Sign in to follow this  

Dead engine starts

So what is the best technique for dead engine starts? I had a race with this type of start recently, and had never even thought about how I would go about a dead engine start until 15 minutes before the race. I tried to start the bike in second, and ended up almost looping out, and getting all out of control with 20 other guys right next to me. I practiced it a bit and decided to start in neutral and shift to first at the next race. I had a clean start, but wound up way in the back even though my bike started first kick. I can rip a holeshot over everyone else in my class nearly every time when it comes to live engine starts, but I just cant seem to get this down. BTW, I ride a cr250, stock gearing, starts first kick every time, most of the time when in gear. Thanks for any replies

iv got a yz250 and get around top 3 on the start for the most part. I always start in first gear. Before you crank it make shure the pistion is at the top of the stroke(the kick starter catches at the highest point). i usually give it around 1/8th of throttle and when i kick i give it more and release the clutch slowly until i know for shure its started. i try to sit as close to the tank as i can without it messing my kick up. this helps keep the bike from wanting to wheelie.

hope this helps

heres a vid of one of my starts earlier this year

iv got a yz250 and get around top 3 on the start for the most part. I always start in first gear. Before you crank it make shure the pistion is at the top of the stroke(the kick starter catches at the highest point). i usually give it around 1/8th of throttle and when i kick i give it more and release the clutch slowly until i know for shure its started. i try to sit as close to the tank as i can without it messing my kick up. this helps keep the bike from wanting to wheelie.

hope this helps

heres a vid of one of my starts earlier this year

Thats a sick video, loved all the dirty passes :thumbsup:.

Thanks for the advice. Would have never thought of putting the piston at TDC.

So what is the best technique for dead engine starts? I had a race with this type of start recently, and had never even thought about how I would go about a dead engine start until 15 minutes before the race. I tried to start the bike in second, and ended up almost looping out, and getting all out of control with 20 other guys right next to me. I practiced it a bit and decided to start in neutral and shift to first at the next race. I had a clean start, but wound up way in the back even though my bike started first kick. I can rip a holeshot over everyone else in my class nearly every time when it comes to live engine starts, but I just cant seem to get this down. BTW, I ride a cr250, stock gearing, starts first kick every time, most of the time when in gear. Thanks for any replies

your bike starts almost every time 1st kick, in gear.. I think whatever your doing is the ticket on that bike.. No reply needed. Seriously, that is as good as it gets. Consider yourself lucky as a 4t is nearly impossible to start in gear, so your already 3 bike lenghts in front of ANYONE on a 4t. Even when my crf450 DOES start on the first kick, im still behind the guys that can start a bike in gear.

Jason Raines has a great vid on "Offroad VIking" website about just this..

:smirk:

keep clutch pulled in when waiting to start.

if need to put goggles on or adjust yourself, have someone hold clutch in..

keep in gear of choice 2nd on the 4t

if your left leg is up on a block or log, make it one motion, when kicking bike over you will be pushing off with the left and releaing the clutch...sitting up on the seat to help w/ keeping front end down....

just watched Nathan Woods video and this is what he showed.

In my opinion, 1st gear is too low of a gear for race starts no matter what the surface.

I get in 2nd or 3rd depending on the surface.

Warm your bike up right until you have to shut it off. In gear, kickstarter out with the foot on it (at top dead), hands on head. As soon as the flag goes up I reach for the clutch (make sure it is pulled all the way in). As soon as it fires I take off usually put the kickstarter in past halfway down the straight or even after the first corner.

Usually that will get me the holeshot, once or twice I have had to kick twice because I haven't pulled the clutch in all the way. Even then usually ending up within the top 5 into the corner.

I can rip a holeshot over everyone else in my class nearly every time when it comes to live engine starts, but I just cant seem to get this down.

Since you can do this and you're riding a 2-stroke, all you need is a little practice with the dead engine procedure. Pretty much what you need to do has been highlighted already. Make sure the bike is at TDC. Use the same gear as you do with live engine starts (I use 2nd with my 250 smoker). With the clutch, I don't stress about keeping it in like others, as long as your engine is good and warm so the oil in the tranny is warm. That's the key. Cold oil and clutch plates don't like to slide easy. I like at least 1/4 throttle and twist it open as I'm kicking the bike. Once you feel the engine start to catch, start feeding in the clutch the same as you would on live engine start. The next time you ride, practice them a bit, should get it down after 5-6 attempts.

