Sign in to follow this  

V-force Vs Rad Valve

Below is my experience of the differences I discovered between the V-force & Rad -Valve reed Assemblies on my 02 CR250. I compared these items on a track that I ride frequently, so I know all of my shift points,braking points and areas where I have to feather the clutch.

Background

From the beginning my stock reeds were worn out & my top end. I went with the V -force reed replacement during my top end rebuild. I had the cylinder completely rebuilt by Forward Motion along with the porting job to increase power across the curve.With that being said I cant compare these reed assemblies to stock.

V-Force

With the V-Force. I still had a softer low end, the soft low end was vastly improved than stock, but at this time I didn't know to credit it to the Eric Goor porting or the V-Force. The mid range and top end were strong.

The stock case reed motor does have a great top end, the top don't really fall flat.

After about 35 to 40 hrs of running my new motor with the V-Force, I picked up this freak condition where my bike would accelerate hard on its own for about 2 to 3 seconds. This would only happen when landing from jumps. :confused: Anyways after inspecting many other things, I noticed a decent section of my top left reed pedal was cracked off. Additionally the the other reed pedal was delaminating. So I replaced the V-Force with the Rad Valve.

Results.

Rad Valve

Today with the Rad valve. I'm happy to say that not only is the freak acceleration gone the bike has a significant improvement of low end and off idle response. Additionally there was more mid and top!!. I was totally blown away.:thumbsup:

In the past on this track there were times when I would shift into 4th and clutch it, now when I did the same it pulled so hard, I thought maybe I didn't catch 4th gear when shifting, as it turns out I did catch the gear. I started carrying a higher gear around several portions of the track. I also am not having to clutch the bike as much. Now I hope that the rad valve reed pedals hold up for a long time.

This was my experience, I don't know if someone else may have the same experience due to all sorts of different variables, but with the power gains I thought I should share.

Edited by cr250mx

between the vforce and rad valve did you have to jet the bike differently becasue i wanna switch the to rad valve as well but ive heard you have to be a jetting wizard to make the rad valve work properly

the rad valve an boyusen arnt comparible really.both have there positives as i am sure both have there fallbacks. i have both but i am curently running with the v-force.

No i didn't have to jet the bike. I also am running the air striker carb. Jetting was fine with both types of reed systems. i do have to say that the 02 cr is a finicky bike to keep jetted. the air striker just makes it less finicky.

i have an 05 cr250 with the stock mikuni and really dont want to have to swap carbs becsaue i like the way mines set up, but i am very tempted to buy a rad valve to try it.

between the vforce and rad valve did you have to jet the bike differently becasue i wanna switch the to rad valve as well but ive heard you have to be a jetting wizard to make the rad valve work properly

I think if you own an 02 or newer you end up being a jetting wizard.

On a CR125 the VForce needs to have the intake manifold modified for it to work. That makes a big difference on low end performance. The Boyesen Rad Valve comes with the intake already flowed for their reed. IMO it is really not fair to compare unless they both have the intakes set up properly.

Kind of a meaningless post when you don't include what bike you have...

Is your bike a 125 or 250?

i would say his bike is a 250 considering his username is cr250mx

• Like 1

Is your bike a 125 or 250?

Good point :bonk:My apologizes. It’s a 250.