Sign in to follow this  

Any wisdom to bestow upon a complete offroad newb?

So I am a young guy(19). But I race vintage motocross on a '74 Triumph 500. I ride vintage trials on a '74 Honda TL. I am going to enter my first cross country/harescramble race. I have never raced offroad, but I am pretty confident about doing it. Just wondered if any of you veterans had any wisdom to bestow upon me.

Alex #450

bikepics-2199781-full.jpg

If it is tight trails, keep your feet up. Catching a boot on a tree-root or stump really hurts at speed. Don't trust berms as much as you would on a MX track either.

I have never raced on a MX track, but this is advice/differences from a friend of mine who has.

read some of the threads that are already in this section,log crossings,rocks,hill stuff,they will all be of help to you

If it is tight trails, keep your feet up. Catching a boot on a tree-root or stump really hurts at speed. Don't trust berms as much as you would on a MX track either.

I have never raced on a MX track, but this is advice/differences from a friend of mine who has.

No joke about keeping your feet up on the tight stuff! Several months ago I had my left foot hanging down and my toes got smashed between my peg and a stump:eek: breaking 2 of them, man that hurt!

No joke about keeping your feet up on the tight stuff! Several months ago I had my left foot hanging down and my toes got smashed between my peg and a stump:eek: breaking 2 of them, man that hurt!

See, that is something I would do, I tend to shove off of stuff when I am in really tight stuff.

Complete noobs dont ride Trials and MX! ;-) You will be fine!

I just have to figure out how to both at the same time :smirk:

Its a marathon and a sprint, unfortunately. Don't over do it on the first lap or the first corner.

Its a marathon and a sprint, unfortunately. Don't over do it on the first lap or the first corner.

That is good advice. I am used to racing 5 lap motocross motos.

I've crashed in the first turn, crashed out on the first lap, gotten too tired too soon, etc you name it. Its a learning experience, the advice my friend gave me when I started was just not to over do it. I had to do my experimenting of course but he was generally right. If your going to be in the beginner class or one of the C classes, another important tip is they are just as hazardous to you as the trail and its obstacles. There will be guys that are too fast for the class and guys that you think shouldn't be on a bike. This applies to both, slower riders may cause you to crash because they crash, take your line, etc. Faster riders may be too aggressive and cause you to crash.

Just go out and ride a comfortable yet brisk trail pace. That is until you figure out how the format works, where you stand, what you need to improve on, etc. It is definitely more fitness oriented than you would think initially. Most importantly just try to finish, it took me a while before I got that one down.

Ride your pace, its a long race. Its easy to burn out in the first lap.

Burn this into memory, write a message on your cross bar on duct tape.. whatever. You are gonna have your "MX mentality" of "GOGOGO" take over at the start. You have to conciously think to "pace yourself", relax your grip on the bars when you can, find a spot where you can back of 5% to drink from your camelback, etc. Go FAST in the FAST sections.. Can make up more time pushing in fast stuff than riding over your head in the tight shit.

Best advice I ever got at a hare scramble was "try to be faster on your last lap than you were on your first or second lap".

I gained three positions on that last lap :smirk:

Thanks for the wisdom everybody.

This is a vintage cross country, but that doesn't stop it from being extremely competitive. I have to run the B class because I am a B class motocross racer. Should be interesting. I definitely plan on finishing! Then riding the trials competition after :smirk: :smirk:

You need to come chase me down some singletrack. ;-) We are probably going tomorrow if weather is not too crazy. Welcome to join us if ya can sneak away for the day!

You need to come chase me down some singletrack. ;-) We are probably going tomorrow if weather is not too crazy. Welcome to join us if ya can sneak away for the day!

Would love to, but I am rafting. Only thing I can ride out in BLM is my trials. Definitely soon though. Racing this weekend. I will hit you up after. Have fun!

Alex

Mx races are won by guys that are good at maintaining high speed momentum a good offroad race is won by guys who can maintain good low speed momentum, particularly at the amature level. By far the biggest difference will be the shear amount of decisions you make. Do I wait for the good line others are having difficulty with, or do I take the high risk line I may have difficulty with, do I charge here or aim to ride mistake free, will it be faster to take the straight line over the log next time round, and on and on for much longer than an mx race.

While an mx track changes alittle during a race (ruts, lines etc) the typical H/S or cross-country is always fresh terrain for most of us dimwitted types, but if you do have an issue on a section, while your extricating yourself, try to look for lines, routes, setups that will help next time around. Odds are you'll still screw it up (I cant remember 2 mins ago let alone 1/2 hr) but you may save yourself alot of time and energy.

Good Luck and have fun!

Mx races are won by guys that are good at maintaining high speed momentum a good offroad race is won by guys who can maintain good low speed momentum, particularly at the amature level. By far the biggest difference will be the shear amount of decisions you make. Do I wait for the good line others are having difficulty with, or do I take the high risk line I may have difficulty with, do I charge here or aim to ride mistake free, will it be faster to take the straight line over the log next time round, and on and on for much longer than an mx race.

While an mx track changes alittle during a race (ruts, lines etc) the typical H/S or cross-country is always fresh terrain for most of us dimwitted types, but if you do have an issue on a section, while your extricating yourself, try to look for lines, routes, setups that will help next time around. Odds are you'll still screw it up (I cant remember 2 mins ago let alone 1/2 hr) but you may save yourself alot of time and energy.

Good Luck and have fun!

Thanks a lot. This was great advice! :smirk: