confused about Ca street legality of 525

My bud has a 2004 525 exc that has a California plate that I'm thinking of buying. I understood the previous cutoff for legalizing dirt bikes was 2003. Is there a loophole somewhere that allows this bike to be street legal or am I at risk of losing the plate if I buy it? I searched for an answer to this on Thumpertalk and could not, for the life of me, find it. I seem to recall that the VIN had something to do with it but can't find any post to that effect. Thanks in advance for any help someone might be.

Yes early 04 could be made legal

Welcome to the wacky world of CA politics. Generally, all is well and good for whatever registration the bike currently has…….. Keep in mind that CA keeps trying to subject motorcycles to emissions testing. If this ever comes to fruition, then CA could take away a plate on a post 2002 YM OHV bike that was somehow issued a plate. But then, CA could grandfather in existing bikes and go forward from current date.

If you want to know what year make and model is legally plateable in CA as long as the bike is configured OEM, then check this out:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php#4

When I questioned the DMV about this issue, they told me that as long as it has a plate already, they won't take it away. Getting a 2004 EXC a new plate if it doesn't already have one is dam near impossible though. If he's your friend, ask for the paperwork to go to the DMV and attempt to register the bike in your name. If they don't take the plate, pay your friend for the bike. If you attempt to register it and they say you have to turn in the plate, tell them nevermind and go give your friend his paperwork back.

The last date to legally plate a green sticker dual sported bike in CA was Jan 31, 2004.

The last date to legally plate a green sticker dual sported bike in CA was Jan 31, 2004.

You need to add easily and legally.

After that date requires some massaging of the forms and procedures.

If it was easy little kids would do it.

Versus us men.

Doc bob

I have an 06 that I bought plated in 08. I have never had any problem re-registering it. The hair on the back of my neck raises every time I get a renewal notice but to date, no problems.

Thanks Guys. The bike was initially purchased in 2003 so maybe it was registered for street the first time it was registered. I don't know how to find the answer to that. My friend looked on the reg form and could only say that it was first registered in '03 but didn't know if it was plated then. Thanks again!

There is a legislation that ktm meets as far as street legality that allows them to have a plate from the factory. This includes blinkers lights horn etc. It came from ktm street legal and they will never take the plate away. If they revoke any plates, they will be off of the previously green sticker bikes that were plated aftermarket. The ktms are special due to the amount of effort they put in with CARB to make their bikes street legal.

Just my $.02

There is a legislation that ktm meets as far as street legality that allows them to have a plate from the factory. This includes blinkers lights horn etc. It came from ktm street legal and they will never take the plate away. If they revoke any plates, they will be off of the previously green sticker bikes that were plated aftermarket. The ktms are special due to the amount of effort they put in with CARB to make their bikes street legal.

This only applies to 2007 and later EXC 450/525/530 models.