Darn rain

SouthCarolina

Well, there goes the weekend... seems like it rains whenever I can go riding.

:thumbsup::banghead::confused::banghead:

I ride so little now, I might be as slow as Grayfoxhole.

Well, there goes the weekend... seems like it rains whenever I can go riding.

:thumbsup::banghead::confused::banghead:

I ride so little now, I might be as slow as Grayfoxhole.

Hey SR,

Where did it rain? Was looking at the radar and looks like it missed the normal riding areas.... None here. Was going to Cedar Ridge for a little checkout ride tomorrow. Been having major grief with my back (that's normal for me) but have had surgery on my ear a couple of times recently and got one more to go!!!:smirk::eek: Gonna put on my helmet on and not take it off till I am done.......I hope! Ouch!

Oh, you are as slow as me! Just "ax" anybody....:worthy::moon::busted:

You mean you can't/won't/don't ride in the rain?

You mean you can't/won't/don't ride in the rain?

We-l-l-l .....no I don't! Even if I did, the Feds close these areas in SC if someone dribbles sweat on the trail and they see the drops! You know - saving the resources, forest floor, blah, blah.:confused::thumbsup:

We-l-l-l .....no I don't! Even if I did, the Feds close these areas in SC if someone dribbles sweat on the trail and they see the drops! You know - saving the resources, forest floor, blah, blah.:worthy::confused:

Ahhhh, the gubment saving the earth from imploding.

Come on up to VA and ride. :thumbsup:

I do miss riding in SC sometimes, usually right after I fall on a nasty offcamber downhill.

Downhill? what is that?

At the time of my original post, I thought the rain was going to be worst than it was... so I took the lawnmower apart. Fixed it.

I might go to Enoree if it is open tomorrow. If not, I will take a street bike up to NC and entertain Graykitty's in-laws. They live on one of the roads I like to ride. :thumbsup:

I know it's a long haul for you guys but, Brown Mountain OHV outside Morganton is super excellent when it's wet.

The soil type makes the difference...there are very few places on the mountain where it's slimy mud...it's mostly a sand/loam mix that drains well.

There are lots of water puddles on a few of the trails...but the water is usually pretty clear and there is a solid bottom that makes riding through them a refreshing wet experience without the mud.

I rode there yesterday with many NCHSA racers since the Harescramble was canceled at Devils Ridge (a notoriously nasty place when it's wet).

It only costs $5 for a day pass and there is no parking fee in the fully paved parking area.

Next time it's wet and you gotta scratch that ride itch...consider the Brown!

-Jay

Thanks! I forget about Brown since it is so far away. I have been there a few times but it was long ago! I liked it except for one rocky extreme straight up trail. That one was too much for this flat lander!

I know it's a long haul for you guys but, Brown Mountain OHV outside Morganton is super excellent when it's wet.

The soil type makes the difference...there are very few places on the mountain where it's slimy mud...it's mostly a sand/loam mix that drains well.

There are lots of water puddles on a few of the trails...but the water is usually pretty clear and there is a solid bottom that makes riding through them a refreshing wet experience without the mud.

I rode there yesterday with many NCHSA racers since the Harescramble was canceled at Devils Ridge (a notoriously nasty place when it's wet).

It only costs $5 for a day pass and there is no parking fee in the fully paved parking area.

Next time it's wet and you gotta scratch that ride itch...consider the Brown!

-Jay

Cedar Ridge yesterday in a word - DUSTBOWL! And the 13 or 17? year cicadas have hatched out and you couldn't hear yourself think when your bike was off. Sounded like we were inside a massive turbine with a bad bearing! Red eyed critters were everywhere!:smirk:

Thanks! I forget about Brown since it is so far away. I have been there a few times but it was long ago! I liked it except for one rocky extreme straight up trail. That one was too much for this flat lander!

They have done alot of work recently and the trail system is in the best shape I've ever seen it.

There are a couple a sections that are a challenge but they are not nearly as brutal as they used to be. Even a flatlander can navigate them without too much trauma!:smirk:

Cedar Ridge yesterday in a word - DUSTBOWL! And the 13 or 17? year cicadas have hatched out and you couldn't hear yourself think when your bike was off. Sounded like we were inside a massive turbine with a bad bearing! Red eyed critters were everywhere!:prof:

Cicada's...man, I spent the better part of my childhood in Wichita Kansas and I grew up listening to those suckers every year. It's wierd...but I love that sound. I sleep like a baby when they're singing in the early evening.:smirk:

My parents were from Kansas City and Leavenworth. I spend some time in (I will never get this right) "Tong-a-knock-cey" ...about 18 months around 5th grade. Lots of corn fields. This was 45 or so years ago. lived in a farm house with no plumbing....

Grayspot, should have gone to Enoree ...conditions were about perfect, no dust! There was a tree down on one trail but there was a way around it.

Think I might do some street riding this weekend but a trip to Brown sounds like a good idea for a upcoming weekend. Haven't been to Brushy in quite awhile either.

Yeah Megaleghumper,

Hate to admit when you are right, but you done good. Looks like all those areas got some rain yesterday and today. I will go somewhere this weekend, prolly Enoree. Gonna, have the third surgery- and damn well better be last, on my ear on Tuesday and won't be able to get a helmet on my big head for 3 weeks or so.:smirk::banghead: Price of fuel is easing a bit so maybe we can get to NC mountains for some "man" riding soon. I went to Brushy back in late Feb.

Yeah Megaleghumper,

Hate to admit when you are right, but you done good. Looks like all those areas got some rain yesterday and today. I will go somewhere this weekend, prolly Enoree. Gonna, have the third surgery- and damn well better be last, on my ear on Tuesday and won't be able to get a helmet on my big head for 3 weeks or so.:smirk::banghead: Price of fuel is easing a bit so maybe we can get to NC mountains for some "man" riding soon. I went to Brushy back in late Feb.

I wanna go:worthy:

I will try to remember to post on here when I go....but when it comes to those mega hills in NC, I am a wimp.:smirk: I hate falling off a mountain....especially onto rocks!

I like those nice little hills at the Parsons trail ...

Hey GrayEar, did you break your ear off? Last time you were getting the other end worked on, a much bigger task for the doctor. :smirk:

Skin cancer and they did not get it all last time. They took a pie shaped piece out of my ear and pull it back together and stitch er back up and repeat.................:smirk: Found out that once the stitches were removed my old SHOEI works great once I get it on my head. So I put it on and don't take it off till I am thru riding!:smirk:

Skin cancer and they did not get it all last time. They took a pie shaped piece out of my ear and pull it back together and stitch er back up and repeat.................:smirk: Found out that once the stitches were removed my old SHOEI works great once I get it on my head. So I put it on and don't take it off till I am thru riding!:smirk:

Well, hope that is the last time you have to get it worked on.

Good luck!

Brushy or Enoree?

Brown's vertical aspect isn't THAT bad, I just moved to NC from Florida & haven't had too many problems w/it in my two trips..

What Jay posted is correct, it's good when there's been a lot of rain, the puddles are mostly water, not muddy like Brushy. Brushy will be nasty this weekend. It was the last two times I went.

Going Saturday morning, I "sorta" know the trails if anyone else is going.