dad thinks i need a neck brace...

me and dad just started building a jump i said that i want to be able to get about a meter or so high in the air, so it's a very small jump! then dad said i'm not allowed to jump it if i don't buy a neck brace! I think this is a load of bull, but he insists. What is your opinion? (by the way my dad wanted me to put this up):thumbsup:

Your Dad is just thinking about your safety. Be glad that you have a Dad that cares enough to help you build a jump and think about your safety as well.

Good luck with it all and have fun.

Your Dad is right. My daughter will not ride without one.

courtACE08crop.jpg

Your father is doing what he thinks is right. But there are mixed opinions about neckbraces so it doesn't mean he is right. I wear a nb but after reading about it I'm not sure it is safer. Maybe search for some more info for him to read so he can decide if he thinks it is safer.

come on im only gettin about 1 meter high

come on im only gettin about 1 meter high

If you are like me at your age, a meter quickly became 2 then you'll be doing 40' doubles then a bit later you'll be doing 100' triples...:confused:

Of course, i think it all depends on the riding involved and environment...On a track, brace for sure even though you are jumping 1m and rolling the other jumps...In your backyard, is the neckbrace really necessary? Maybe not, but then again, i am not there to see and judge for myself.

Keep in mind though, that your dad is looking out for you and even though you think he may be a pain in the you know what, you are riding my friend with your dad getting involved, and that is pretty darn cool! :thumbsup:

BTW, nice pic DVN! :worthy:

Look at the Omega neck brace. I think bto has it for sell for 199.

Doesn't have that hard plastic part that doesn't go over the spine.

After using one, and being in some accidents that involved hard impacts around the head/neck region, I honestly believe that it saved me from some possible neck injuries.

Do yourself a favor and go buy one. And apologize to your dad.

I wont let my son ride without one and I also where one. It wouldn't take much to go down the wrong way and snap your neck. In my opinion, you cant have enough protection. Some say the braces can brake your collar bone, but that is better then a broken neck. You get use to wearing them quickly and before you know it, it is as natural as puttting on your boots bfore riding. Your dad sounds like a good guy that is involved with you and wants you to have fun, but stay safe. You will be a father one day. Good luck.:thumbsup:

C'mom kid. He's concerned about his most valuable possesion he'll ever have in this life. His Son!!!

Be thankful that your dad is willing to support you. Also, beat this mantra into your brain:

ATGATT: All the gear, all the time.

Be thankful that your dad is willing to support you. Also, beat this mantra into your brain:

ATGATT: All the gear, all the time.

I couldn't agree more. I was taught ATGATT growing up and I can't tell you how many times gear saved me on the dirt and pavement.

Your dad is just looking out for your safety. I'm glad my dad did the same for me growing up.

Get one. Get the EVS. I've tried on the alpinestar and leatt and I feel like a basic neck roll or my EVS neck brace are the most safest you can get.

would you rather jump and wear the brace or not be able to jump at all?it dosent take a large jump or big crash to put you in a wheel chair for the rest of your life,your dad is only looking out for you,if he didnt care he wouldnt be helpingyou build the jump in the first place,get the brace,i wont let my 2 sons ride without all their gear on

As a victim of a hyper-flexion neck injury on the street that could have been prevented by wearing a neck brace I can tell you I will never ride without one again. What happens is your neck bends too far forward and your nerves tear. In my case it was the nerves that operate my arms. Waking up in a hospital bed and not being able to move your arms has got to be about as hopeless feeling as there is. After a year of chiropractic, massage, electroshock, neck traction, and daily exercise I am capable, but not near the strength I was. My recovery is in the near miraculous category. Another guy I saw at rehab with the same injury has had no improvement. My son doesn't question wearing his, since he has seen first hand the effects of not wearing one.

As a victim of a hyper-flexion neck injury on the street that could have been prevented by wearing a neck brace I can tell you I will never ride without one again. What happens is your neck bends too far forward and your nerves tear. In my case it was the nerves that operate my arms. Waking up in a hospital bed and not being able to move your arms has got to be about as hopeless feeling as there is. After a year of chiropractic, massage, electroshock, neck traction, and daily exercise I am capable, but not near the strength I was. My recovery is in the near miraculous category. Another guy I saw at rehab with the same injury has had no improvement. My son doesn't question wearing his, since he has seen first hand the effects of not wearing one.

sorry about your injury but great post:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree with the other post....He is your Dad....When you are old enough and on your own.....Then you can make decisions for yourself........Respect your Dad and get a neck brace.........He is just looking out for your safety..........

You should focus on his letting you ride at all. My parents wouldn't let me ride. So your dad may have some rules you don't like but atleast you are riding. What is your big opposition to a neck brace anyway. I think once you have one you will hardly notice it.

I finally purchased a neck brace after riding for 45 years. I think the evidence supports doing so.

I agree with your dad.

your dads right, i believe in wearing neckbraces and think its something that ever rider should wear, even if you fall but dont necessarily hit your head, it will reduce the range of motion your head will experience during a fall or crash