Modified clutch lever ?

Hey guys,

I was trying to setup all my levers/pedals/etc. to fit me after buying my " new " bike from someone else.

When pulling on the clutch lever i end up touching my other fingers...this would likely make the cluctch only partially engage right ?

Do you guys warp your levers to fit around your remaining fingers and if so how without breaking the lever.

Any other solution ?

Partial engagement ok anyway ?

Thanks for your help,

FG

I typically adjust the cable so that when the bike is hot theres a very very small amount of free play, so the clutch is already full engaged by the time it hits my fingers. The small amount of free play keeps me from inadvertantly pulling the lever a tiny bit while riding because I leave two fingers on the clutch all the time.

As stated above, I like to keep the cable tight enough that the clutch is fully engaged by the time it touches my fingers. Make sure there is still free play so that you don't burn up your clutch. There are certain clutch levers that are made to fit around your index finger.

As stated above, I like to keep the cable tight enough that the clutch is fully engaged by the time it touches my fingers. Make sure there is still free play so that you don't burn up your clutch. There are certain clutch levers that are made to fit around your index finger.

oh wow thank you. i actually just adjusted my clutch and i made it so there is no play.

thank you!!

So even without having the lever all the way (hitting the index) there is enough clutching for me not to mess my transmission ?

Also...i have to use two fingers because of the force required to pull it fully...cable is new and well lubbed...any one modified the part that the cable attaches to so it would give more leverage to be able to do it by hand ?

Any clutch kit with different springs maybe or something that would allow me to keep as many fingers as possible on the bars ?

Lifting weights at the gym with my left index is out of the question ?

I dont know if you can get lighter springs,but I know a lot of clutch kits offer heavy duty springs which will only make the pull worse. Check to make sure the perch is clean ect. Technically you do not need to use yoru clutch to shift except to start from a standstill or stop, but i'll leave that debate out of it for all the nay sayers. If you adjust it to have very little free play, but the time it hits your fingers it'll be fully engaged and wont harm your clutch one bit.

You said you adjusted it so there's no play. That'll fry your clutch. Go back and adjust it so there's some amount of play. The ole rule of thumb is about the thickness of a nickle. To make sure you've gotten a little bit of play, ride it on a slow straight that you would normally ride 1st or second 2nd gear. Shift into third or forth without going any faster. With consistent throttle, work the clutch in and out about an inch or so. If you can feel it engage and disengage you'll be ok. If it's not disengaging when you let it out, you've got it too tight.

As mentioned, you don't need your clutch to down shift.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are having trouble with the clutch lever being too hard to pull, try moving your clutch perch toward the center/inward. This will allow you to pull the lever on the end with more leverage. I did this on my bike and I only have to us my pointer finger to engage the clutch now.