use different oil due to climate?

I have a 2009 KLX250SF and I'm about to handle the first oil change.

Flipping though the manual it states the oil is 10W-40. However, it also states to you "may need to change" to a different viscosity due to "atomspheric conditions."

I live in Central Florida so it rarely gets below freezing. Possibly for a couple of days (spread out) through winter. And I wouldn't be riding anyway when it's that cold. ;-)

My riding temps are between 50 to 90 or more. And there's the humidity here.

The manual says the 10W-40 is for temps up to 104. It doesn't get that hot but it may be above that with the "real feel" temp when you include the humidity on some days (temp is 95 but real feel is 105).

Anyone have thoughts on changing my oil viscosity due to my climate?

Maybe changing to 20W-50?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

You could use the heavier oil during the hottest period of summer, but I think the 10w-40 is a good all around weight. I think the heavier weight may take more time to get where it has to go. I may be wrong. Use a good grade M.C. oil and I think you will be fine 10-40 or 20-50.

15w-40 Rotella or 15w-50 Mobil 1. Cheap and effective, or, more expensive and effective, your choice! :thumbsup:

Thanks.

:thumbsup:

This has been an ongoing discussion on Thumpertalk since I have been a member. While we all have our pet choices the main consensus of opinion that we all agree on is use a quality oil and change it regularly. All the weights mentioned in the threads would work just fine

This has been an ongoing discussion on Thumpertalk since I have been a member. While we all have our pet choices the main consensus of opinion that we all agree on is use a quality oil and change it regularly. All the weights mentioned in the threads would work just fine

Yeah, you are right about that.

I ended up just getting the Kawi 10w40 oil and the Kawi oil filter. I'll stick with OEM stuff for now.

:smirk:

Yeah, you are right about that.

I ended up just getting the Kawi 10w40 oil and the Kawi oil filter. I'll stick with OEM stuff for now.

:smirk:

Hi-Flo filter is excellent for this application, also. Hard to beat!

Thanks for the info. I actually did the oil and filter change this morning.

So the next time around. :smirk:

also, how long are your trips? if your doing a 15min commute 10w30 would be fine.

My 250SF is my commuter. It's about 5 miles each way to work and then back home. No highways, so yeah, it's about a 15 minute commute.

This go around I went with the Kawi products (10w-40 oil and filter). I was at the dealership for my jet kit install and just picked everything up then. This time I went with "convenience". :smirk: