Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Wood in cylinder? Plz Help

Recommended Posts

Just bought 1998 Honda XR250R 4500km

Didnt have any service history with it so i bought a Haynes manual and one of the jobs i was doing was to check valves.

Simply I used a pencil tied to a piece of string to locate TDC unfortunatly about 1cm broke off and now im stuck to what to do?

Any of you guys got any solutions

Thanks Steve

PS if I fire it up will it destroy engine or eventually being wood burn way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DO NOT START THE MOTOR!!!!

Remove the head and retrieve it.

If you start it the pencil will be jammed into the head and could wreck the head, piston, or valves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

throw an eraser in there. :thumbsup:

joking of course. yeah remove head and fish it out. about all you can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
throw an eraser in there. :thumbsup:

joking of course. yeah remove head and fish it out. about all you can do.

LOL. The lengths some people will go to for leaded gas. :confused:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As above OR, get a length of thin dowel or wire and stick something like blu-tack on the end, insert in the spark plug hole and CAREFULLY, without sticking the blu-tack to the piston, try and fish it out, you will need a torch and possibly some one to hold the bike and wriggle it round as well. That could save a couple hours work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pop the head off, 15 minute job [if your 16 though it could take a few months] like another thread but really, no big deal . Always better safe then sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pop the head off, 15 minute job [if your 16 though it could take a few months] like another thread but really, no big deal . Always better safe then sorry.

LMAO

:thumbsup::lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for the the quick responses.. been to bed... up early and had a think!!

Going to try piece of plastic tube with some double sided tape on it (dont fancy shovin blue tac/eraser in as the invitable will happen and will have to fish that out!!! lol

Also makin an piece of small hose to tape to end of hover to see if that will suck it out!!!

Not what i wanted to do on a sunday morning... should of known better being 47 lol

Will update so wont get any more smart arse answers :-)

Cheers Steve

PS Yes i know im an idiot/etc etc etc :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also makin an piece of small hose to tape to end of hover to see if that will suck it out!!!

Will update so wont get any more smart arse answers :-)

Cheers Steve

PS Yes i know im an idiot/etc etc etc :-)

Yeah, it takes a thick skin to post/interact in this forum sometimes.

When you rig up the Hoover, I think first, I would make the tubing small enough that the pencil piece can't be sucked thru it, but just grab and hold it while you pull it out. That way you know when you've actually got it, instead of having to dig thru the Hoovers dust bin to try to find it.

Something else I thought of......a justification to the Wife for buying a new tool.

The pencil floats. You could partially fill the cylinder with oil and use a wet/dry shop vac with the biggest tip you can fit thru the spark plug hole. The surface tension/capillarity properties between the pencil and oil would cause the pencil to be pulled along with the oil as it's being sucked out. Wouldn't have to be directly on the pencil to grab it.

That's getting pretty desperate tho, not to have to just take the head off. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheers for the the quick responses.. been to bed... up early and had a think!!

Going to try piece of plastic tube with some double sided tape on it (dont fancy shovin blue tac/eraser in as the invitable will happen and will have to fish that out!!! lol

Also makin an piece of small hose to tape to end of hover to see if that will suck it out!!!

Not what i wanted to do on a sunday morning... should of known better being 47 lol

Will update so wont get any more smart arse answers :-)

Cheers Steve

PS Yes i know im an idiot/etc etc etc :-)

Your not an idiot. I think ALL of us have done some things that blew up in our face. Usually sucks when it happens but makes for funny stories after its fixed. You did 1 thing right for sure, posted in here before you went any further :thumbsup:. This has got to be one of the most easy goin, helpfull sections on TT (seriously, just check out the othger sections and you'll see some major a-hole trolls).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excuse me. Not following the separate caseywoods thread. Guess I'm the dumbass there........Well, I read up on that. Casey needs to do some self re edumacatin'. When in doubt read the F'ing manual over and over. Back to this thread, I was thinking as an act of desperation to try air pressure rather than vacume. Pull the carb, set the crank position to where the intake valves are maxxed open and put the air nozzle to the spark plug hole.

Edited by valvesrule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Spoken like a true 16 year old . You show no respect, you get no respect.

I'm sure your busy like the rest of us, running a business that employs real people that have their own family's to support, raising a couple kids, paying for one in college, paying a mortgage and all that comes with that but it will be many years from now that you figure out what busy means.

I have given you some of my precious time and shared my experience and knowledge along with the rest of the great guys on here and all showed you [caseywoods] respect all the way and you can't take a little ribbing, grow up or go away.

no, i didn't show you respect because you were talking shit about me. if you didn't mention me, i never would have said a word to you. and i know you have given some of your time, and i appreciate it. i just don't like people talking shit about me, i'm sure there's not alot of people that do. and i may not have kids, a house, a mortgage, etc. but i do have other things to do (school work, doing odd jobs to make cash so i can fix my toys, fixing other toys that need fixing, etc.) i'm sorry for saying what i did, now can we move on and figure some shit out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Better to be a smart ass than a dumb ass.:confused: Did you learn something here? Next time use the timing marks on the flywheel. If ya' fire it up you could get real lucky and blow it out the exhaust(<1% chance). More likely it would get caught in an exhaust valve seat, hold the valve open contacting the piston bending the valve cracking the guide crushing the top ring groove and taking much more of your precious time(>99% chance). We all have other things to do, man up, do the smart thing and fix it...or sell it and get on with your other priorities.:thumbsup:

i know to use the timing marks on the flywheel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why didn't you just turn the bike upside down and shake the hell out of it until the pencil came out?:smirk::smirk:

And to the potty mouthed 16 year old-

Some sage advice was offered on the other thread (I bit as well) yet you continued to randomly stab at things on your own after "read the manual" was stressed to you on more than one occasion. It's a given that after repeatedly stating you didn't follow the directions you still have a bike that doesn't run that folks here are going to heckle you over it. Build a little tolerance, or spend a little more time "learning before turning" the wrench. OR, continue the way you are and wonder why the world is out to get you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Why didn't you just turn the bike upside down and shake the hell out of it until the pencil came out?:smirk::smirk:

And to the potty mouthed 16 year old-

Some sage advice was offered on the other thread (I bit as well) yet you continued to randomly stab at things on your own after "read the manual" was stressed to you on more than one occasion. It's a given that after repeatedly stating you didn't follow the directions you still have a bike that doesn't run that folks here are going to heckle you over it. Build a little tolerance, or spend a little more time "learning before turning" the wrench. OR, continue the way you are and wonder why the world is out to get you.

and like said before, after timing it incorrectly i reviewed over the manual and realized what i did wrong (first time i had the cam lobes pointing up, second time i tried to do it fast so i could hurry and get it done). and i know how to work on a motor ("turn a wrench"), it's my first xr. i usually work on engines that are a little different, and this is my first 4 valve (RFVC) engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×