Need help pricing my DR650...

After several years of having fun with the DR, it's sadly time for it to go. I rode a grand total of two times last year and haven't ridden it once this year yet. Between work and my son's sports and Scout activities I don't see getting out on the bike until at least September or October. Trying to figure out how to price it and hoping you guys can help.

2003 DR650SE. Bought it from a local guy and it had 1900 miles on it. The previous owner wasn't running a skid plate and got a rock in the center of the cases...right on the seam between the halves. It had a hairline crack in it and would weep when fully warmed up but then stop when cool. Rode it like that until 3,200 miles.

After a fruitless search for matched cases, I found a used engine with just under 5,000 miles in CA. I had the engine shipped to Jesse at Keintech who pulled the top end and installed JE High Compression piston kit, adjusted the valves, installed the updated metal lower gasket and inspected the stator and clutch.

Bike now has 6,041 miles in total...meaning the engine has about 7,800 miles on it...but the top end has about 2,800 miles on it.

Bike runs flawlessly. 90% of my riding was off road...a mix of single track at Thomaston Dam in CT and maintained fire roads and "ancient roads" in the Berkshires (MA) and VT. Cosmetically...the plastic has some scratches which should be expected...mechanically, the bike is better than new.

Some of the other work and parts going with the bike:

Suspension. Done spring of 2009.

Eibach front and rear springs...set up for a 210lb rider (with gear), $225

Racetech Gold Cartridge Emulators for forks, $169

Fork rebuild, install Racetechs, new seals, new oil, $175

Cogent Dynamics rear shock w/ceramic coating, $525

Engine:

Aforementioned JE High Compression piston kit and top end rebuild, $400

Ground exhaust header weld.

Pipe wrapped in high temp header tape from engine to mid-pipe.

FMFQ2 exhaust (needs rebuild by now), $329

Keihin 39mm FCR-MX rebuilt and jetted to perfection by MXRob himself, $425

PowerNow for FCR-MX, $90

Extended fuel screw, $20

Modded airbox top with Keintech dual stage filter, $60

ProCycle Quick Throttle, $54

Controls:

IMS SuperSport pegs, $70

ProTaper SE ATV Midrise bars, $48

Scott grips, $18

ProCycle mirror extenders, $32

Acerbis enduro handguards with wings, $67

Other items installed:

Suzuki Gel Seat, $150 (still have OEM)

Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag, $80

EXL (no name) tail bag, $40

LED Tail Light, $28

Mid height windscreen (keeps wind off shoulders at highway speed), $80

EBC Red Pads front and rear in 2009, $40

Dunlop D606 front and rear in 2009, $150

Keintech Skid Plate, $80

Keintech Chain Rollers, $30

Front sprocket one tooth smaller from Keintech, $35

ProMoto billet cargo rack, $154

Items not installed but going with bike:

Original engine (hairline crack at case junction, but good otherwise)

Original carb

Original muffler (boat anchor)

Original seat

GSXR muffler (used), $75

GSXR adapter plate (laser cut), $25

Extra set of front and rear wheels (was going to build a supermoto set), $185

Acerbis Supermoto front fender, $25

Signal indicator bracket relocator, $30

DR 350 Speedo/tach combo (never got around to that project), $120

Roll of stainless steel wool for rebuilding FMFQ2, $35

Various clamps, filters, bolts, etc.

DR01.JPG

DR02.JPG

DR03.JPG

DR04.JPG

DR05.JPG

DR06.JPG

DR07.JPG

DR08.JPG

DR09.JPG

DR10.JPG

DR11.JPG

DR12.JPG

DR13.JPG

DR14.JPG

DR15.JPG

DR16.JPG

DR17.JPG

DR18.JPG

DR19.JPG

DR20.JPG

I will buy the exhaust gsxr from you, please let me know if you want to sell it and I am interested in several other items as well.

Let me know asap.

I'd really prefer to have the whole thing go as a package. Will keep you in the loop if I part it out.

Mike O.

you will lose your ass selling it the way it is. A bike is worth what it's worth and all the money you put into it wont raise the price much. I would put as many stock parts as possible back on and sell the bike and then sell all the parts on this site or ebay. I promise you'll get more money that way. I can't tell yo how many times I lost serious money on cars , trucks and bike putting way more money in them than thier worth. I don't dump money into anything that I don't plan on keeping a long time. I wish you luck and hope you don't lose to much.

