Help with Showa floating piston

Hope someone can help, I am working on a set of forks off a '03 CRF450R, seals were blown. When I disassembled them I found that the inner chambers had very little oil in them, mostly air. The forks had been revalved about a year ago so I thought they possibly did not bleed the inner cartridge correctly, or possibly a bad shaft seal. Anyways after refilling inner cartridge and bleeding I stuck the base valve in and pumped out excess oil, however the oil never stops coming out the bleed holes, I can pump the chamber dry. I assume the seal and o-ring on the floating piston are bad, sound right? And if so where can I get these? Honda sells the oring but not the seal and I also tried Suspension Direct, no luck. Maybe I should just try replacing the o-ring first. Any replied are appreciated!

You would be correct. The o ring seems to be bad allowing the oil to flow around the seal and back into the overflow area.

It's usually the ICS seal that's bad not the o-ring. You can get them from mx-tech or anyone else that carries showa parts. Isn't suspenion direct a kyb dealer? Could be why they don't carry them.

http://mx-tech.com/?id=products&subcat=4

Thanks for the replies! Looks like mx-tech has what I need

If oil is flowing out of the bleed holes it sounds as if the o-ring of the floating piston is broken. That would make oil passing by.

A broken oilseal of the floating piston makes the piston rod to be sucked in and it wouldn't let that much oil passing the seal.

And since changing the o-ring is way easier than changing the oilseal (which can be a pita) i'd start with this.

If oil is flowing out of the bleed holes it sounds as if the o-ring of the floating piston is broken. That would make oil passing by.

A broken oilseal of the floating piston makes the piston rod to be sucked in and it wouldn't let that much oil passing the seal.

I've had the exact opposite just happen where oil would just push past the oil seal without issue.

And since changing the o-ring is way easier than changing the oilseal (which can be a pita) i'd start with this.

Unless he does another order and has to pay $12 in shipping again :thumbsup:

I'd probably try and go to the hardware store and find the correct o-ring to check and maybe you'll get lucky with a solution.