Sign in to follow this  

2012 KTM's 2 stokes CONFIRMED with LINKAGE

See the latest TransWorld issue.

I thought the PDS works better KTM ???? Seems it was just LAST YEAR the KTM engineers were stuffing this into people pipes ... and based on a lot of responses in here ... people were hooked on the drug you were sending them.

Can't wait to hear the KTM engineers "new" story.

The PDS will be EXTINCT soon ....

What issue? May?!? Crap I haven't gotten it yet. I never have liked KTM's setup with their rear suspension. My neighbor always argues with me that KTM's design was better in the woods than my YZ's with the linkage. I wonder what he's going to say now.....

Maybe he'll tell the truth "all the morons that couldn't set-up a KTM rear-end finally won over KTM's marketing department, and now we'll be getting a POS linkage to have to service".:thumbsup:

This just after the mags started actually liking the no-link system. After years of them struggling with it.

Now we'll go thru the same learning curve with KTM's link system.:confused:

What issue? May?!? Crap I haven't gotten it yet. I never have liked KTM's setup with their rear suspension. My neighbor always argues with me that KTM's design was better in the woods than my YZ's with the linkage. I wonder what he's going to say now.....

Its the June issue ... I subscribe to the digital version and just got it on my computer this morning.

The only true "advantage" I could see with the PDS was the clearance. Other than that, I would expect a linkage with a rising rate to be more consistent in performance.

I think its funny in a way to see how the PDS clan is going to react ... after spewing its the best thing on earth as confirmed every year by KTM engineers :thumbsup::confused: ... but on a SERIOUS note ... its great to see KTM sinking development into their 2 stroke models year after year.

Servicing a linkage takes only 30 minutes max ... a few times a year. Not the end of the world.

First of all, i see you don't own a KTM, so why do feel the need to stir the pot in this forum? Feel threatened, or just like to troll?

First of all, i see you don't own a KTM, so why do feel the need to stir the pot in this forum? Feel threatened, or just like to troll?

Well ... FIRST of all ... I am buying a new bike next year and its either going to be the same brand or a KTM (300 XC)

Its people like YOU that make me not want to become one of the "KTM crowd" ... and yes ... that has meaning (reputation of some but not all). So I am in here ahead of time trying to find out as much as I can about the bike ... is that trolling to you?? Yes I like poking fun of people who make BOLD claims only to have them blow up in their faces ... guilty as charged :thumbsup::confused:

I am soooo threatend ...:worthy:

Just the SX models in the one page article, so the XC may still have PDS ??

Edited by supervokes

Anybody with a brain can get pds working offroad !

And anyone with a brain can get it working for mx too.

Good information, supervokes. Linkage is good or not. I had some apprehension about linkless suspension before I bought my 2010 XC-W but after heavier springs for my weight and some adjustments I find the PDS rear hands down the best I've ever had for off road/enduro riding. I don't care for the OC forks and PDS rear on the track but it's fantastic everywhere else....I would buy PDS again but it sounds like it's no longer an option. Good choice if you're going to get a new 300XC!!

Welcome to the KTM pinger forum too, supervokes. We do get some trolls here and that's why the more established peeps like gmoss get a little short sometimes but honestly there is a wealth of info. to be had and some great guys to help out (like gmoss).

Well ... FIRST of all ... I am buying a new bike next year and its either going to be the same brand or a KTM (300 XC)

Its people like YOU that make me not want to become one of the "KTM crowd" ... and yes ... that has meaning.

I am soooo threatend ...:thumbsup: trolling then, I take it?

Just the SX models shown, so the XC may still have PDS ??

HAHA, boy, all I did was react/post to your troll thread, and you call me out.? HAHA that's classic:lol: If I have that kind of influence over you, then that is sad.

YOU are the one throwing stones at KTM and us, the owners, what kind of reaction did you expect to get?

If you want to carry on an adult discussion about linkage vs nonlinkage, then I am all for it, but until you have owned a nonlinkage bike and understand the benefits it's brings, there is really no discussion to have.

Thanks Cubera !!

I know you know me from another forum, and we have had conversations about the 300XC.

