Sign in to follow this  

RM Fork Spring Question

I have an 02 E Model converted to SM that I have put 01 RM125 Forks on. I've been riding it like it is for a couple of months and decided its timing to do something with the stiff ride it has. The front end is stiff enough the forks never compress when you run over little bumps in the road, and you feel everything (arm pump like crazy when i get where I'm going) I weigh between 150 -160 lbs and my question is do I buy rm springs for that weight rider or do I have to get them a little stiffer than that since the bike is heavier than an RM?

there is no way stock rm125 fork springs are too stiff for a drz. there is something going on with those forks.

you get springs in the same rate you would on drz forks,but for the rm125 forks.

I bought the forks off ebay, they don't seem to be binding or anything, I'm thinking the forks had been resprung for a heavier person. If I would have thought about it I would have looked for a rate when I repacked them.

What Rate springs come stock on the SM. My brother had a stock SM and it rode great. Is it sprung for my weight from factory?

Stock Fork Spring Rate: 0.40 kg/mm(stock) for a 2001 RM 125

Recommended Fork Spring Rate for your weight is : 0.414 kg/mm for RM 125

That is the recommendation for dirt or trail riding.

For supermoto you would want it stiffer yet.

Stock Fork Spring Rate: 0.44 kg/mm(stock) For Drz E

Recommended Fork Spring Rate for your weight is : 0.478 kg/mm For Drz E

That is the recommendation for dirt or trail.

Again for supermoto you would want it stiffer yet.

Stock Fork Spring Rate: 0.44 kg/mm(stock) for Drz SM

Recommended Fork Spring Rate for your weight is : 0.529 kg/mm for Drz SM

That is the recommendation for Supermoto

These numbers are based on Racetechs spring rate calculater.

As Eddie said, if those forks are stock, there is no way they can be too stiff unless the prior owner had them re sprung for a much heavier weight or there is something wrong with them. Re valving and or a different weight and volume of fork oil may be in order as well.

Mike :thumbsup::confused: