Sign in to follow this  

kx250 over my rmx

before i start i just want to say that my dad made me put this up.

I have a 97rmx 250 and dont get me wrong it is a great bike. But i want to get a kx250 or a yz250 a 99 or 2000 modle, i want to do this because my knees cramp up after riding my rmx due to the really low seat hight, and i also want something more aggressive and fun to ride. I only ridden enduro 2strokes and a yz100 and a sx85 so i have no experience with either of these bikes. I ride mainly flat track and on single track. So what do you think should i sell my rmx and get a 250 2stroke mxer???

i would sell the rmx and get a 250 mx bike. with little to no mods they can be great single track bikes. i love my 01 kx250 for trails. IMHO the 250 mx bike is the most versatile bike made. it can do a little of everything. now how much are you looking to spend?

I would keep your RMX 250 Very good woods bike, There are things you can do to improve and at a low cost than a new bike, First in order a Tall seat foam for your long legs, 2- wider foot peg, 3- boysen 2-stage reeds or V-force reed cage, 4- FMF-pipe & silencer, 5- RM-250 thinner head gasket, 6- Twin air filter, 7- Rejet carb for pipe - reed - head gasket - air filter, 8- Redo suspension, 9- Maybe a Revloc- or Recluse Auto Clutch, 10- All the Guard protection, Because Most of the things would haft to be done to a MX Bike plus add a fly wheel weight - and a 18- rear wheel- and regear sprockets- and larger fuel tank , The RMX Can be made to run like a RM-250 MX, You got your Cake Now add the Icing !!!!! Good Luck and Blow by those new bikes. Thats what I do on My 95 KDX-200 !!!!

If the RMX is reliable I'd be hard pressed to sell it for another 11-12 years old bike that may not be. Besides, the RMX's were a pretty damn good woods machine. I'd get the tall seat foam and tune it to your liking.

I would keep your RMX 250 Very good woods bike, There are things you can do to improve and at a low cost than a new bike, First in order a Tall seat foam for your long legs, 2- wider foot peg, 3- boysen 2-stage reeds or V-force reed cage, 4- FMF-pipe & silencer, 5- RM-250 thinner head gasket, 6- Twin air filter, 7- Rejet carb for pipe - reed - head gasket - air filter, 8- Redo suspension, 9- Maybe a Revloc- or Recluse Auto Clutch, 10- All the Guard protection, Because Most of the things would haft to be done to a MX Bike plus add a fly wheel weight - and a 18- rear wheel- and regear sprockets- and larger fuel tank , The RMX Can be made to run like a RM-250 MX, You got your Cake Now add the Icing !!!!! Good Luck and Blow by those new bikes. Thats what I do on My 95 KDX-200 !!!!

yeah but a kx250 with the fly wheel weight and 18inch wheel would be cheaper than doin all the mods to my rmx, i can easlily sell my bike and get a kx for only a few hundred more.

i would sell the rmx and get a 250 mx bike. with little to no mods they can be great single track bikes. i love my 01 kx250 for trails. IMHO the 250 mx bike is the most versatile bike made. it can do a little of everything. now how much are you looking to spend?

yeah that is what i was thinking:thumbsup:

If you want to ride trails, get a trail bike. If you want to ride an MX track, get a MX bike. Pretty simple.

Yes sir! some people make it too hard... There is no way I could ride as fast or far in trails on my cr250r as my 200exc....

See all this money you have to spend to make the bike better?

Sell the rmx and buy a 250 mx, or a ktm stroker trails bike.

The money you must spend tomake that rmx real good can be money spent on better gear, gas, and some other things for your 250mx once you sell your rmx :smirk:

That RMX is already faster than you.... All you need is up-dated suspension set up for you and you'll be so surpriseat how much easer it is to ride and how much faster you are...

The money you must spend tomake that rmx real good can be money spent on better gear, gas, and some other things for your 250mx once you sell your rmx :smirk:

yep thats what im doing:D i put it up for sale yesterday:thumbsup: cant wait to sell it.

