Sign in to follow this  

2001 KX125 Head Gasket missing

Hello,

Looks like first head job from the factory, found out NO head gasket...? I see some thin silicon around it. The Kit came with gasket, should i use it or use silicon again?

Also i'm fixing the water pump seal, getting water on the tranny oil.

Thanks,

XR

Certainly use a gasket. Are yousure there werent O rings in the head, or does the 01 actually take a gasket?

Well, not sure if 01 actually use a gasket, i have NO manual? i was hopping someone with 01 will contribute. Also NO O ring, only thing i notice is a light silicone sealant around it. Worried it will lower the compression if use a gasket.

XR

I would check kawasaki OEM parts microfische of your bike, and see what they list for the top end between the head and cylinder, then look the number up on the list. I know my 05 uses o-rings, im pretty sure the older ones were a gasket though. I would run a gasket if kawasaki calls for it, and if you are raising the compression with no gasket you are running the risk of detonation because its designed for 91 octane GOOD gas, so with 93 ethanol crap gas your already pushing the limit, and B, You would probably be sucking coolant into the cylinder with no gasket. I dont see silicone holding up to that.

dmm698,

thanks for the response, i checked the Kawasaki website and they do call for head gasket in the diagram. I have the kit already so i'm using the gasket this time. Although i need parts for my water pump seals and right side gasket. I do not want to spend and buy the KIT i just want the individual parts, which store do you recommend? :thumbsup:

Thanks,

XR

I'm not sure if you can buy cometic gaskets seperately, so your best bet would just be OEM. They are typically a better gasket anyways. Any local kawi store will be about he same price as any online store really. I typically use motosport as they are very cheap, they sell OEM stuff now as well. The only down side is if your only buying two gaskets your not going to break the 100 dollar free shipping gimmick, and the two bucks you'll save on a gasket wont make up for the 8 dollars in shipping. Would just call the local dealer and get a price, then check motosport OEM for it, and bikebandit. com is usually pretty good too.

I’m using the Cometic gasket kit now. Still waiting for the right side gasket and the two oil seals on the water pump arriving Friday. My 14 year old boy will be happy again getting ready for poker run.

XR

This is a big mystery to me, when I bought the bike for $800:banana:, I made the best effort the engine is not molested. For that I checked the nuts and bolts for nick marks for sign it has been opened several times. But this bike does not have nick marks specially the head, everything is pretty much stock form and how the Clear Silicon held up is another thing?

XR

if your replacing the seals i would replace bearings to just incase, when i did mine on my rm85 i replaced the impellor, bearings, and seals

I would check kawasaki OEM parts microfische of your bike, and see what they list for the top end between the head and cylinder, then look the number up on the list. I know my 05 uses o-rings, im pretty sure the older ones were a gasket though. I would run a gasket if kawasaki calls for it, and if you are raising the compression with no gasket you are running the risk of detonation because its designed for 91 octane GOOD gas, so with 93 ethanol crap gas your already pushing the limit, and B, You would probably be sucking coolant into the cylinder with no gasket. I dont see silicone holding up to that.

91 octane is 91 octane, whether it contains ethanol or not, and does not contibute to detonation. pure ethanol actually has a much higher octane rating than straight gas, so adding ethanol to regular gas would actually inscrease its octane rating and reduce detonation. the manufacturers adjust the blends to maintain the octane rating when they incorporate ethonal. please stop spreading false information.

Hello,

I just wanted to give an update.

Completed all work to replaced Water Pump Seals, clutch and New piston and ring. Also checked the reed while providing good access during the tear down, look brandnew. Previously the compression measured 135 psi without the head gasket and with the new piston and ring it and new gasket it only measured 120 psi. I think this is due to the additional height from the head gasket. Other side effect to lower compression is lost some bottom end torque. I’m still in the process of adjust the jetting again due to this effect, the top end power is strong never foul a plug. Although its still reacting from leaning the air crew, its still in stock 50 pilot. I might go down to 40 or 45.

Son is happy again, I just need little tweak to improve bottom end for trial riding. Thaks everyone :smirk:

Main: 370

Pilot: 50 (will be changed to 45 or 40)

Slide: Stock

Needle: Stock

Clip: 4

Gas Mix: 32:1

Pre Mix: Motul 600

Elevation: 500 ft

91 octane is 91 octane, whether it contains ethanol or not, and does not contibute to detonation. pure ethanol actually has a much higher octane rating than straight gas, so adding ethanol to regular gas would actually inscrease its octane rating and reduce detonation. the manufacturers adjust the blends to maintain the octane rating when they incorporate ethonal. please stop spreading false information.

What you are saying is correct, But the ethanol adds to a poor fuel air situation. I'm not spreading false information here. What i'm saying is that factory mechanics who worked two strokes back in the late 90's early 2000's were scratching their heads. 40 dollar plug bike calls for, new Crank, head, cylinder, stator, flywheel, main bearings, main seals, coil, ECU, there was nothing left except the cases that was not replaced. 93 pump with a 178 main, needle in second clip, 42.5 pilot. If I still had the bike I would gladly turn it over to so you can make it run since you clearly say fuel was not an issue, and give you whatever you wanted if you could make it last more then 20 minutes. Squish was checked, this wasnt a half arse job. Bike did it 3 times before I gave up, so it wasnt bad gas from one pump. The one time it ran for more then 20 minutes was the one time I ran 110 leaded in it.