Top end change time

Ok Guy's ripped down the kid's Jr 80 and found that the piston had some scratches one in the front that looked pretty bad the rest pretty superficial. The cylinder looks like it can be honed up with a ball hone (if there is such an animal)?? I am not a bit big bike gear head but do Lot's of car stuff! So I'm thinking since the piston can be moved in the bore from side to side there needs to be a top end redo? I want to go forged, can anyone advise on a kit from Wisco? I also was curious on the what the tolerances on the bottom end (big end) are? Have not got a manual yet but will have one upon reinstall.....

Thanks

If you can feel it with your finger nail then it is a problem, I would go with the OEM from Suzuki and get the kit that contains are of the necessary parts you need.

The dealer can inform you of the side-to-side in the bottom-end if you don't have a manual.

I just buy the OEM piston/rings/gaskets, some people go with Wiseco pistons and stuff but I have never had any problems from OEM parts, plus I know it is the right parts...

Since we have this thing apart what are some things that can be done to increase the power on tgis bike? So your feeling is that the forged piston wont give this engine a little more durability?Also the cylinder appears preaty free of deep scratches and looks like it will clean up just fine with a ball hone. My question is who carries these hones for bikes? Or is there another way to get the cross hatching back??

Thanks

sounds like its time for a replate if that piston' been rattling around, a new piston won't make up for a worn bore. also this will give you a performance gain.

Any ideas of the tolerances/ Where would one get this sort of thing done?

www.powersealusa.com....fast turnaround, quality work too. BTW, they need a piston to fit the bore to, you can buy your own or they'll supply one, Wiesco is the choice for pistons. Edited by aakmetz

a ball home can be purchased at rockymountainatv.com i believe. i remember seeing one on there.

ball hone is not the right tool.

why is there a big scratch ?

Ok Guy's the pressure is on! The little Guy is hounding me big! (Can't say I blame him) Anyway What way should I go here?? I would love to get the bike running top notch (like new) with some improvement in performance. Hard Chroming is new to me and it sound's intriguing for sure! But the tried and true Bore and oversize seems easy to? What way would you all go and why? Looking at this cylinder it does not appear to be any deep gauges,that being the case is there a process that I can do to clean up the cylinder and get some cross hatch back? This is provided that the cylinder is still withen spec.?..Also I sure would love some tips on a port,polish job!! And if anyone has a manual they would like to pass on (sell) LMK

Thanks!

Thanks

Ok Guy's the pressure is on! The little Guy is hounding me big! (Can't say I blame him) Anyway What way should I go here?? I would love to get the bike running top notch (like new) with some improvement in performance. Hard Chroming is new to me and it sound's intriguing for sure! But the tried and true Bore and oversize seems easy to? What way would you all go and why? Looking at this cylinder it does not appear to be any deep gauges,that being the case is there a process that I can do to clean up the cylinder and get some cross hatch back? This is provided that the cylinder is still withen spec.?..Also I sure would love some tips on a port,polish job!! And if anyone has a manual they would like to pass on (sell) LMK

Thanks!

Thanks

If the cylinder is in spec a scotchbrite pad, some solvent, and some elbow grease will clean her up fine. If you can't feel the scratches with a fingernail you're fine.

i don`t reccomend using a scotchbrite pad because it would make the cylinder uneven of scratching. A ball hone would work just fine just run it threw a couple of times and it should be good.

i don`t reccomend using a scotchbrite pad because it would make the cylinder uneven of scratching. A ball hone would work just fine just run it threw a couple of times and it should be good.

Poor mans ball hone. I've scotchbrited many a cylinder back to a nice crosshatch.

Thanks!

Thanks

remeber who your asking advice from. many cant change oil without stripping the bolt. just sayin :smirk:. good luck with that ball hone HAHAHHAAA

Well I'm an HVAC mechanic and my hobby's are Hot rodiing and Drag racing so I think I can handle this.... So KTM do you recamend the bore or hard chrome to original spec? The piston did have a bit of rock i9n the bore...Only looking for the proper direction...With that in mind manual here I come!

Thanks Fella's

go for the replate, it'll make it like brand new performance, if you bore it then you'll have other problems to deal with, possible carb and exhaust mods, and or overheating issues.

Well the cylinder isn't that bad so I'm thinking I will take it to the machine shop for a clean up. Who has the best prices for a complete top end kit with wrist pin baring and gasket's? I'm thinking a Wiseco forged piston is the way to go here,yea I'm on a budget but I want to do this right. Please explain why the bike will overheat? Does an over bore really cause jetting issues?? Oh forgot to mention I will be looking at porting the head and possibly putting an aftermarket pipe on in time...

Well the cylinder isn't that bad so I'm thinking I will take it to the machine shop for a clean up. Who has the best prices for a complete top end kit with wrist pin baring and gasket's? I'm thinking a Wiseco forged piston is the way to go here,yea I'm on a budget but I want to do this right. Please explain why the bike will overheat? Does an over bore really cause jetting issues?? Oh forgot to mention I will be looking at porting the head and possibly putting an aftermarket pipe on in time...
www.rockymountainatv.com for the piston. although i'd recomend using oem gaskets, they fit better, anytime you go beyond stock specs on the bore, there can be jetting issues, bigger bore will need more fuel, also bigger bore needs more cooling. porting the head and an exhaust will need carb work too, bottom line is the faster you want to go the more it costs. i would just freshen up the bore, new piston. and ride it, he'll outgrow it and then you'll have bigger bikes to spend more money on.
www.rockymountainatv.com for the piston. although i'd recomend using oem gaskets, they fit better, anytime you go beyond stock specs on the bore, there can be jetting issues, bigger bore will need more fuel, also bigger bore needs more cooling. porting the head and an exhaust will need carb work too, bottom line is the faster you want to go the more it costs. i would just freshen up the bore, new piston. and ride it, he'll outgrow it and then you'll have bigger bikes to spend more money on.

good advice :smirk:

Yea your probably right I'll end up spending the dough and he will grow a bunch and I'll be out the cash for the mod's! So you don't think I should go with a forged piston either?

Rocky mountain does not carry top end kit's for this Bike. Anyone else I can go with?