This is absolutely correct. I got a good price on my used stockish 2000 and got carried away a little. If I was starting over I would wait to buy a bike like yours and save piles of cash on the mods. It isn'y not exactly "fair" but the market is what it is.

you will lose your ass selling it the way it is. A bike is worth what it's worth and all the money you put into it wont raise the price much. I would put as many stock parts as possible back on and sell the bike and then sell all the parts on this site or ebay. I promise you'll get more money that way. I can't tell yo how many times I lost serious money on cars , trucks and bike putting way more money in them than thier worth. I don't dump money into anything that I don't plan on keeping a long time. I wish you luck and hope you don't lose to much.

That's a great price ... my guess is it will be sold quickly at that price.

If you were willing to take the time ... and do the work .... you could part it all out and make quite a bit more.

My guess in stock form with NONE of the extras ... you could get around $2500 to $3000.

Selling Off EVERYTHING .... I'm guessing would easily bring another $2000.

The Wheel set, Cogent shock, Pro Moto rack, GSXR pipe, RT forks, FMF, FCR carb are ALL highly sought after pieces. If I had any money I'd buy it myself!

But I know how you feel too ... sometimes you just want to move on. Who ever gets your bike for $3500 will have done very well indeed.

Best of luck! ?

Curious ... are you no longer riding at all ... or have you moved onto another bike? What bike?

Curious ... are you no longer riding at all ... or have you moved onto another bike? What bike?

I wish I had an extra hour a week. I am in an industry that is counter cyclical to the economy so when things are really bad in the economy, things are really good in my industry. That won't change for quite some time.

When all is said and done, I will probably buy another bike...most likely a Buell Ulysses...but for now I just don't have an extra 30 minutes a week to ride.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd be happy to get $3500 for it.

Mike O.

Not sure if this is sold or not, but if you want to sell the parts I would personally come and pick up a few things from you...if you r in Connecticut

I am interested in the following ...(May buy all the below or some, need to see in person). So dibbs on the following if you do decide to go the 'part & sell' route...

Keihin 39mm FCR-MX rebuilt and jetted to perfection by MXRob himself, $425

PowerNow for FCR-MX, $90

Extended fuel screw, $20

IMS SuperSport pegs, $70

Wolfman Enduro Tank Bag, $80

LED Tail Light, $28

GSXR adapter plate (laser cut), $25

Extra set of front and rear wheels (was going to build a supermoto set), $185

• 6 months later...

Hello, My name is Andrew, I bought this bike and still have most of the parts that were extra that I would be willing to sell. Though I'm in Idaho, not CT.

Anywho, it me up if you are interested, we would work out shipping.

208 867 6075.

Andrew

Yes folks, we have a winner! :bonk:

His name is Andrew and got the deal of the decade, at least! :busted:

Wow! What a fantastic bike you got for the price...

If you sell off the items you don't want/need you will almost end up with a free bike. Talk about "buying right"...:banana:

Oh, well. some of us have to overpay so that some like you get the other end of the price range. Buy high, sell low seems to be my way of life. ?

Why don't you post a list of things that you are willing to sell and your asking prices? I am sure that many of us would like to relieve you of anything you don't want to keep.

OK! Ill post a list.. I pretty much have everything that Mike origionally sold me. This bike has been an adventure already. My dad picked it up from Mike back In May 2011. He decided to drive it out to me in June 2011. Starting from Pittsburg, He broke down in Dodge City, Kansas. The Cush drive Exploded while he was on the highway..... Ruined the drive, the swing arm and the hub. We decided that the swing arm was bent by the origional owner when he slammed a rock. (thats why they replaced the engine). The Handlebars seem a little off too.. but o well she still eats the backroads up. .. just gas it and point the wheel (and, of course, hold on)! The suspension is amazing! Anywho, my dad caught the train back to Pittsburg, grabbed his truck and got my bike the :bonk: out of Dodge. Drove it to me in Boise, ID. I love this bike. I do need a better seat however, I'm thinking I'll try the corbin.