CR 250 for woods and desert riding

Just picked up an '02 CR250 with very few hours on it. I am trying to figure out what all I need to make it great in the woods (Belfair, Walker, etc.) and do alright over in the desert as well (Odessa, Green Dot Roads, etc.).

I am looking into getting a flywheel weight (size? not sure), skid plate, spark arrestor, kick stand, hand gaurds and maybe a rear seat handle. Any suggestions or recommendations of what to get or not to get would be greatly appreciated!

222923_2054369561476_1311672676_2454256_1401422_n.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up an '02 CR250 with very few hours on it. I am trying to figure out what all I need to make it great in the woods (Belfair, Walker, etc.) and do alright over in the desert as well (Odessa, Green Dot Roads, etc.).

I am looking into getting a flywheel weight (size? not sure), skid plate, spark arrestor, kick stand, hand gaurds and maybe a rear seat handle. Any suggestions or recommendations of what to get or not to get would be greatly appreciated!

222923_2054369561476_1311672676_2454256_1401422_n.jpg

Nice!

Controls first, suspension next. Then customize ?

handgaurds before anything... forget about the flywheel its unnecessary on a 250. skid plate next. Then suspension. after that FMF fatty with a powercore 2 silencer and i pipe guard and ur set. OH! and a JD Jetting kit,

after all that the bike is gonna rip. Kickstand also unimportant but if u really want one....

I have an 01 of the same bike. Get the gnarely pipe. Makes a huge huge difference with torque and flywheel weight and spend the money and time to properly jet it...and youll always still have black ooz even when you get it perfect. Makes the bike much more fun on the tight trails around here. You still will have all the power but it will smooth it out a little

Depending on the length of your rides, a larger gas tank might be in order. Also, if it doesn't have an oring chain I'd put one on pretty quick. I rode a CR in the woods for 10years and it was a fantastic bike for that purpose. Get it set up and you're going to love it.

Oh, take it from experience...until you get it jetted into perfection..carry 2 extra plugs on ever ride. Those bikes like being hammered and if your putting it in the tight stuff garanteed your gonna foul plugs.

one things for sure though...those bikes are more reliable than a hammer. my 01 I finally replaced the rings on only cus I felt guilty...not that it needed it. Its still a super strong creamer of a bike. Sad they stopped making them. I dream of a newer one in a 300 offroad config.

Thanks for all the info! I ordered a 10 oz flywheel weight, skid plate, spark plugs and spark arrestor so I will at least be legal to go and try it out. I will definitely look at a jetting kit and get some hand guards soon. I will also keep my eye out for a bigger tank and see if I can get one for less than the $200-300 I have seen.

I have to toss a vote in for a kickstand. Maybe not the first or second thing you get,but don't underestimate how nice they are to have. I did a couple of rides this year without one on my bike and immediately remembered how much it sucks to be without,especially on the ride I did on the eastside. Ordered up a PMB unit and have been happy ever since.

I have to toss a vote in for a kickstand. Maybe not the first or second thing you get,but don't underestimate how nice they are to have. I did a couple of rides this year without one on my bike and immediately remembered how much it sucks to be without,especially on the ride I did on the eastside. Ordered up a PMB unit and have been happy ever since.

Definitely. I will wait a bit to see if I can find one a bit cheaper and once I get some more money. Cheapest I can find now is $99. Spent a bunch on a few things and still have to pay sales tax when I transfer the title.

Unless your a novice level rider you don't need a flywheel weight, I tried one couldn't get it back off the bike fast enough, made the bike sleepy and slowed throttle response. It was the worst in the tight woods, hardly noticed it in the dez but hated it in the woods made the bike feel like it was jetted overly rich.

If your having to carry spark plugs because your fouling them your bike is not propperly jetted, no if ands or buts. Saying that a twostroke will foul plugs in tight woods is not true and spend some time and set if up for where you ride most and for the power delivery you like. It's 2011 time to put these twostroke myths to rest.

I would replace the TMX with a Keihin PWK before I did anything else for the motor. It will be a lot easier to jet and have better low end.

Then get the suspension sorted. And of course the normal bike protection and hand guards.

I have a 01.Gnarly pipe,flywheel weight 10 oz,big tank,guards ect.Best woods mods.Suspension,LTR,replace stock s-9 nozzle in carb with s-7.Never had anymore fouled plugs.

Friend of mine has 02 model. He said same thing about nozzle vice jets. Apparently acts similar and its only one thing to change out. FWWs help prevent stalls. That is a fact.

Two post here from NJ about how to setup a bike for woods in Wash. state. ?

For handling the back of the bike especially in trails I haven't seen anything better than animal handles. I got them for my 01 cr and it's way better than the carry strap by the rear seat or cutting your back side plates. It is a very good mod and it's inexpensive.

http://www.animalhandles.com/

You might have to call them up. I don't see the 01' cr on the website product list . I bet what's listed probably fits anyway.