Consider yourself lucky as a 4t is nearly impossible to start in gear, so your already 3 bike lenghts in front of ANYONE on a 4t.

That's BS. All 3 of my 4-Strokes started in second gear, consistently ( 2006

YZ450F, 2008 RM-Z450, and 2009 KX450F).

I think 2-Strokes will always get off the line a little faster even when both 4

and 2 stroke bikes get off the line in gear with one kick.... but then again, my

buddy just ripped a holeshot in Nevada on the Expert/Pro line on his clapped-

out 2007 CRF450.

That's BS. All 3 of my 4-Strokes started in second gear, consistently ( 2006

YZ450F, 2008 RM-Z450, and 2009 KX450F).

I think 2-Strokes will always get off the line a little faster even when both 4

and 2 stroke bikes get off the line in gear with one kick.... but then again, my

buddy just ripped a holeshot in Nevada on the Expert/Pro line on his clapped-

out 2007 CRF450.

I agree, if you get em properly warmed up and you know what the bike likes, at worst, the thumper needs a 1/4-1/2 second more to spool up before you can feed out the clutch. Most guys are slower than that to react to the starter with the flag.

Practice.

I have always been pretty decent at dead engine starts (a YZ 250 helps), but it wasn't until recently that I started to consistantly get out front. The biggest reason (I think) is the practice. I am not one to tweak the air screw or change my jetting for each race, but what I do is get out there and see what the conditions are doing to my bike. TDC is key, then I usually start at 1/2 throttle and 1/4 clutch, in 2nd gear, and adjust from there based on how my bike is firing.

Another thing is a stand. In the desert, we can take stands to the line. It helps keep your balance more upright. I tend to actually "push off" the stand as my right foot is finding the peg.

I think I've posted this before, but here is a desert race dead engine start. The guy on the left is a great rider and he taught me quite a bit on what to do.

I know what I am doing, I swear, but this video won't prove it. I had just finished a 1 hour scramble and ran back to the line to race another class. A little tired I think, no stand and I rested my foot on the frame of my bike and thought it was the kickstarter. I am 3rd in from the left, between Justin ImHof and Kendall Norman.

Just to prove you can't teach your kids anything, this is a little video of my kid this year trying his first dead engine start in gear. He hated me for hours after that. (trivia: can you name the guy in the white shirt that touches his fender right before it starts? His son was on the CR 85 that jumped right out)

Practice.

I have always been pretty decent at dead engine starts (a YZ 250 helps), but it wasn't until recently that I started to consistantly get out front. The biggest reason (I think) is the practice. I am not one to tweak the air screw or change my jetting for each race, but what I do is get out there and see what the conditions are doing to my bike. TDC is key, then I usually start at 1/2 throttle and 1/4 clutch, in 2nd gear, and adjust from there based on how my bike is firing.

Another thing is a stand. In the desert, we can take stands to the line. It helps keep your balance more upright. I tend to actually "push off" the stand as my right foot is finding the peg.

I think I've posted this before, but here is a desert race dead engine start. The guy on the left is a great rider and he taught me quite a bit on what to do.

I know what I am doing, I swear, but this video won't prove it. I had just finished a 1 hour scramble and ran back to the line to race another class. A little tired I think, no stand and I rested my foot on the frame of my bike and thought it was the kickstarter. I am 3rd in from the left, between Justin ImHof and Kendall Norman.

Just to prove you can't teach your kids anything, this is a little video of my kid this year trying his first dead engine start in gear. He hated me for hours after that. (trivia: can you name the guy in the white shirt that touches his fender right before it starts? His son was on the CR 85 that jumped right out)

Thanks for the info. I've never done a bomb start like that before, usually we're all lined up bar to bar in a sand wash, so I don think they'd let me use a stand. That guy on the left is crazy. And I'm lost on the trivia.

The guy in the white shirt was Johnny Campbell. His kid was on the CR 85 that shot right off when they waved the flag.