See all this money you have to spend to make the bike better?

Sell the rmx and buy a 250 mx, or a ktm stroker trails bike.

Yep thats what im doing, i put it up for sale yesterday:D

YOU ARE MAKING A BBBBIG Mistake , You will go through rebuilds Much Faster Only One Ring on Piston on MX-bike , 2-rings on RMX Piston, Randy Harkens Won a lot of Nationals and GNCC on That bike , He has not won since he switch to the Yamie Four Stroke. Like said Most of those Mods You will have to do to a MX bike anyway , Good Luck Anyway.

YOU ARE MAKING A BBBBIG Mistake , You will go through rebuilds Much Faster Only One Ring on Piston on MX-bike , 2-rings on RMX Piston, Randy Harkens Won a lot of Nationals and GNCC on That bike , He has not won since he switch to the Yamie Four Stroke. Like said Most of those Mods You will have to do to a MX bike anyway , Good Luck Anyway.

:smirk::smirk:

hey are you sure about the 1 ring on a mx bike, i know the real old ones did (my dad had a 79 yz 125) but i just googled 'kx 250 piston and rings' and it had two, either way i know that rebuilds will be needed much more often on any mx bike.

That Must be a KDX-250 piston, Only the Woods Bikes uses the 2-ringer , And you can put the 1-ringer in also , The MX bikes also have higher compression , That is the reason you put the thinner RM-Head Gasket to bump up the compression , do a search on Hop ups - or Mods for your Rmx, You get a lot of performance with just the 2-stage reeds - pipe and gasket - and do the jetting , Not to be hard on you, But I Bet You will Spend More Money ON up grades to any MX-bike you get, You got to Unplug that RMX and she will go, If you Lived closer I would Buy your Bike and run circle around you, JUST KIDDING , As long as you keep riding that is all that Matter and have Fun, I POST NO MORE on this, Dixie OUT, Time to go ride.

That Must be a KDX-250 piston, Only the Woods Bikes uses the 2-ringer , And you can put the 1-ringer in also , The MX bikes also have higher compression , That is the reason you put the thinner RM-Head Gasket to bump up the compression , do a search on Hop ups - or Mods for your Rmx, You get a lot of performance with just the 2-stage reeds - pipe and gasket - and do the jetting , Not to be hard on you, But I Bet You will Spend More Money ON up grades to any MX-bike you get, You got to Unplug that RMX and she will go, If you Lived closer I would Buy your Bike and run circle around you, JUST KIDDING , As long as you keep riding that is all that Matter and have Fun, I POST NO MORE on this, Dixie OUT, Time to go ride.

hahaha yeah i have been thinking about what every body is saying and im thinking of keeping my rmx, it just depends on what sort of price people offer me.

Yeah, and the fact that Hawkins was getting older and moving from a racer to a team owner had nothing to do with the fact that he wasn't as fast on a Yamaha thumper as he was on an RMX :smirk:

The truth of the matter is that the RMX was a really good woods bike in the mid 90's, but it is getting old and parts are gonna be hard to find. I had a '96 RM250 a few years back (same basic motor and chassis) and even in '05-'06, it was getting hard to find parts. If the OP can get into an early '00s MX bike, it'll be a lot easier to service over the next few years.

Yeah, and the fact that Hawkins was getting older and moving from a racer to a team owner had nothing to do with the fact that he wasn't as fast on a Yamaha thumper as he was on an RMX :smirk:

The truth of the matter is that the RMX was a really good woods bike in the mid 90's, but it is getting old and parts are gonna be hard to find. I had a '96 RM250 a few years back (same basic motor and chassis) and even in '05-'06, it was getting hard to find parts. If the OP can get into an early '00s MX bike, it'll be a lot easier to service over the next few years.

iv looked up a fair few parts and as long as i dont need to do a big end, parts still are not that hard to get (hear in Australia) plenty on ebay, but thanks for the advice.