Spoke Weights

I had a bad headshake/wheel hop on my street legal DRZ400E above 45 MPH that I suspected was from the single factory rim locks F & R. When I changed out the factory tires last year, I switched to the Motion Pro Lite Locs F & R and it got better, but I still wasn't satisfied. So, for this riding season I decided to balance both of my wheels using the axle, cones, and stand method. The F needed 2.5 oz and the R 3.5 oz to balance - yikes! I ordered some adhesive tape weights, but when I got them, I found that the DRZ rim profiles were too narrow to adequately secure them, plus I would have needed 10 in F and 14 in the R, which would have looked bad, IMO. Thus, I went looking for spoke weights, and found these: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/jiminwc/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562 Jim shipped them to me quickly and even discounted his eBay prices since I bought them from him directly. Well, I just got them and they work great! They are nicely machined, mount securely, and the nickel finish matches the rims/spokes very well. Anyhow, I just wanted to let other owners know about this excellent product. If you want to contact Jim to get some for yourself, you can do so at:

636-456-7792

jnovelli@centurytel.net

IMG_0969.JPG

Edited by areyou4real

Thanks for the info. I just balanced my wheels. 9 tape on weights in the rear,7 quarter ounce weights in the front. I first thought the tape weights would be easier, but using so many I'd rather use spoke weights because I can reuse them again and again. RECYCLE

I added him to by e-bay buyer list. Thanks again

Edited by toadl
additional info

those are expensive. just wrap solder around a spoke

I just installed those too. One set wasn't actually enough for both wheels, ugh! The allen that you need to tighten them up is not metric which sucks. Well made product, waiting for another set to show up to finish the balancing job.

I went looking for spoke weights, and found these: http://motors.shop.e...sid=p4340.l2562 Jim shipped them to me quickly and even discounted his eBay prices since I bought them from him directly. Well, I just got them and they work great! They are nicely machined, mount securely, and the nickel finish matches the rims/spokes very well. Anyhow, I just wanted to let other owners know about this excellent product.

I just installed those too. One set wasn't actually enough for both wheels, ugh! The allen that you need to tighten them up is not metric which sucks. Well made product, waiting for another set to show up to finish the balancing job.

How do you guys like these weights? Have you had any problems with them? How are they holding up? I just got new tires and need to offset the weight of my rimlocks. The front one weighs 2.5oz and the rear weighs 4oz. These look like a nice investment, but I'd like to hear your opinions?

Those look nice, but expensive. I just used some K&L crimp on spoke weights to balance my new tires with a TubLiss setup. I was surprised at how much weight it took to balance those TubLiss systems. I ended up needing at least twice as much as I expected - probably in the neighborhood of 5 oz, which puts weights on about 6 spokes.

The crimp on weights were difficult to install tight enough that they hopefully won't rattle around. And now I have plier teeth marks all over them. I suspect there is a tool to do this, but I just used channel lock pliers.

Those look nice, but expensive. I just used some K&L crimp on spoke weights to balance my new tires with a TubLiss setup. I was surprised at how much weight it took to balance those TubLiss systems. I ended up needing at least twice as much as I expected - probably in the neighborhood of 5 oz, which puts weights on about 6 spokes.

The crimp on weights were difficult to install tight enough that they hopefully won't rattle around. And now I have plier teeth marks all over them. I suspect there is a tool to do this, but I just used channel lock pliers.

Yeah, they're expensive, but they're also reusable. I guess I'll have to price our crimp-on weights and see how long it would take the reusables to pay for themselves. I saw one user on here take the lead egg weights used for fishing, cut an opening in them with a hack saw, and then crimped them onto the spokes with pliers.

Been making my own out of 16mm dia stainless steel bar for years :smirk:

As you've discovered, the amount of stick on weights required to balance a rim lock is crazy, and the front rim is so narrow that only the old style 5g lead weights fit on (lengthways), modern 5g steel weights are bigger and don't fit (as steel is less dense than lead hence why they are bigger for the same mass)

Yeah, they're expensive, but they're also reusable. I guess I'll have to price our crimp-on weights and see how long it would take the reusables to pay for themselves. I saw one user on here take the lead egg weights used for fishing, cut an opening in them with a hack saw, and then crimped them onto the spokes with pliers.

+1. That's what I've done and secured them with a blob of black silicone. Cost $0. Reusable. Still there after many miles.

I just balanced my DRZ rear wheel (w/ Motion Pro LiteLoc & Kenda Track Masters) it took 3.5 oz. The PO only installed 1 rim lock, so in the future I'll put another one opposite of the current one to reduce the # of balance weight required.

Edited by bmwpowere36m3

How about balancing beads? I put two of those plastic motion-pro rims locks on my back wheel 180 apart and then put balancing beads in the tire. Everything is fine and it takes less time.

Steve

How about balancing beads? I put two of those plastic motion-pro rims locks on my back wheel 180 apart and then put balancing beads in the tire. Everything is fine and it takes less time.

Steve

Your wheels are in better balance primarily due to the fact that you installed the rim locks 180 degrees apart. The 'balancing beads' likely had very little to do with it.

I decided to spend the money and ordered some of those reusable spoke weights. Yesterday I noticed that some of my crimped on weights have already fallen loose, and I haven't even riddent the bike yet. I bought steel weights because they look better, but I was unable to crimp them tight enough to stay put.

Ended up buying nickel plated weights from Jim today. No-Mar makes a similar chrome plated product for less, but all the reviews I read about Jim on here, advrider, and ridedualsport made it a no-brainer. All buyers seem to be extremely happy, both with the product and the customer service. These weights and the No-Mar weights are both made in USA, but it's nice to support a small business. I'll let you know how they turn out.

I just installed a set of the reusable spoke weights. I am impressed. Since I value my time, I now think they were well worth the money. They were much easier to install than the crimp on weights - and they look much, much nicer. Another advantage is that you can move them out of the way when you check your spoke tension. I just wish they also had 1.5 and 2.0 oz weights - it takes a lot of weight to balance the TubLiss system.