Practice, practice, practice. Not sure about your area, but the bomb runs out here are the only part of the course we get to see. Generally we do 5 row starts (experts, ammies, novice, beginner, quad), so you are lined up next to 100 of your closest friends all aiming for the same spot 3 miles away. It is the only place where you can pass 20 people at once, or get passed by 20 if you screw up.

Since you are good at live engine starts and it sounds like your bike dead-engine starts fine I think it probably comes down to body position and traction.

With a live engine start you probably have your weight forward and feet back which gives you less weight on the rear and less traction which results in more wheel spin and less looping out. On a dead engine start your weight is back to give room to kick and your feet are coming straight to the pegs. This puts more weight on the back and more traction and more chance of looping out.

So as already stated: practice practice practice. You probably need a bit more clutch control on the dead engine start to help keep the front end down, you can't just dump it and go as the rear is going to be hooking up due to your body position. Of course this varies with soil conditions as well.

The guy in the white shirt was Johnny Campbell. His kid was on the CR 85 that shot right off when they waved the flag.

Practice, practice, practice. Not sure about your area, but the bomb runs out here are the only part of the course we get to see. Generally we do 5 row starts (experts, ammies, novice, beginner, quad), so you are lined up next to 100 of your closest friends all aiming for the same spot 3 miles away. It is the only place where you can pass 20 people at once, or get passed by 20 if you screw up.

This is my first season desert racing so the bomb was new to me. I ride a 11 300xc and everytime I tried to kick it in gear I would end up 10 kicking the bike (I have a rekluse in it, don't know if it makes a difference) and would have to hold it open longer then I wanted to to get everyone back. So I figured I would just e-start it and while a few people would get about 10-15' on me, I would usually pass them real quick.......not a big deal on the novice line but I know it will be an issue once I get my yellow bar. Any tips?

not a big deal on the novice line but I know it will be an issue once I get my yellow bar. Any tips?

Yeah, stay novice forever. I think that was the last time I felt fast.

Have you practiced? I also have a Rekluse, but have no problem starting in gear. I did have to fiddle around with where to have the clutch and throttle for the best time off the line.

I don't ride a pumpkin or have an E start, but a couple things for you to maybe try. Use the E start to "assist" the kick starter. Also, what I have seen Kamo do is to press the E start button and hold down the kill switch at the same time, an when the banner drops, lift the kill switch and go. Within a few seconds, we know when the banner is going to drop.

Yeah, stay novice forever. I think that was the last time I felt fast.

Have you practiced? I also have a Rekluse, but have no problem starting in gear. I did have to fiddle around with where to have the clutch and throttle for the best time off the line.

I don't ride a pumpkin or have an E start, but a couple things for you to maybe try. Use the E start to "assist" the kick starter. Also, what I have seen Kamo do is to press the E start button and hold down the kill switch at the same time, an when the banner drops, lift the kill switch and go. Within a few seconds, we know when the banner is going to drop.

Yeah I'm gonna try the estart assist thing. Also I notice a lot of guys use crates to prop themselves up so they are not standing on the ground...I just assumed this was kind of a handicap, but then I realized I would maybe rather do that then eat my way through the dust for 20 miles. As for staying a Novice.....granted I am not in a huge rush to move up but I wouldn't mind riding on a less whooped course that still has the majority of the course markings in tact :smirk:. And plus the Novice class is such a mixture of riders from true novices, to USDR ammies, or in the shorter races like VCMC, a lot of moto guys come outta the woodwork. I just want the piece of mind knowing that I'm going to get smoked every weekend as apposed to not knowing if I'm gonna win my class or get 10th :lol:...Maybe if all races were 80 rock filled miles I would do good all the time :prof:....As for the new intermediate forum riders that are now doing D37 stuff......potential UMC prospects?:smirk:

I've just done one gp with a dead engine start(stand behind hold the fender, bike in 2nd), which I did practice here at home. BUT on the line I didn't realize how much I listen to my engine--I couldn't hear it with everyone starting and I went blank for a few seconds and had to reboot my head and tell my hands what to do. I know that sounds weird and stupid, but not being able to hear my engine threw me for a (little)loop. It sounds obvious DUH I know, and NOW I know, but there ya go.

Yup that was my exact same thought at my first hare and hound this winter. Figured I wouldn't be able to hear it because of everybody next to me but I thought I would be able to at least feel it but couldn't.....dam 4 strokes!:smirk: