Sign in to follow this  

whats better for hardcore mx racing castor or synthetic oil?

hi, whats better for hardcore mx racing castor or synthetic oil? which would offer better protection for the engine as i will be racing a 2011/2012 sx250 in the open A class and i don't mined cleaning the power valves out,

The modern synthetics are too good today. I would not recommend using castor based oil in a watercooled bike with all of today's moving mechanisms in the cylinder. The carbon residue will damaged your engine and make a mess. If you feel you need to run the castor in your oil, mix a little in with a compatible synthetic oil. The modern synthetic oil could clean up some of the carbon residue as you run the bike.

I ran castor based oil in the 1970's and early 1980's and it made a mess. I had stuck piston rings on my early water cooled Suzuki so I switched to Suzuki CCI regular based oil at the time. Today I run synthetics in a my vintage Bultacos. The cylinders are perfectly clean upon tear down. Good Luck

Your opening the oil can of worms;) If you got the coin go with the full synthetic oil.

I just picked up 4 more gallons of Dumonde Tech, it works well for me,, it is a blend.

Joe........

z1gallonlr.jpg

maxima castor 927.

I didn't have much luck with the 927, very gummy.

I didn't have much luck with the 927, very gummy.

I use the maxima 927 in my son's kx 85 at 32:1 with no problems. I heard the AMSOIL Dominator is also good.

IMO, atleast 32:1 with a good oil made for sustained Hi PRM use and loading.

T\hen, jet it crisp, a well jetted bike will stay clean, 2 stroke last longer when clean on the inside, extra carbon is like adding fine sand to your mixture....

Castor oil is very very good, some blends of oil may not be the best with pump fuels anymore (check to be sure) ...

Many good brands out there..

Your opening the oil can of worms;) If you got the coin go with the full synthetic oil.

I just picked up 4 more gallons of Dumonde Tech, it works well for me,, it is a blend.

Joe........

z1gallonlr.jpg

I personally run Bel-Ray H1R, but I know a few knowedgeable folks who swear by this Dumonde stuff and run it in their modern and vintage 2-strokes.

Castor's used to always be a bit susceptible to low temperatures, not sure if that's as big of an issue these days.

Joe........

z1gallonlr.jpg

You got the cheap Dumonde Tech LOL, good stuff though!! i use the DTP in my bikes, but to the OP thats a pretty broad question as not all Synthetic oils are created equal, personally unless I was racing a 65 or maybe an 80 (super high reving mortor) I would not use castor oil in anything!! to damn dirty!! there are a lot of great oils out ther blend 100% syn etc.

Mike