Stage 2 cams installed

Last night I installed the Hotcams stage II cams for the KLX. I had a tough time deciding beween the KX cams or the KLX cams. Ended up going with the KLX cams due to the specs. part numbers 2198-2IN and 2199-2E

campartnumbers.JPG

checked the clearance and the intakes were perfect while the exhaust was .05mm too loose. Had to change shims to achieve proper exhaust clearance. Here they are ready to run

stage2cams.JPG

Got the bike all put together and going for a ride on this chilly saturday afternoon. 55 degrees today makes for great horsepower! :thumbsup:

KLXrightside.JPG

KLXleftside.JPG

KLXseat.JPG

I also did the PIAA HID conversion. I would highly recommend it to anyone for the $90 bucks it cost on Amazon. I mounted it to the inside of the number plate with 3M double sided body adhesive. There is plenty of room and it aint coming off.

Full report by the end of the weekend!

PIAAHIDsetup.JPG

PIAAHIDmounted.JPG

Your bike looks awesome in black! I think you made the right choice choosing the KLX cam over the KX cause you might have had problems with Electric starting with the KX like with the stock kx cam. What kind of jetting changes did you have to make? And with the HIDs did you have to upgrade the stator that sounds like a good deal to me since i like to do a lot of night riding :thumbsup:

Ride report:

Definately a big difference in performance. The stage 2 cams make the motor run like a KX. It now has a killer midrange hit and tons of over-rev. Much more suited to my style of riding (SX, dunes, etc). No loss of low-end either. It actually has better low-end than stock IMO. I would highly recommend this mod to anyone looking for KX level performance. The really nice thing is that it ran so smooth with the heavy flywheel and the wide ratio gearbox. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

Jetting I had to go to a 48 pilot with screw 2.5 turns out (it was cold today) along with a 170 keihin main jet. Dynojet needle on the 2nd clip up from the bottom. Bike ran as perfect as I could ask for. I may check the plug to evaluate the main jet when I get some more time.

The HID setup works awesome. It puts out a ton more light than stock but only draws 35w. Im running it off the stock battery and stock stator.

In stock form, the KLX headlight is wired straight to the stator in parallel with the regulator/rectifier (so its running on AC voltage). When the stock headlight is on, it is drawing current that would otherwise go towards charging the battery. So if you unplug the stock headlight, all of the current produced by the stator goes straight to rectifier and then to the battery. This is why some guys have installed a headlight switch on their bikes -- so they get max charging power to the battery. So far my stator has been able to keep the HID lit and keep the battery charged. Time will tell I guess.

Slick looking bike bro!

Nice job. Does the magic button works well with the stage 2 cams?

Thanks for the positive comments. The black body set is from UFO. It fit well and it came with a much better tail light.

Yes the electric start stilll works perfect!

Thanks for the positive comments. The black body set is from UFO. It fit well and it came with a much better tail light.

Yes the electric start stilll works perfect!

Do you have a picture of the tail light ?? What is different?

Do you have a picture of the tail light ?? What is different?

Its bigger and a lot brighter. And it has a third wire for a very bright brake light. I just took the light off the license plate bracket that it comes with, and I attached it to the rear fender with 3M body adhesive. No drilling and it looks great lit up.

KLXrear.JPG

KLXrear2.JPG

Its bigger and a lot brighter. And it has a third wire for a very bright brake light. I just took the light off the license plate bracket that it comes with, and I attached it to the rear fender with 3M body adhesive. No drilling and it looks great lit up.

Is the tail light plug n play or did you need a dual sport wiring kit?

Are you still able to run pump gas with the new cams?

The UFO tail light must be wired into your factory harness and you need to add a brake light switch if you want that function to work.

91 octane premium (no ethanol) is the only fuel I run and it is safe for stage II cams with stock compression.