entitled' ears.......

--------------------------

In my opinion, expecting every manufacturer to make perfect part, that affords the user/installer no stress, at a competitive price is ridiculous.

If you get a great part at a great price, then lucky you. That company figured it out.

The market forces should drive the success of any product.

If you don't like it, return it, fix it, sell it, or stop complaining.

If you installed it without proper investigation of it's fitment quality, then you assumed it was perfect. And if it isn't?

Then it is your mistake too !!

" Don't Complain, Don't Explain. Adapt, Overcome, and Thrive"

CAVEAT EMPTOR (look it up).

I think the issue is from the 2005 have rubber spacers on the frame and the 2008s and 2009s not having them. Others might not have them either but I know for sure from having these years they don't have the rubber spacers perviously implemented in 2005. If the tank is the same model number for a 2005 as for a 2008 then getting the 2005 spacers should fix it. I'm currently waiting for the spacers to come in so I'll let you know if works for me, by the way even my shrouds look like they're not quite right so we'll see if this helps that too.

Krannie,

That was a well thought-out and logical response.

There are products that are imperfect, and still worth the aggravation. In the perfect world that we don't live in, everything would fit and work right out of the box. I would also be taller and better looking.

Only through years of frustration and testing do we figure out what products can be massaged into a functioning solution, and what to abandon. These forums are great for that.

When I got an IMS tank for an X years ago, I spotted the clearance issue, and had probably read about it here, and quickly fixed it. It was a minor irritant that it didn't fit perfectly, but the problem was solved in 5 minutes and I never looked back.

Edited by Leardriver

" Don't Complain, Don't Explain. Adapt, Overcome, and Thrive" (you must have more dollars the sense)

CAVEAT EMPTOR (look it up). QT

So we have come to Latin Lessons…

Funny you would choose this one (let the buyer beware) dealing mostly with land issues,, but since you are referring to a 1817 decision turned into law then.

So I would remind you of a more recent decision in 1916 as a counter (as it applies to the presumption of quality expected and paid for)

Caveat venditor is Latin for "let the seller beware". It is a counter to caveat emptor and suggests that sellers can also be deceived in a market transaction. This forces the seller to take responsibility for the product and discourages sellers from selling products of unreasonable quality.

In the landmark case of MacPherson v. Buick Motor Co. (1916), New York Court Appeals Judge Benjamin N. Cardozo established that privity of duty is no longer required in regard to a lawsuit for product liability against the seller. This case is widely regarded as the origin of caveat venditor as it pertains to modern tort law in US

" Don't Complain, Don't Explain. Adapt, Overcome, and Thrive" (you must have more dollars the sense)

CAVEAT EMPTOR (look it up). QT

So we have come to Latin Lessons…

Funny you would choose this one (let the buyer beware) dealing mostly with land issues,, but since you are referring to a 1817 decision turned into law then.

So I would remind you of a more recent decision in 1916 as a counter (as it applies to the presumption of quality expected and paid for)

Caveat venditor is Latin for "let the seller beware". It is a counter to caveat emptor and suggests that sellers can also be deceived in a market transaction. This forces the seller to take responsibility for the product and discourages sellers from selling products of unreasonable quality.

In the landmark case of MacPherson v. Buick Motor Co. (1916), New York Court Appeals Judge Benjamin N. Cardozo established that privity of duty is no longer required in regard to a lawsuit for product liability against the seller. This case is widely regarded as the origin of caveat venditor as it pertains to modern tort law in US

Someone did some research, but i still agree with Krannie!