Sign in to follow this  

Good Gloves/ Prevent Broken Fingers

Hey everybody, I'm looking for some good gloves that will protect from rash but also broken fingers. I'm a guitar player and rather like my finger flexability. You can see why breaking a finger would not only halt progress but could also end my playing altogether if the break was bad enough. It looks like the majority of gloves don't prevent things from crushing fingers or bending but I found these puppies and thought I'd ask around

knox-handroid-gloves.jpg

http://uncrate.com/p/2009/11/knox-handroid-gloves.jpg

Anyone know anything about the knox handroid besides the huge price?

$250 :confused:

That's worth more than my helm. They were made for on-road use but as long as they breathe I don't see how if could hurt using it for motocross. I also really like the wrist guard these things have. Perhaps someone can suggest a cheaper glove that also prevents breaks :thumbsup:

I wouldn't recommend a full street leather glove on a dirt bike.

Your hands move around a lot more violently on the dirt compared to street. Once you start sweating in these, I can imagine it getting pretty uncomfortable and possibly even painful due to sweaty skin rubbing against leather.

May as well siton the couch and ride through a video game. We all have to work on Monday.

Get a set of cyrco's or ego guards. Gloves won't save your pinkies. Punch a tree...see what I mean.

Those look like Motard gloves, not full road race, but close. Designed to protect the hands from asphalt abrasion while sliding across the pavement. You might be able to use them for MX, but to tell you the truth, they won't save you from a broken finger anymore than regular dirt gloves. If you can move your fingers, your fingers can be moved, if they are moved too far, they break. No safety gear is 100% protection from everything.

Interesting though because "maybe/might is clearly justification for a lot of safety gear.

Those look like Motard gloves, not full road race, but close. Designed to protect the hands from asphalt abrasion while sliding across the pavement. You might be able to use them for MX, but to tell you the truth, they won't save you from a broken finger anymore than regular dirt gloves. If you can move your fingers, your fingers can be moved, if they are moved too far, they break. No safety gear is 100% protection from everything.

Ditto on those thoughts. I hit the end of a sawed off tree limb with my knuckle pretty much head-on a while back. Not only did this cause me to highside, but it also ripped my knuckle open right through the heavy padding, even though it didn't damage the glove one bit. Even if a glove could keep your fingers from moving out of place in a crash, the strain would just be transferred to somewhere else, like possibly your wrist.

well if you want get the gloves you have in the post 1 size larger then normal and put on a pair of cheap mx gloves underneath that

wast of money,t hey wont save your hands.

get gloves with carbon nuckles and get a set of bark busters on your bike.

Since I plan on riding apalachicola in Florida when I move down there I will definitely get some bark busters/first aid/MREs but for the MX track and ramps I can't see me using the bark busters. They seem entirely cheesy to just ride around with but incredibly effective in wooded areas.

But I'm really looking for something to help after I bail. What's proper form for hands when crashing. I know the instant reflex is to put them infront of you to break your fall but should you clench into fists? or should you stay completly loose?

loose is better, and not to put your arms out infront. always try and roll....

you wont find gloves that wont let your fingers hyper extend/brake. and if there is, then they are for sure not made for MX and wont be comfy at all to wait wile riding MX.

Yeah I know what you mean, just looking for the best bang for my buck since my hands are important to me.

About the roll. I remember someone saying they worked on judo rolls to get comfortable with rolling while crashing. I've been looking for a riding class that actually teaches proper crash technique. They used to but I guess it's not important anymore :thumbsup: atleast not at motorcycle courses (no MX courses around here)

Are you guys even looking at the gloves? Dont see the hard plastic or whatever on top of the fingers?

Yeah that's the exoskeleton technology. I'm thinking that's for stopping the finger from bending backwards and breaking.

Those extensions on the back of the fingers will just transfer the force somewhere else. You'll break the first knuckle instead of the second if you land wrong.

Practice your tuck and roll technique.

.....Practice your tuck and roll technique.

I dunno about you guys....im usually fighting the fall till it's too late. Then it's just a case of splat - f*** that hurt. :thumbsup:

No glove will 100% protect from breaking fingers. AlpineStar Road Race gloves had the fingers webbed together to help reduce the fingers being pulled sideways when sliding down pavement. The street/Road Race gloves are designed more to help protect skin when sliding down pavement.

tuck and roll baby tuck and roll,if your really stressing about your fingers and hands maaybe a diffrent hobbie/sport if in line...just sayin

I already wakeboard and plan on diving and windsurfing so a fear of broken bones isn't going to stop me. However, prevention has always been my philosophy and so I just want the best glove for the job. I'll start a tuck and roll training regiment and add it to my cardio workouts. Thanks for all the advice gentlemen.