Sign in to follow this  

Wheel Bearing Replacement

Yesterday I replaced the tires on my XRL and my wifes CRF230L rear with Dunlop 606's. Got to looking a the bearings and there isn't much to keep dirt and water out of them.

Both bikes have over 4,000 miles and I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb for wheel bearing replacement. I do alot of rafting and our group is always having somebody experience bearing problems......it can really ruin a trip, thus my question here.

Do you guys replace wheel bearings as part of general maintenance plan and if so on what service cycle?

Thanks for the Nubie Question!

RiverRunner

Yesterday I replaced the tires on my XRL and my wifes CRF230L rear with Dunlop 606's. Got to looking a the bearings and there isn't much to keep dirt and water out of them.

Both bikes have over 4,000 miles and I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb for wheel bearing replacement. I do alot of rafting and our group is always having somebody experience bearing problems......it can really ruin a trip, thus my question here.

Do you guys replace wheel bearings as part of general maintenance plan and if so on what service cycle?

Thanks for the Nubie Question!

RiverRunner

i never heard of changing them till you feel some slop. when wheel bearings are starting to go, you can feel a little play in the wheel by just trying to move it side to side, you will feel the thump from the play in the bearings.

+1 here..when she starts wobbling they need doing.,can normally pick it when riding,,cornering goes all to hell but the simple "wobble test" when the rear end's up off the ground does..

i never heard of changing them till you feel some slop. when wheel bearings are starting to go, you can feel a little play in the wheel by just trying to move it side to side, you will feel the thump from the play in the bearings.

Buy replacement bearings that are sealed on both sides. Pop off one of the seals, remove the crappy factory grease and regrease with waterproof moly grease, reinstall the seal. Bearing life will be greatly extended.