want to improve my mpgs on xr 650 l

my bike is nuts in power but im only getting 60 miles on my tank i want to drive to work 30 miles away without killing my motor havent got a tooth count on my sprockets but the front comes up real easy although its fun i bought the bike for commutes and not having to avoid potholes lol.any gear recomindations for me gonna start fresh could really use some help

my bike is nuts in power but im only getting 60 miles on my tank i want to drive to work 30 miles away without killing my motor havent got a tooth count on my sprockets but the front comes up real easy although its fun i bought the bike for commutes and not having to avoid potholes lol.any gear recomindations for me gonna start fresh could really use some help

Go with stock.......... 15/45 ..that`s best for normal highway/slab use........get rid of the wennie gas tank and get a Clarke 4.0 or something.i had the OE tank for 2 years,it was getting to be a pain in the :thumbsup: always looking for gas stations and wondering if i was going to be stranded in the woods..

B

60 miles on a tank? wow. i usually get about 100 miles before i have to kick on the reserve. i would go with brian on this on. go with the 15/45 gearing and a bigger tank would be a big help. what have you done to your bike to get this kind of mileage? ive got all the mods minus a bigger piston. how can it be that big of a difference? you must be driving that thing hard

or..... back off the hooligan riding style a bit:smirk: My bike is tweaked quite a bit and still gets about 45 mpg... if I behave :thumbsup:

With stock internals, a Q4 slip on and Dave's mods (OEM carb), I was getting about 53 mpg.

Lucky you guys still have cheap gas..Put $10.00 (4 litres or a gallon to you non metrics) in my XL600 yesterday and threw it on reserve after 130kms..Enjoy the cheap while you still have it.

I would gear it higher than stock for a 30 mile commute. 15/40 or 42 would be REALLY nice on the road. And more relaxed rpm for sure. I ran 14/37 (=15/40) with my 350R and it was great. Very relaxed and planted feeling, and you've got more power so you'd have more top end still.

no im babying it it was moded when i bought it know the smog pump is off it its got a hollow t4 pro circut old style no way to repack it either no interals it runs alot difrrent than the other 93 i bought for a project i think its got a hot cam by the way it idles its a total diffrent bike than the second xr 650 l i have and that has mods also as soon as i get a jack im gonna check bearing front and back also thanks for the spocket size guys ill post a picture of my red white and blues soon

Did you rejet? Jetting for max power is way different than jetting fro max mileage. Teh stock jetting is close to max mpg.

im gonna look into it after i finance my exsaust and i was thinking about a mikuni 38mm flatside cab but i just ordered stock gearing jt front and rear sprocket and did 520 oring chain i wanna see what that does my rear sprocket is a 45 i dont know what the front is yet i am still trying tofugure out if i want big gun full because i like that raw welded look or the fmf dont know if i want the hi flow or powerbomb any insight on that would be helpfull too

First, what does your plug look like? Is it wet and dark? I'm guessing it is. If that is the case, go down a size on your main jet.

Tires? Try some Pirelli MT90s. Fantastic on the road and better than you think in the dirt.

If you really want to squeeze all you can from it, try a non o-ring chain. They have less resistance and theyre cheaper to buy. The only downside is that you need to lube it pretty often. A good blast of Liquid Wrench chain lube every 100 miles or so is all you need.

First, what does your plug look like? Is it wet and dark? I'm guessing it is. If that is the case, go down a size on your main jet.

Tires? Try some Pirelli MT90s. Fantastic on the road and better than you think in the dirt.

If you really want to squeeze all you can from it, try a non o-ring chain. They have less resistance and theyre cheaper to buy. The only downside is that you need to lube it pretty often. A good blast of Liquid Wrench chain lube every 100 miles or so is all you need.

Great point and the single most important thing. (next to checking for fuel leaks) You need to keep checking the plug. Then lean out your mixture screw 2 clicks at a time. If the plug is still carbon fouled or wet, you then need to go down to smaller jet. Keep leaning out the mixture a little at a time until your plug shows a brownish/grey color.

im trying to figure mine out too... I get about 40mpg on the road, suck.

160/55 w 2 turns... plug is brown

fmf q4 uncorked dave/brian mods..

stock gearing.

I don't romp too much but I cruise 60-65

or..... back off the hooligan riding style a bit:smirk: My bike is tweaked quite a bit and still gets about 45 mpg... if I behave :smirk:

With stock internals, a Q4 slip on and Dave's mods (OEM carb), I was getting about 53 mpg.

im calling BS on 45mpg. my bike is setup just as yours and i get around 35mpg. what sprokets are you running? i have had to kick in the RESV at 65 miles of easy riding around town and a lil bit of highway,55 to 60 mph. fill a fella rides in.

wow...how are we getting crazy differences in mpg. im running 55/158 jetting, k&n filter, fmf megamax exhuast. (just like the supertrap with the disks), stock gearing, and a hotcam stage one with stock piston, and i get around 50-55 mpg. do you guys fill your tank to the tip top (about a 1 and half from the top) i gues dont get how you guys are having to kick on the reserve at 65. thats crazy to me.

holey moley... im going to put a 158 in... I get a consitant 37-40mpg if on the slab. maybe I need to stop poppin wheelies lol

wow...how are we getting crazy differences in mpg. im running 55/158 jetting, k&n filter, fmf megamax exhuast. (just like the supertrap with the disks), stock gearing, and a hotcam stage one with stock piston, and i get around 50-55 mpg. do you guys fill your tank to the tip top (about a 1 and half from the top) i gues dont get how you guys are having to kick on the reserve at 65. thats crazy to me.

Because you have crazy differences in how hard folks twist the throttle. :smirk:

I have a Clarke.. fill to top, use a electric speedo that's accurate to my GPS within 1/2mph.

150-160miles I hit reserve, put 4gal in.