Sign in to follow this  

CRF450x Surging problem?

Hi All,

I have stepped up from a CRF230 to CRF450x. Its the first time I have ridden the bike and I'm not sure if I have a problem. Its a CRF450x 2010 model.

When I try and start the bike using the electric start in first gear with the clutch engaged the bike tries to surge forward like the clutch isnt pulled..

I have noticed that If I start the bike in netural and put the bike in gear the clutch holds the bike no problems and It doesnt want to move.

I have tried adjusting the free play in clutch cable but haven't found a fix?

Any ideas?

Thanks

F3rg

They just don't like starting in gear, it's better to get used to snipping it into neutral before attempting to restart it IMO

(or fit a rekluse!!! because then its no problem at all)

The X clutch, when cold, will drag a lot.

When hot, will drag a little.

Not recommended to start in gear on a regular basis. The starter motor, starter motor clutch, and clutch reduction gear do wear out faster if you start in gear all the time.

+1 on clutch drag. The oil in the trans can make it better or not. Thicker oil will cause more drag when cold. I have a Kawa that if it sits for a couple of weeks with dino oil in it the clutch plates a stuck together so much it will stall or try to take off when its put in gear. Not so much since I went to AMSOIL.

I have tried adjusting the free play in clutch cable but haven't found a fix?

Any ideas?

Thanks

F3rg

As others have written, there is no "fix"; rather it is a the nature of the machine. Most bikes are the same in this regard.

Put the bike in neutral, pull in the clutch lever (or leave it out as it is the same either way when in neutral), and push the bike forward/backward...around your driveway.

Put the bike in 1st,pull in the clutch lever, and push the bike forward/backward...around your driveway.

Which is easier? The starting system is up against the same resistance when in gear, and clutch "disengaged'.

Only time I can usually get lucky ans start the bike when not in neutral is if I am still rolling.

thanks everyone for help putting me at ease..

I thought I must of got a lemon..Now i know this is common trait i'm much happier. thanks guys