Installed Pro-Cycle jet kit

It took me about 45 minutes, did the slide mod, air-screw, needle, main-jet, removed the snorkel and the air-box side.

It is actually ridable now, what a HUGE difference, now I need to get exhaust and remove the 20lb OEM muffler.

I know why the original owner never road it, because it was un-ridable in stock condition.

It has now 845 miles on it, I am not sure when they went to a 'fixed-needle' but I think it was in the mid 90's or so. I guess it was the EPA/CARB requirements???

I am not sure when they went to a 'fixed-needle' but I think it was in the mid 90's or so. I guess it was the EPA/CARB requirements???

Late 70's

Late 70's

Was it another mandate from the Gob'ment?

Was it another mandate from the Gob'ment?

Of course. They also mandated tamper proof idle mixture screws at the same time. The manufacturers would rather sell bikes that run properly.

Of course. They also mandated tamper proof idle mixture screws at the same time. The manufacturers would rather sell bikes that run properly.

Run properly, that is sarcasm correct?

:thumbsup:

Run properly, that is sarcasm correct?

:confused:

No, not a bit. Suzuki would much rather sell you a DR650 that runs great but the government emission rules make that pretty much impossible. The manufacturer's challenge is to make the bike run well enough that it can get out of the dealer parking lot and down the road a ways but still meet government regulations.

Hopefully the EPA never realizes that they could achieve zero emissions if the bikes were jetted so poorly that they would not run at all. (sarcasm) :thumbsup:

No, not a bit. Suzuki would much rather sell you a DR650 that runs great but the government emission rules make that pretty much impossible. The manufacturer's challenge is to make the bike run well enough that it can get out of the dealer parking lot and down the road a ways but still meet government regulations.

Hopefully the EPA never realizes that they could achieve zero emissions if the bikes were jetted so poorly that they would not run at all. (sarcasm) :smirk:

That is funny, the EPA helping ruin business for xx amount of years.

:smirk: