Sign in to follow this  

Swingarm Hell

Hey guys. So I had an awesome day yesterday. My bike has been sitting in the garage for a few weeks until i had enough money for a chain and sprockets. I got paid friday and went to the bike shop. My buddy came over and helped me break my chain to the right size, put everything on, and now its time to adjust the little bit of slack in the chain and is too little to remove another link. Well. My buddy snapped the adjustment bolt on one side because it was siezed in. Ive sprayed pb blaster in it, almost half a can. I carefully heated it. And I still can not get the extractor to turn it. It has a good bite, but its just in there too hard. I dont have much bolt to work with, about a 1/8th of an inch, and theres about an inch to an inch and a half still in the swingarm. Any advice? I have a buddy who can take it to work, drill it out, and either helicoil it or re-tap it to a different size. Im just worried about the size of the bolt head. if its a bigger bolt. Sure would hate to have to buy a whole swingarm due to a 73 cent bolt. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

Hey guys. So I had an awesome day yesterday. My bike has been sitting in the garage for a few weeks until i had enough money for a chain and sprockets. I got paid friday and went to the bike shop. My buddy came over and helped me break my chain to the right size, put everything on, and now its time to adjust the little bit of slack in the chain and is too little to remove another link. Well. My buddy snapped the adjustment bolt on one side because it was siezed in. Ive sprayed pb blaster in it, almost half a can. I carefully heated it. And I still can not get the extractor to turn it. It has a good bite, but its just in there too hard. I dont have much bolt to work with, about a 1/8th of an inch, and theres about an inch to an inch and a half still in the swingarm. Any advice? I have a buddy who can take it to work, drill it out, and either helicoil it or re-tap it to a different size. Im just worried about the size of the bolt head. if its a bigger bolt. Sure would hate to have to buy a whole swingarm due to a 73 cent bolt. Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

If you helicoil it or use a timesert(thread insert) you won't change the bolt size, so no worries. Dont tap it for an oversize bolt.

Yeah, i hope he can just drill it out just to the threads, so the helicoil will work. But if it goes past the threads, then it will have to be a bigger bolt i guess.

Take a drill bit thats a bit smaller than the bolt and try drilling through the middle all the way through. This will let the bolt collaspe and fall out. I've had to do in on more that one occasion. I suggest getting a small bit just to make the first hole, then go a bit bigger.

That's why you pull those bolts and use anti-sieze on them. Good luck drilling them straight. That's not a fun job.

Not that it's sold around every street corner, but Nitric Acid (concentrated) is just the trick.

It will kill anything steel, but won't touch aluminium. It's really great for this exact thing, but you have to be SUPER-DUPER careful and remove ANY steel parts from the area - including your swing arm bearings. And wear gloves, and goggles and apron and and and and and and... But it is a winner - I have been saved often with this.

OR

Take it really slowly and drill it out in ever increasing sizes. When you can get it to a stage where a sharp pick and a light tap with a hammer will prize remaining thread away from the swingarm, you have won. Take it slow and steady.

Even if you want to helicoil after as a precaution, you still need to get the sucker out in decent fashion first.