Still riding the same model of bike, and cannot get the 300XC out of my mind:thumbsup:

Maybe I'll look at buying one, and just keeping BOTH bikes. Then after riding, decide which one. The problem is that I cannot find anybody with a NEW model 300XC to spend some time on ... most are older models. I am going to keep an eye out for the next demo day.

The KTM crowd is a little more "ornery" than the red crowd and don't like to be poked fun of. :thumbsup:

HAHA, boy, all I did was react/post to your troll thread, and you call me out.? HAHA that's classic:lol: If I have that kind of influence over you, then that is sad.

YOU are the one throwing stones at KTM and us, the owners, what kind of reaction did you expect to get?

If you want to carry on an adult discussion about linkage vs nonlinkage, then I am all for it, but until you have owned a nonlinkage bike and understand the benefits it's brings, there is really no discussion to have.

I STARTED the thread to provide info on the 2012 lineup.

Having a discussion of linkage vs. non-linkage will have about the same outcome as a discussion of whether or not Rotella is good for dirt bikes.

I was ribbing KTM engineers for saying LAST YEAR that the PDS was "better" for 2 strokes ... and here we are a year later, and they put linkage on the bikes.

Deal with it .... seems only one of us is actually providing NEW and useful information, while the other is defensively whining proving NOTHING to the conversation. PS ... are you wondering which one you are ??

Edited by supervokes

Good information, supervokes. Linkage is good or not. I had some apprehension about linkless suspension before I bought my 2010 XC-W but after heavier springs for my weight and some adjustments I find the PDS rear hands down the best I've ever had for off road/enduro riding. I don't care for the OC forks and PDS rear on the track but it's fantastic everywhere else....I would buy PDS again but it sounds like it's no longer an option. Good choice if you're going to get a new 300XC!!

Welcome to the KTM pinger forum too, supervokes. We do get some trolls here and that's why the more established peeps like gmoss get a little short sometimes but honestly there is a wealth of info. to be had and some great guys to help out (like gmoss).

Glad to discuss and help, but all I have read so far have been negative posts dissing KTM and the PDS proponents. There is simply no need for that in this forum. Maybe it is acceptable in the Honda forum, but we really don't get any of that here, nor do we want it.

I bet if I went to the Honda forum and in a negative way, poking fun at Honda and their owners, asked about Honda's valve problems/design, the reaction would much worse.

Get it?

:thumbsup:

I STARTED the thread to provide info on the 2012 lineup.

Having a discussion of linkage vs. non-linkage will have about the same outcome as a discussion of whether or not Rotella is good for dirt bikes.

I was ribbing KTM engineers for saying LAST YEAR that the PDS was "better" for 2 strokes ... and here we are a year later, and they put linkage on the bikes.

Deal with it .... seems only one of us is actually providing NEW and useful information, while the other is defensively whining. PS ... are you wondering which one you are ??

Boy, you don't disappoint do you? That's ok, keep it up.

BTW, you haven't provided anything useful or anything that wasn't already known.

Before calling people names, maybe you should do some reading in the FAQ and see just WHO has been posting useful information.

Boy, you don't disappoint do you? That's ok, keep it up.

BTW, you haven't provided anything useful or anything that wasn't already known. Before calling people names, maybe you should do some reading in the FAQ and see just WHO has been posting useful information.

OK, tell me then if you already know ....

Does the 2012 300XC have linkage ?? What are the changes if any ??

OK, tell me then if you already know ....

Does the 2012 300XC have linkage ?? What are the changes if any ??

From the brochure already posted the 2012 off-road bikes will NOT have linkage, even the 4-strokes, but they will all have the new frame. It is possible some bikes will as the whole lineup has not been announced or leaked out yet. Maybe the 2-stroke SX bikes will come with linkage?

Also KTM said a few year back the will begin integrating linkage suspension back in due to the US motocross market demand. They claimed no performance advantage in switching but that the American motocross buyer had a preconceived notion that PDS did not work. It was a profit decision to bring linkage back, at least that is what it sounded like in the interview.

I have ridden both and can tell you PDS works just fine. When I first rode my KTM I was expecting some weird rear end action after reading all the crap people spew. I didn't notice anything, the bike behaved just like it should.