Another Shavings in Oil Filter Thread...

I know, I know, its been talked about earlier, but it seems as though everyone else's problem is a little more severe then mine is right now. I did a oil/filter change yesterday, and just faintly noticed some very small gold shavings on my filter. Wasn't alot of them, and there were no other shavings i could find in the filter housing, or visibly see in the old oil itself. Bike has got 43hrs on a new top end, and since i bought it used i have no idea how much time is on the crank. The bike still runs fine, not making any unusual noises, no loss of power, and still starts around every 1st kick. I do change my oil every 6-7 hrs, but this is the first time ive noticed this, and im scared!!! im in college right now and frankly cant afford to re-do the motor!! Any insight??? Thanks!!

Don't rided the bike until you replace the crank. The shavings in your oil filter is your warning of impending doom. Change your oil more often and the odds are you get your warning earlier.

this is were it ended up for us,lucky it didnt destroy anything major but let me tell ya that shit gets in every place you can imagine clean it over and over..

IMG_0253.jpg

thats wild! mines not like that, but i took the magnet to the filter and it didnt pick anything up, indicating that they are brass. so would that mean new crank??

this is were it ended up for us,lucky it didnt destroy anything major but let me tell ya that shit gets in every place you can imagine clean it over and over..

IMG_0253.jpg

Holy fn crap. So you can go that far without blowing it up? Was that the stock crank?

Holy fn crap. So you can go that far without blowing it up? Was that the stock crank?

I wouldn't like to try...

That's two twists of the loud handle from going BANG!! in a fairly spectacular, painful and expensive fashion!! ?

If you see any particles in your filter area it's already too late, as there will be at least 5 to 6 times that number already stuck in the OPRV. ?

yup time for a full rebuild. your lucky you caught it before it detonated. check out my crank, was riding and it backfired on a straight and started ticking like a time bomb. rod bearing straight blew up! destroyed my cases too, but i was lucky i didn't get a piston through my head

MVC-092S.jpg

yup time for a full rebuild. your lucky you caught it before it detonated. check out my crank, was riding and it backfired on a straight and started ticking like a time bomb. rod bearing straight blew up! destroyed my cases too, but i was lucky i didn't get a piston through my head

MVC-092S.jpg

yikes! yeah looks like i caught mine just in the early stage because there wasn't much shavings, but there was enough to notice. But my question is, seeing as the shavings i'm getting are brass, where are the brass parts located in the bottom end? I've been reading its a tell tale sign of a crank problem, but what specifically on the crank??

what year bikes are u guys having these problems on? i have an 05 and im the first owner and the crank is original but change the oil every three rides every time. should i be worried??? this thread is scaring the hell outta me

what year bikes are u guys having these problems on? i have an 05 and im the first owner and the crank is original but change the oil every three rides every time. should i be worried??? this thread is scaring the hell outta me

Mines an 05' too, but I'm the second owner so i cant be sure how much time buddy before me put on it, and how he rode it. I know i've put 50hrs. on it, mostly casually riding but raced mx maybe 8 times or so. I've been changing my oil normally about every 5 hours too. Not too sure why this is happening to me now tho ? By what people are saying though even 5hrs of riding on oil is a bit too much, so when i get this all fixed i will be sure to do it more often.

yikes! yeah looks like i caught mine just in the early stage because there wasn't much shavings, but there was enough to notice. But my question is, seeing as the shavings i'm getting are brass, where are the brass parts located in the bottom end? I've been reading its a tell tale sign of a crank problem, but what specifically on the crank??

thrust washers.

Yes it was scaring me too. I dont think you have a lot to worry about as long as you pay attention to the oil, and do the occasional piston replacement where you can check to see what kind of shape the crank is. As many have said, by the time you see metal shavings it is getting a little late.

i know changing your oil much earlier is common and smart practice BUT did you guys ever notice that the honda factory book actually suggest changing your oil every 10-15 hours.

although it also suggests changing your rings at the same interval

this is quoted from a factory honda OEM manual for an 06 CRF 250R

I find this laughable really

i know changing your oil much earlier is common and smart practice BUT did you guys ever notice that the honda factory book actually suggest changing your oil every 10-15 hours.

although it also suggests changing your rings at the same interval

this is quoted from a factory honda OEM manual for an 06 CRF 250R

I find this laughable really

Yes my 09 manual says to replace the piston and the oil at 15 hours. Maybe that is a typo, but 15 hours on a quart of oil is quite a long time.

Yes my 09 manual says to replace the piston and the oil at 15 hours. Maybe that is a typo, but 15 hours on a quart of oil is quite a long time.

yea especially if youre racing. I tend to more or less watch the tone of the oil and of course time. I never go over 8-10 hours. I find on an MX track 5-6 is tops and its starting to get darker, on the trails depending on how long and hard im going i can ride ten and the oil is as dark as one track day

• 7 months later...

My '05 has just started making metal :bonk:? I "health check" the filter almost everytime I ride (without dropping the oil), just to check that there is nothing about to flare up on me unexpectedly.

And the other day, I had some small metallic flakes show up... :D?

Engine is out and torn down as of last night and I'm back on the threads trolling for advice and info. I have already found a couple and all I can say is:

"THANK YOU THUMPERTALK & ALL IT'S KNOWLEDGEABLE MEMBERS THAT CONTRIBUTE!!!" ?:bonk::banana:

:busted::awww:

My '05 has just started making metal :bonk:? I "health check" the filter almost everytime I ride (without dropping the oil), just to check that there is nothing about to flare up on me unexpectedly.

And the other day, I had some small metallic flakes show up... :D?

Engine is out and torn down as of last night and I'm back on the threads trolling for advice and info. I have already found a couple and all I can say is:

"THANK YOU THUMPERTALK & ALL IT'S KNOWLEDGEABLE MEMBERS THAT CONTRIBUTE!!!" ?:bonk::banana:

:busted::awww:

+ 1 on the TT help.

I reckon I'd be looking at a new engine by now if it wasn't for the "look out for the gold flakes" threads.